Jesus Camp

Sticklah

When I get a kitten I'm naming it Sin. wink.gif

Anyway it's interesting that religion is a part of every aspect of these kids lives from playtime, to home schollin, to all forms of media, and even their goals in life.

Those people might as well be from a different continent and culture for all the similarities I have with them.

Please, folks. No religion bashing, OK?

No, I'm not saying that any one of you have done it (so don't any of you go getting your shorts in a knot), I'm just launching a preemptive strike to prevent it happening should this thread take off.

Thanks and much love, folks.

-Jack

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 17 2008, 10:34 AM)
What is it about? Is it a movie or a documentary?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 16 2008, 05:26 PM)

Any disagreement with fundamentalist Christians more often than not is seen as an attack upon them and their faith.

Personally I'd rather not have a net nanny moderator treat the lowly posting peons as children.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman)

It's a documentary that follows a few children before and during their participation in a religious camp that teaches them how to spread Protestant Christianity to others. The film ends on an ominous note suggesting that these people are preparing and actively participating in some sort of cultural war.

QUOTE (Grandtheftcow @ Mar 17 2008, 07:57 PM)

Any disagreement with fundamentalist Christians more often than not is seen as an attack upon them and their faith.

Personally I'd rather not have a net nanny moderator treat the lowly posting peons as children.

It's not a request, it's a directive and therefore not open to debate.

Religion bashing of ANY kind is not tolerated outside of the political forum. Your future cooperation in this matter is expected.

It was not my intention to "treat you as a child". If you feel that is the case you are mistaken.

Thank you and have a good day.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 17 2008, 07:03 PM)

Religion bashing of ANY kind is not tolerated outside of the political forum. Your future cooperation in this matter is expected.

It was not my intention to "treat you as a child". If you feel that is the case you are mistaken.

Then obviously we have fundamental disagreements about the role moderators should play on message boards.

Enjoy your Internet high tower.

QUOTE (Grandtheftcow @ Mar 17 2008, 08:15 PM)

Then obviously we have fundamental disagreements about the role moderators should play on message boards.

So I'm committing the heinous sin of not fitting into your mold of an internet moderator?

Please accept my humblest apology for failing to read your mind.

Yikes, I hope you guys are just joking around.

Grandtheftcow, if you can amicably hang in here for a while, there's an excellent politics and religion sub forum (Sense O'Clock News) where such things are openly discussed. I think you'll find a great many people of a mind with you (regarding the fact that, as you mentioned, "Any disagreement with fundamentalist Christians more often than not is seen as an attack upon them and their faith") plus enough folks who don't agree, just to make it interesting! I can't find the link to the process for getting into Sense O'Clock News but I'm sure someone can find it for you if you're interested. I do recall there's a length of membership requirement, tho.

However, Jack's right - there's a great deal of sensitivity to such topics in other sub-forums, and there has been a lot of pain and angst in the past so we try to be especially careful about religion everywhere else... I kind of hope this particular thread gets moved over to the S.O.N. forum so we can head off this stuff (like Jack already tried to do sad.gif )

By the way, TRF has got some awesome and dedicated moderators and none of them act like "net nannys." We're all adults here, striving to respect one another and the integrity of the forum.

I'm not a moderator, have no internet high tower, and am not being sarcastic, but as one forum member to another... Chill, OK?

Kismet

To clarify OF's post, I believe the process for joining the political forum is to first make at least 100 posts with your account, then private message one of the admins (1-0-0-1, RushRevisited, or GhostGirl) asking them to grant you access.

Have fun... it becomes quite the hellhole from time to time.

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Mar 17 2008, 07:20 PM)

Grandtheftcow, if you can amicably hang in here for a while, there's an excellent politics and religion sub forum (Sense O'Clock News) where such things are openly discussed.  I think you'll find a great many people of a mind with you (regarding the fact that, as you mentioned,  "Any disagreement with fundamentalist Christians more often than not is seen as an attack upon them and their faith") plus enough folks who don't agree, just to make it interesting!  I can't find the link to the process for getting into Sense O'Clock News but I'm sure someone can find it for you if you're interested.  I do recall there's a length of membership requirement, tho.

