Buying a Bass

Alex

So, Ive decided I am going to start bass lessons. I am looking to buy a bass, so what kind would be good for a general rock sound. Something I could do YYZ and Tom Sawyer on tongue.gif

Sorry to disappoint but if this is going to be your first bass playing YYZ is going to be quite a long way off and I would suggest starting with something cheaper than a Geddy Lee, Fender Jazz in case you don't like it... If you're already a guitarist of course chances are you'll love it but if you're new to instruments all together best to start off with a starters set with the bass and amp included, that way you don't have to worry about wasting too much money if you decide its not for you plus you get everything you need right there straight away and some of them can be pretty decent.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Mar 23 2008, 02:29 PM)
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Yeah that was just a joke. I recommend a Ibenez Bass, I hear they make a nice bass for cheap. And like TheRocinanteKid Said, playing YYZ is a long long way off, thats a song many elite players can't get down. Tom Sawyer on the other hand is very easy except for the bass riff during the guitar solo. That was actually the first Rush song I learned all the way through, though that riff is still rough.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Mar 23 2008, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE (rushringleader @ Mar 23 2008, 02:29 PM)
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Yeah that was just a joke. I recommend a Ibenez Bass, I hear they make a nice bass for cheap. And like TheRocinanteKid Said, playing YYZ is a long long way off, thats a song many elite players can't get down. Tom Sawyer on the other hand is very easy except for the bass riff during the guitar solo. That was actually the first Rush song I learned all the way through, though that riff is still rough.

The problem with Tom Sawyer is the main riff isn't as complicated as many tabs make it out to be. It can sound just as good with around half the notes you see in some tabs. I was so lost I ended up working out my own version. Cool that you struggled through and made it the first song you learned on bass. Mine was Fly By Night and then I really pushed myself out and learned Limelight, that was a bloody struggle and a half! laugh.gif

QUOTE (asp324 @ Mar 23 2008, 09:42 PM)
Epiphone EB-0. Got it nearly two years ago for my first bass and I love it to death.

Not that expensive either.

Click!

That's cool. Not really a fan of the SG shape but at least it's different from what most people start out on and being Epiphone chances are you'll be scoring a great quality instrument for a great price.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 23 2008, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (asp324 @ Mar 23 2008, 09:42 PM)
Epiphone EB-0. Got it nearly two years ago for my first bass and I love it to death.

Not that expensive either.

Click!

That's cool. Not really a fan of the SG shape but at least it's different from what most people start out on and being Epiphone chances are you'll be scoring a great quality instrument for a great price.

Yeah, its pretty good quality. The only problem ive had is with the tone knob, and that only took the tightening of a washer to fix.

And when I got it, AC/DC was the start and end of all music, so I HAD to have it. laugh.gif

It's a great bass. I imagine ill still be playing it a long time from now even with other guitars.

Thanks guys. You all made great suggestions. All of the basses you guys listed above will give you a good sound though right? I mean lets say I decided to play YYZ. I dont want it to sound nothing like the real thing

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 25 2008, 02:53 PM)
Thanks guys. You all made great suggestions. All of the basses you guys listed above will give you a good sound though right? I mean lets say I decided to play YYZ. I dont want it to sound nothing like the real thing

i like the optimism applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Part 4 of a Trilogy @ Mar 30 2008, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 25 2008, 02:53 PM)

i like the optimism applaudit.gif

My thoughts exactly. laugh.gif

But yeah the sound/tone/whatever depends a lot more on the amplifier you have than the guitar or bass.

I just got a bass for Christmas and started learning, it's a Spector though I'm not sure on the model. I can play Marathon all the way through and most of Limelight, Animate, and Bravado.

It's a lot of fun. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Mar 31 2008, 06:57 PM)
The only possible correct answer to your question is:

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/GRI+4003JG.JPG

smile.gif

applaudit.gif

Edited by rushringleader

I love my Ibanez GSR200. The little 15W amp that came with it is crap, so I bought a Peavey MAX115 60W amp and it helped the tone out a lot. I'm planing on a BadAss II bridge and some new pickups (Probably EMG) to get a better tone and more sustain out of it, but I absolutely love the way it plays. I haven't picked up anything short of a GL Jazz Bass that I enjoy playing more or has a better feel to it.

Another great thing about this bass is that it has PJ pickups, not a single pickup like most budget basses, which will give you more flexibility and tone.

Edited by mfratt

I have an ibanez 5 string that I just love, and my son has the GSR200 with the 15 watt amp...it sounds decent, but when I plug it into my system in the studio it sounds AWESOME. Just like my 5 string, which I have ALWAYS thought sounded good.

The amp makes the bass in most cases, although you can't beat the Geddy Lee fender for the way it feels. You feel like you're playing the best that money can buy when you play one.

I do recommend the GSR200, but before you decide, if you are a little bit smaller in stature, i recommend going to a music store and trying out a 3/4 size bass. Stopped in the local shop just last week and picked up an ibanez 3/4 bass...I loved it. It felt like a guitar and had freaking AWESOME tone.

That was easily the fastes bass i've ever played.

If you are strapped for cash, then yeah you might want to start on a lower end bass. However, I can tell you that after 21 years of playing, I have not come across a bass that sounds, looks and feels as good as the Geddy Jazz for the price (and I got it used for $500 in mint condition) You can get them for slightly cheaper used if you look around hard enough, but most used are in the $500+ range. Edited by jacklifeson

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Mar 31 2008, 06:57 PM)
The only possible correct answer to your question is:

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/GRI+4003JG.JPG

smile.gif

Sounds great with Eggplant Revival, don't you think?! wink.gif laugh.gif

Edited by rushbass

QUOTE (jacklifeson @ Apr 15 2008, 11:18 AM)
I can also recommend a new Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. They are an awesome bass for the price (under $300). I got the fretless and it sounds and feels incredible.

The Squier basses are a good value... decent quality, and only about $300 new. Same thing with a used Fender.

Just don't buy one of those $99 "student" guitars in a cardboard box. If it's sold in a department store, a record store, or it's made by Cort, it's crap.