New Orleans show may be rescheduled

strangedevice

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Apr 14 2008, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Apr 14 2008, 08:05 PM)
I wonder if the NBA will follow what it did last year concerning the Game 1 scheduling.

Four games were played Saturday: 3 Eastern Conference and 1 Western Conference.

Four games were played Sunday: 3 Western Conference and 1 Eastern Conference.

If the networks and the NBA do that again this year, the question will be is the potential matchup between the Hornets and the Mavs sexy enough to be a Sunday game? I would think it's more attractive than Rockets-Jazz, which by the way was the lone Western Conference matchup to play Game 1 on Saturday last year.

Three games that should be Sunday matchups based on league starpower:
-Cavs-Wizards (this same matchup was a Sunday Game 1 last year).
-Lakers-Nuggets
-Spurs-Suns

Will the league and the networks pick for the fourth Sunday matchup the name franchise that's back in the playoffs (Celtics) or the unique matchup between a team that's a shining light in a wrecked town and has a budding MVP candidate against an annual contender with the circus sideshow of an owner?

If the NBA believes the Hornets-Mavs are sexy for Sunday, that will allow Rush to perform Saturday night.

Sorry for the rambling post...Sometimes the old sportswriter in me comes out when it involves figuring out playoff possibilities and scheduling.

Interesting stuff. You're a former sportswriter...I'm a former sports broadcaster...and under ordinary "sports-only" circumstances, we'd probably be intrigued about the 1st round playoff matchups. However... except for the Celtics...I could now give a flying frak about it, thanks to this potential snafu.

I'm with you, though...the Celtics have all that history and whatnot, but everyone knows they will absolutely pound the Hawks. The better TV matchup is between the 2 more evenly matched teams and that would be Hornets/Mavs (or whoever they end up playing). So hopefully that's the one that'll end up on Sunday. We'll see.......

I do think you're right about the 3 marquee games and the likelihood they'll be on Sunday.

LOL FV you said "frak!"

I assume you watch "Battlestar Gallactica?"

We do too!

Dang it, I hope this works out!

Let's keep watching the situation and hope reason prevails!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if they push this back, im f***** totally. since lowes is a shitty scheduler, they are always up front with "ask for time off a month in advance". i know im only a few hours from new orleans, but that totally screws up my whole thing and i want a successful hat trick with rush concerts, this will be my third one, and come hell or high water, im seeing the boys on saturday night.

Hi Friends!

As you know I live here in New Orleans and I've been waiting for this show for a long time.

I do have season tickets for the Saints, but not for the Hornets; though I do follow the team and am happy for their success in reaching post-season play.

HOWEVER, there's no reason why the NBA can't adjust the playoff schedule and have the Hornets play their first home game on Sunday afternoon/evening. Imagine the scheduling conflicts that perhaps go on in larger markets that have NBA, NHL & Arena football teams that share the same facility...it can be done.

There are so many 'family' members here in the Forum and over on Counterparts that have shelled out Big Money, and spent a whole lot of time & effort in planning to come to New Orleans for this occassion; to have a good time, and help our economy; and for that I say thank you.

The Superdome would be the only option for another venue; U.N.O.'s Lakefront Arena won't be ready until May.

My Friends, I have to leave for mass & work, then to get the new live CD later today; we'll talk tonight.

I thank you for your time; y'all take care.

(I posted an extended version of the below message on NOLA.com in response to an irate Rush fan from Canada who's already in New Orleans for the show. This includes some questions that can be discussed here):

You think the NBA would make all kinds of scheduling accommodations for a concert if it involved some big-name hip-hop/soul artist (Jay Z, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, 50 Cent, etc.)? I think it would for them, but not for a band like Rush. That's the mindset of the NBA these days.

There's no doubt blame should be placed on both Anthem/SRO and Live Nation for booking the April 19 date knowing it could conflict with an NBA playoff game. They went ahead and did it, and now it could cost the tour one of its best-selling shows. I can assure you the New Orleans Arena is making every effort to keep the Rush concert as planned. If that many tickets are sold, then Anthem/SRO and Live Nation owe it to us ticketholders to reschedule.

I'm going to be even more pissed off if Anthem/SRO & Live Nation say screw it and not bother rescheduling the concert. It'll send a message to what they really think about us fans.