However, Jack's right - there's a great deal of sensitivity to such topics in other sub-forums, and there has been a lot of pain and angst in the past so we try to be especially careful about religion everywhere else...  I kind of hope this particular thread gets moved over to the S.O.N. forum so we can head off this stuff (like Jack already tried to do sad.gif )

By the way, TRF has got some awesome and dedicated moderators and none of them act like "net nannys."  We're all adults here, striving to respect one another and the integrity of the forum.

I'm not a moderator, have no internet high tower, and am not being sarcastic, but as one forum member to another... Chill, OK? 

Kismet

Not to mention the fact that all the admins/mods here are volunteers who graciously donate a lot of their time to this board. For those of us who have been here for awhile, they have earned a lot of respect from many of us. You, Grandtheft, being brand new but choosing to put them down, have yet to earn any respect from any of us.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 17 2008, 10:06 PM)
To clarify OF's post, I believe the process for joining the political forum is to first make at least 100 posts with your account, then private message one of the admins (1-0-0-1, RushRevisited, or GhostGirl) asking them to grant you access.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif Welcome to my parlor!!! old.gif

QUOTE (Grandtheftcow @ Mar 17 2008, 06:57 PM)

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman)

It's a documentary that follows a few children before and during their participation in a religious camp that teaches them how to spread Protestant Christianity to others. The film ends on an ominous note suggesting that these people are preparing and actively participating in some sort of cultural war.

All Jack is saying is that this is a forum to discuss movies, not debate religion. If anyone wants to debate religion, or politics, there is another forum, called the Sense O'Clock News, the requirements of belonging have already been posted here. Attempts to turn this thread into a debate on religion will either result in this thread being moved to the politics forum, or locked. Both results mean that discussion is shut down for you, since you re not yet allowed in the politics forum.

Please, just respect the rules for discussion. In time, you'll get access to the politics forum, where comments like the ones you made here, are perfectly acceptable.

Welcome to TRF!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 17 2008, 10:06 PM)

You also have to be a member for 1 month (or 30 days.)

QUOTE (OriginalFan)

If I took it to serious I wouldn't be here. But the point I raised is my honest opinion.

Grandtheftcow, if you can amicably hang in here for a while, there's an excellent politics and religion sub forum (Sense O'Clock News) where such things are openly discussed. I think you'll find a great many people of a mind with you (regarding the fact that, as you mentioned, "Any disagreement with fundamentalist Christians more often than not is seen as an attack upon them and their faith") plus enough folks who don't agree, just to make it interesting! I can't find the link to the process for getting into Sense O'Clock News but I'm sure someone can find it for you if you're interested. I do recall there's a length of membership requirement, tho.

I had checked the requirements when I joined and it's a months participation and at least 100 posts. Unfortunately thats a common thing on message boards these days.

Personally I'd prefer a forum with a diverse membership who hold a wide range of viewpoints just to keep it interesting. If everyone agreed with me I'd likely just play devils advocate for fun.

However, Jack's right - there's a great deal of sensitivity to such topics in other sub-forums, and there has been a lot of pain and angst in the past so we try to be especially careful about religion everywhere else...  I kind of hope this particular thread gets moved over to the S.O.N. forum so we can head off this stuff (like Jack already tried to do sad.gif )

I still contend that the preemptive announcement made by Jack is unnecessary and such efforts only serve to kill threads rather than promote discussion of the subject. Why not wait till an issue actually arises?

By the way, TRF has got some awesome and dedicated moderators and none of them act like "net nannys."  We're all adults here, striving to respect one another and the integrity of the forum.

And sometimes people need a kick in the butt just for the sake of it. wink.gif

No I'm reporting this to the UN human rights council and will clearly document Jack Aubrey's human rights abuses.

QUOTE (Mustard Death)

I rather like hellholes. My home forum is one of those.

QUOTE (rushgoober)
Not to mention the fact that all the admins/mods here are volunteers who graciously donate a lot of their time to this board. For those of us who have been here for awhile, they have earned a lot of respect from many of us. You, Grandtheft, being brand new but choosing to put them down, have yet to earn any respect from any of us.

I just don't buy the old volunteer excuse.

