Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

Yeah, I agree with that. But Neil does surpass Gavin in many other places as well.

I've kind of decided that they're equal, in the sense that they're better than each other in different ways.

I wonder if they're friends. They should drum battle each other tongue.gif

I bet they are friends. Anyway, both bands are just full of monster musicians.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 29 2010, 05:18 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Dec 29 2010, 02:27 AM)
Really digging these guys a whole bunch...they're pretty amazing. Love the atmosphere.

Thanks for all the help guys!  biggrin.gif

Also, I just bough FoaBP. Anesthetize is beautiful, and I love Lerxt's solo in it.

I also think Pure Narcotic is one of the three most beautiful songs in the world. (Not counting classical music).

In my opinion, they are:
1.Bravado
2.Nevermore (by Queen)
3.Pure Narcotic

I really like that tune too. It is a song about how SW doesn't write songs like other bands per wishes of the industry. Hence the listening to The Bends by Radiohead.

There are no drums in Pure Narcotic (sorry, Gompers sad.gif ), which fascinates me because it took me a while to realize it. SUCH an amazing song. I'm telling you.... SW is one of the most brilliant songwriters, composers, musicians out there. Just about everything the man touches is GOLD.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Dec 29 2010, 11:13 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Dec 29 2010, 06:59 PM)
Is there a reason why Trains and Sentimental have similar riffs? Or rather, practically the same riffs?

Or is it just a coincidence? I'm trying to find a connection.

Because both songs kick some serious ass? 1022.gif

I think they like to do what Pink Floyd used to do, which is reference other songs. That sampled "metal" riff used in both "Anesthetize" and "What Happens Now?" for example.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Dec 29 2010, 07:36 PM)
Is Gavin quite possibly Neil's equal...or even...his successor?

I've been listening to this guy's drumming...he is a monster, very creative, and I think him and Neil are quite possibly the two best drummers alive.

Definitely Neil's successor. Remember when Neil was THE prog-rock drummer to listen to and talk about? Remember when Neil's drumming was influencing drummers everywhere? Remember when Neil was winning Best Prog Drummer every year in the Modern Drummer magazine polls? Gavin is sitting in that seat now.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Dec 29 2010, 08:59 PM)
Is there a reason why Trains and Sentimental have similar riffs? Or rather, practically the same riffs?

You think that's bad??? Put 'Normal' next to 'Sentimental'...You'd think it was the same song entirely!!

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Jan 6 2011, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Dec 29 2010, 08:59 PM)

You think that's bad??? Put 'Normal' next to 'Sentimental'...You'd think it was the same song entirely!!

Aside from the fact that Normal blows Sentimental out of the water. 1022.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 6 2011, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Dec 29 2010, 07:36 PM)
Is Gavin quite possibly Neil's equal...or even...his successor?

I've been listening to this guy's drumming...he is a monster, very creative, and I think him and Neil are quite possibly the two best drummers alive.

Definitely Neil's successor. Remember when Neil was THE prog-rock drummer to listen to and talk about? Remember when Neil's drumming was influencing drummers everywhere? Remember when Neil was winning Best Prog Drummer every year in the Modern Drummer magazine polls? Gavin is sitting in that seat now.

I think he did a stellar job with King Crimson a few years ago.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jan 6 2011, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Jan 6 2011, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Dec 29 2010, 08:59 PM)

Aside from the fact that Normal blows Sentimental out of the water. 1022.gif

I was half joking there... wink.gif

Normal was the first song written for FoaBP and Sentimental was derived out of it...

After picking up the DVD just before christmas, I have been listening to PT on a daily basis - I'm addicted.

The lyrics, music composition, the riffs - just blow me away.

FoaBP is my favourite, followed by

In Absentia and

Deadwing.

Gavin Harrison - WOW!

QUOTE (Ranger J @ Jan 6 2011, 08:01 PM)
After picking up the DVD just before christmas, I have been listening to PT on a daily basis - I'm addicted.

The lyrics, music composition, the riffs - just blow me away.

In Absentia and
Deadwing.

Gavin Harrison - WOW!

Do you have any of their other albums? If not, get Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, and The Incident next. The Incident takes a few listens to fully appreciate it, but it is a great album. They are awesome! 1022.gif

Porcupine Tree is probably my second favorite band, next to Rush. The thing that is great about them is that each album is different and have a different "sound". No two albums are the same.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 7 2011, 10:12 AM)

The lyrics, music composition, the riffs  - just blow me away.

In Absentia and
Deadwing.

Gavin Harrison - WOW!

Do you have any of their other albums? If not, get Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, and The Incident next. The Incident takes a few listens to fully appreciate it, but it is a great album. They are awesome! 1022.gif

Porcupine Tree is probably my second favorite band, next to Rush. The thing that is great about them is that each album is different and have a different "sound". No two albums are the same.

Yeah I've managed to get hold of all of them - though those three are the albums that clicked with me on first listen.

I'm the same, Rush is still on the pedastal for me too, but PT is a close second.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 6 2011, 09:12 PM)

The lyrics, music composition, the riffs  - just blow me away.

In Absentia and
Deadwing.

Gavin Harrison - WOW!

It took me a while to get into The Incident. The first PT album that did not grab me at first listen.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 6 2011, 08:50 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 6 2011, 09:32 PM)
My favorite albums are Deadwing and Voyage 34.

I still don't have Voyage 34. How is it? It just seems too "out there" for me.

It is a little "out there." But, I like it. You should at least give it a listen.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 6 2011, 11:49 PM)
According to SW's facebook...

3rd Blackfield Album - March
2nd SW Solo Album - September
Album With Mikael Akerfeldt- "After That" (September - December)

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 6 2011, 10:55 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 6 2011, 08:50 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 6 2011, 09:32 PM)
My favorite albums are Deadwing and Voyage 34.

I still don't have Voyage 34. How is it? It just seems too "out there" for me.

It is a little "out there." But, I like it. You should at least give it a listen.

I'll pick it up as soon as possible. I read mixed reviews on it, so I wasn't sure if I should get it or not.