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Apr 15 2008, 06:59 AM)
(I posted an extended version of the below message on NOLA.com in response to an irate Rush fan from Canada who's already in New Orleans for the show. This includes some questions that can be discussed here):

You think the NBA would make all kinds of scheduling accommodations for a concert if it involved some big-name hip-hop/soul artist (Jay Z, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, 50 Cent, etc.)? I think it would for them, but not for a band like Rush. That's the mindset of the NBA these days.

There's no doubt blame should be placed on both Anthem/SRO  and Live Nation for booking the April 19 date knowing it could conflict with an NBA playoff game. They went ahead and did it, and now it could cost the tour one of its best-selling shows. I can assure you the New Orleans Arena is making every effort to keep the Rush concert as planned. If that many tickets are sold, then Anthem/SRO and Live Nation owe it to us ticketholders to reschedule.

I'm going to be even more pissed off if Anthem/SRO & Live Nation say screw it and not bother rescheduling the concert. It'll send a message to what they really think about us fans.

Boy this person has really gone out of his/her way to be in New Orleans for the show. And on RIAB, there's a person who says they're coming in from Sweden (I think) to go.

I can understand rescheduling the show if say, a tornado hit the building and made it unusable.

A basketball game is not an act of God - it's a human event which can be scheduled by humans who use reason, logic and common sense to figure out that another venue or another date for the game other than Saturday can make both events happen, regardless of who screwed up and made the scheduling conflict.

I still don't see why either the show or the basketball game can't happen in the Superdome.

On this end, we now have three contingency plans at least in the works. I'll be glad when the suspense is over Thursday morning!

QUOTE (skyswing @ Apr 15 2008, 08:22 AM)
QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Apr 15 2008, 06:59 AM)

There's no doubt blame should be placed on both Anthem/SRO  and Live Nation for booking the April 19 date knowing it could conflict with an NBA playoff game. They went ahead and did it, and now it could cost the tour one of its best-selling shows. I can assure you the New Orleans Arena is making every effort to keep the Rush concert as planned. If that many tickets are sold, then Anthem/SRO and Live Nation owe it to us ticketholders to reschedule.

Boy this person has really gone out of his/her way to be in New Orleans for the show. And on RIAB, there's a person who says they're coming in from Sweden (I think) to go.

I can understand rescheduling the show if say, a tornado hit the building and made it unusable.

A basketball game is not an act of God - it's a human event which can be scheduled by humans who use reason, logic and common sense to figure out that another venue or another date for the game other than Saturday can make both events happen, regardless of who screwed up and made the scheduling conflict.

I still don't see why either the show or the basketball game can't happen in the Superdome.

On this end, we now have three contingency plans at least in the works. I'll be glad when the suspense is over Thursday morning!

If the show is postponed, I think the only time it can be rescheduled is either April 22 or after the Atlanta show in July. You can count out April 21 because that is the likely date for Game 2 of the Hornets' playoff series.

Had SRO/Anthem & Live Nation done their NBA homework, they would've known Memphis' FedEx Forum was available April 19. The Grizzlies aren't going to the playoffs anytime soon.

The more I read this thread and the more I think about it, the angrier I get. I need to take a chill pill. Today's my birthday (45th) and I've got taxes to mail off. rofl3.gif I'll check back with y'all Thursday morning.

there were numerous other venues that got completely overlooked which would not have any conflicting issues...

birmingham

tupelo

memphis

little rock

dsoto civic center, southaven,ms

heck even mobile al has an outdoor venue that would work....

nashville has hockey playoffs but could of worked as well.

new orleans is known for its screwups....not going there!

some are travelling overseas to see that show. they might not recover from this one..

QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Apr 15 2008, 11:21 AM)

new orleans is known for its screwups....not going there!

Come on, don't knock New Orleans for this, as if we need any more of that.

Someone did some research and found that there are 5 venues that have this same conflict this weekend, a Saturday night event and now a playoff game. The sad truth is that the NBA gets priority over these events, one of the benefits for bringing in millions and millions of dollars to these arenas every season.

All we can do is hope that we are not one of the cities that gets disappointed this weekend.