Forum staff members obviously want to take on the "job" of moderating a community otherwise they wouldn't be in the position. There's nothing keeping them chained to moderating a message board so if it becomes a burden to them somehow they can just bow out and someone else will invariably eagerly take their place.

As for the respect angle you're running with. I don't care. It doesn't matter to me what Johnny username of X message board thinks of me. You get what I put in and there's plenty of people who both like and hate me for the persona I project online.

QUOTE (Grandtheftcow @ Mar 18 2008, 08:12 AM)
QUOTE (OriginalFan)

If I took it to serious I wouldn't be here. But the point I raised is my honest opinion.

I had checked the requirements when I joined and it's a months participation and at least 100 posts. Unfortunately thats a common thing on message boards these days.

Personally I'd prefer a forum with a diverse membership who hold a wide range of viewpoints just to keep it interesting. If everyone agreed with me I'd likely just play devils advocate for fun.

I still contend that the preemptive announcement made by Jack is unnecessary and such efforts only serve to kill threads rather than promote discussion of the subject. Why not wait till an issue actually arises?

And sometimes people need a kick in the butt just for the sake of it. wink.gif

No I'm reporting this to the UN human rights council and will clearly document Jack Aubrey's human rights abuses.

QUOTE (Mustard Death)

I rather like hellholes. My home forum is one of those.

QUOTE (rushgoober)

I just don't buy the old volunteer excuse.

Forum staff members obviously want to take on the "job" of moderating a community otherwise they wouldn't be in the position. There's nothing keeping them chained to moderating a message board so if it becomes a burden to them somehow they can just bow out and someone else will invariably eagerly take their place.

As for the respect angle you're running with. I don't care. It doesn't matter to me what Johnny username of X message board thinks of me. You get what I put in and there's plenty of people who both like and hate me for the persona I project online.

Look, here's the bottom line: we try to discourage religious discussions of any kind outside of the political forum. I didn't just make that up on the spot, it's been a board rule for a long time now. No amount of complaining, whining, or bitching is going to change that so you can stop wasting your energy (and my time) now.

I've been very uncomfortable with this 'Jesus Camp' thread from the get-go and contemplated moving it to the political forum when it first showed up, but I figured I'd give everyone a chance and see if they could be civil while discussing it. I sensed in your post an attitude that ran contrary to that so I attempted to head it off. I even phrased it as politely as I could but you decided to get nasty and accuse me of posting "from an internet high tower", etc. when in reality I am just a moderator attempting to enforce rules and regulations set down by the administrators. We really are in our hearts trying to provide the best possible internet message board experience to our members and those who come in bitching about it tend to get on our bad sides. If you have any suggestions as to how this board could be improved, send a private message to one of our adminstrators, don't argue with a mod in his own forum because everyone who tries that always fails. I recall you singing the praises of your "home board" in one of your posts. Perhaps you'd be happier going back to it.

Now a wise man will take that as it is, say "OK", and go about his day. A petulant child will continue the complaining, bitching, and whining. Let's see which one you are.

You need to give Jack the benefit of the doubt here. Perhaps he's seen this happen before, perhaps many times, and so he is doing the responsible thing in setting the tone preemptively.

Please, take some time to get the feel for the ebb and flow of this forum before making judgments about the moderators and/or admins.

OriginalFan, LoneStar Boogie, and Rushgoober:

Bless you all and thank you. I appreciate everything that you wonderful people said.

QUOTE (Grandtheftcow @ Mar 18 2008, 06:12 AM)

unsure.gif

Grandtheftcow, you have so entirely missed the point of TRF that it would be in your best interest to slink away back to your own "hellhole," as you call it. We don't play games or try to project a persona to anyone. Respect is not an "angle" we're "running with," it's a value we try to live by.

You're starting to sound like my teenage son who went through a very similar obnoxious self-centered stage that immediately preceeded his getting kicked out of the house... laugh.gif

And as for the original thread, I haven't seen this movie nor heard about it but, as another post mentioned, it does sound disturbing on some levels. I'll keep my eye open for it - always room for dialog!

Kismet

QUOTE (Grandtheftcow @ Mar 17 2008, 07:15 PM)

This guy was totally preparing to slam Christians in his forecoming posts. I could sense it. Or maybe, it's just his avatar....it just says EVIL.

laugh.gif