(That being said, Go Hornets! (Sorry, I have to, I am a season ticket holder))

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Apr 15 2008, 09:54 AM)
The more I read this thread and the more I think about it, the angrier I get. I need to take a chill pill. Today's my birthday (45th) and I've got taxes to mail off. rofl3.gif I'll check back with y'all Thursday morning.

Happy Birthday, TB...sucks that it's on Income Confiscation Day. Hope this all works out and we'll see you (and everyone else) Saturday night as originally intended.

I am just sick about this. I did not get to go last year and now if this show gets moved to a weekday, or cancelled, I can not go. I really hope it stays on Saturday, but I have a bad feeling it will not. Makes me just sick to my stomach.

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Apr 15 2008, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Apr 15 2008, 09:54 AM)
The more I read this thread and the more I think about it, the angrier I get. I need to take a chill pill. Today's my birthday (45th) and I've got taxes to mail off.  rofl3.gif  I'll check back with y'all Thursday morning.

Happy Birthday, TB...sucks that it's on Income Confiscation Day. Hope this all works out and we'll see you (and everyone else) Saturday night as originally intended.

goodpost.gif I think all I can say to that is "Yes" and ditto on the Happy Birthday!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 15 2008, 02:44 PM)
I don't like NBA basketball. Seems it is involving more and more uneducated, illiterate thugs who are always getting into some trouble or scandals on and/or off the court. I doubt many of the "champion players" can even spell RUSH!

New Orleans basketball players have been nothing but classy and intelligent. Chris Paul seems like one of the coolest people you could ever meet.

My point is, that this doesn't have to be a point of contention. NBA players have nothing to do with this decision, which ever way it goes. It might make you feel better to insult people, since I know you're probably just as mad as all of us. But all of the "F the NBA!" and "I hope the Hornets lose for doing this to us" and insulting the players that is going on on this board and on RIAB doesn't change anything. It just makes you look like an idiot.

QUOTE (RushAubie @ Apr 15 2008, 01:18 PM)
I am just sick about this. I did not get to go last year and now if this show gets moved to a weekday, or cancelled, I can not go. I really hope it stays on Saturday, but I have a bad feeling it will not. Makes me just sick to my stomach.
062802puke_prv.gif

Know how you feel...I was already having a lousy day yesterday, then got this stomach punch to top it all off.

Better day today, though...listening to "Digital Man" from S&A Live with a goofy grin on my face.

By the way, Aubie: War Damn Eagle!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Someone, that actually follows this stupid sport called basketball, answer this question for me...

Is it currently 100% decided that the Hornets are locked into a home game for this weekend? Or is it contingent on them "winning out"?

Is it still possible that they will not get a home-town bid for the first playoff game???

Or, will there be another team playing a playoff game in New Orleans Saturday, even if the Hornets end up playing on Sunday or out of town???

Does the NBA have that venue regardless for the first round of games, no matter what team they schedule for the location???

Again, this whole thing is making me sick - I've had a headache all day!

QUOTE (rushbass @ Apr 15 2008, 04:53 PM)
Someone, that actually follows this stupid sport called basketball, answer this question for me...

Is it currently 100% decided that he Hornets locked in a home game for this weekend? Or is it contingent on them "winning out"?

Only the New Orleans Hornets can play at their arena.

Yes, they have secured home court advantage, meaning they will have a game at their arena this weekend.

QUOTE (yyz311 @ Apr 15 2008, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (rushbass @ Apr 15 2008, 04:53 PM)

Is it currently 100% decided that he Hornets locked in a home game for this weekend?  Or is it contingent on them "winning out"? 

Only the New Orleans Hornets can play at their arena.

Yes, they have secured home court advantage, meaning they will have a game at their arena this weekend.

Thanks for the information... trink39.gif

so, all we can hope for is that when the NBA makes their decision, they decide to schedule the game Sunday...

Oh, and BTW, I hope you (or anyone that does follow/enjoy basketball did not take offense at my statement... my apologies...

we are just understandably upset... we have noone to blame but the promoters for making such an error in judgement!

QUOTE (rushbass @ Apr 15 2008, 05:53 PM)

Is it currently 100% decided that the Hornets are locked into a home game for this weekend? Or is it contingent on them "winning out"?

Is it still possible that they will not get a home-town bid for the first playoff game???

Or, will there be another team playing a playoff game in New Orleans Saturday, even if the Hornets end up playing on Sunday or out of town???

Does the NBA have that venue regardless for the first round of games, no matter what team they schedule for the location???

They don't have to win out necessarily to secure a home bid for this weekend.

A lot of teams factor into how the playoff scenario will end up in the Western Conference. It is ultra-competitive, and kudos to the Hornets for even being in this position. If they win out, they will certainly play at home this weekend, but they are almost as likely to do so even if they don't.

And no, there would not be an early playoff game in New Orleans if the Hornets did not secure home court advantage, but that is what we have to live with.

Arenas all across the US are going through this this weekend. Bruce Springstein, Lynyrd Skynyrd, arena football, and Rush are all in danger of being postponed or canceled in cities that will now host playoff games. It sucks, but the situation is not unique.

Like I said before, all we can do is hope that we don't get disappointed. I just wish we didn't have to endure this agony until Thursday...

QUOTE (holdyourfire @ Apr 15 2008, 06:05 PM)

Is it currently 100% decided that the Hornets are locked into a home game for this weekend?  Or is it contingent on them "winning out"? 

A lot of teams factor into how the playoff scenario will end up in the Western Conference. It is ultra-competitive, and kudos to the Hornets for even being in this position. If they win out, they will certainly play at home this weekend, but they are almost as likely to do so even if they don't.

And no, there would not be an early playoff game in New Orleans if the Hornets did not secure home court advantage, but that is what we have to live with.

Arenas all across the US are going through this this weekend. Bruce Springstein, Lynyrd Skynyrd, arena football, and Rush are all in danger of being postponed or canceled in cities that will now host playoff games. It sucks, but the situation is not unique.

Like I said before, all we can do is hope that we don't get disappointed. I just wish we didn't have to endure this agony until Thursday...

Thanks for your input... trink39.gif You are right, we are all in this together...

Too bad the UNO Lakefront Arena wasn't finished when the promotors booked the tour... I would have rather seen them there anyway!

Let's hope for the best, and I hope to see you this Saturday in New Orleans before the show!

QUOTE (rushbass @ Apr 15 2008, 06:10 PM)

Is it currently 100% decided that the Hornets are locked into a home game for this weekend?  Or is it contingent on them "winning out"? 

Thanks for your input... trink39.gif You are right, we are all in this together...

Too bad the UNO Lakefront Arena wasn't finished when the promotors booked the tour... I would have rather seen them there anyway!

Let's hope for the best, and I hope to see you this Saturday in New Orleans before the show!

From what I have seen, if the Hornets win only 1 of the 2 remaining games, they will play at home this weekend. If they lose both games, they could still get homefield. But, there is a chance for them to lose homefield if the hornets lose both games and 'other' teams in their division win. This is just what I read, so I'm not sure. At any rate, I will be rooting for the Celtics tonight. (Sorry Hornet fans)

I have read some NBA internet sites, and the concensus is that the NBA will 'try' to accomodate any prescheduled events in their venues. This is just NBA fans talking, so I wouldn't hold my breath. It would be nice if some of the NBA organization elites were Rush fans. If they were smart, they would schedule this possible game for Sunday and make a huge announcement to Rush fans that they are fans themselves. Hell, I'm dreaming now. HAHA. See what this is doing to me??!!

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Apr 15 2008, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE (rushbass @ Apr 15 2008, 06:10 PM)

From what I have seen, if the Hornets win only 1 of the 2 remaining games, they will play at home this weekend. If they lose both games, they could still get homefield. But, there is a chance for them to lose homefield if the hornets lose both games and 'other' teams in their division win. This is just what I read, so I'm not sure. At any rate, I will be rooting for the Celtics tonight. (Sorry Hornet fans)

I have read some NBA internet sites, and the concensus is that the NBA will 'try' to accomodate any prescheduled events in their venues. This is just NBA fans talking, so I wouldn't hold my breath. It would be nice if some of the NBA organization elites were Rush fans. If they were smart, they would schedule this possible game for Sunday and make a huge announcement to Rush fans that they are fans themselves. Hell, I'm dreaming now. HAHA. See what this is doing to me??!!

The whole thing is driving me to drink! Barq's and Bacardi anyone?! laugh.gif

Archived