The Office Returns!

Choose/the/light

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 5 2008, 06:23 AM)
Horrible show! Never seen the American version but the British one blows.

I've seen bits and pieces of the British one, and I wasn't impressed. But then again, I am not familiar with what is funny over there in England. From what I did see, I can say that the American version tried to emulate the feel of the British version for at least the first season, but then it settled down to try to be more of a regular sitcom than a documentary. They still do the interview style shots with just one person talking, but the rest of the show feels like a regular show.

For the record, I think it is one of the best shows on American television right now, along with Boston Legal.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 5 2008, 07:38 AM)
QUOTE (nimagraven @ Mar 5 2008, 12:05 PM)
I feel like the only person in the world that finds ricky gervais horribly unfunny.

But whatever floats your boat LOL smile.gif

Nah.. I'm with you. He sucks.

I actually like him. My main experience with him was from the movie Night at the Museum, where he played a small role as the museum director. I thought he played it very well, and he was the most memorable person from the movie, for me anway. I wished he'd had a larger role.

I'm from the UK and i love the UK version it's a shame there's so many negative people here slagging off the UK version but at the end of the day the US version came from the UK so steady on with the UK bashing.

But on the other hand Ricky isnt that funny out of the Office doing his solo stuff and the other show Extras.

I've watched every episode of The Office, and this year is just doing nothing for me. The last 2 episodes were really bad, in my opinion. Anyone else watching? What's your take on this season? I know it got shortened because of the strike, but it's missing some "zip" or something.

I loved it until this season. So far it's been unwatchable, I would go so far as to say uncomfortable during the "dinner party" episode...I had to change the channel I was so irritated.

Not good. I suppose the shark has been jumped.

Edited by theredtamasrule

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 1 2008, 07:54 PM)
I loved it until this season. So far it's been unwatchable, I would go so far as to say uncomfortable during the "dinner party" episode...I had to change the channel I was so irritated.

Not good. I suppose the shark has been jumped.

I agree with you about the Dinner Party episode! I just sat there going "Is this over yet?"

I guess last night was ok...it did have some good parts and the car stuff was funny enough for me to watch the whole show this week. biggrin.gif

I'm sure I'll continue to watch the rest of the year, but something has to happen soon!!!

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ May 1 2008, 05:29 PM)
I've watched every episode of The Office, and this year is just doing nothing for me. The last 2 episodes were really bad, in my opinion. Anyone else watching? What's your take on this season? I know it got shortened because of the strike, but it's missing some "zip" or something.

Yeah...I agree to a certain extent. The only funny episode is when they go "clubbing" in NY.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 5 2008, 07:23 AM)
Horrible show! Never seen the American version but the British one blows.

True...nothing humorous from the British since Benny Hill.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ May 5 2008, 09:20 PM)
The Office (US) is the best comedy on TV right now. I tried to watch the British version, but couldn't even make it through 1 show.

Dwight Shrute - "My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious."

lol. ahahahahahaha.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/episodes/

Watch an episode...or four at NBC.com

You are correct. The Office is still the funniest thing on telly. What are we up to, Season 4 or 5 now? Anyhowst, these new episodes are just as good and just as funny as the second season.

Why didn't I say 'as good and funny as the first season'? Well, I have this theory that all shows take, at least to the second season to really perfect the writing, the dynamic and chemistry between actors. Season Two is usually the starting point for a real nice and long run, which, if it happens to be a truly solid premise for a series, will extend to Season 7 or 8...or even further. Hopefully we have a couple more great years left after this current season.

But, to say that you don't care for the original, British version of the series is just completely unacceptable to me. It was purely the vision of Ricky Gervais and his cohort, Steve Merchant, that had me rolling on the floor, pissing myself with laughter, and leaving me totally aching for more of this brand of humour after two, very brief seasons.

In all actuality, there are only 12 episodes of the original show. That's in total, between two short seasons....with a single hour and a half finale, equalling 13 shows. And, it's not until episode 6 that things really get rolling and the show's formula perfected. Contrast that against the American version which has 22 episodes in Season Two alone.

But, from Episode 6 to 13 of the British series, you are in for one of the funniest sitcoms ever filmed. I love Steve Carrell, but it's Ricky Gervais that invented this character, and invented it based on his own acting ability and personal quirks. His telling is actually based on an old Boss who was oblivious to his own actions.

Sure, there's a totally different dynamic achieved between the cast in the American version. But, the original dynamic highlighted the Boss' inequities and his total inability to understand how geeky and unlikable he really was. There are similarities to Carrell's portrayal, but Gervais' character tried even harder for the employees to like him.

I stumbled upon, and watched Season Two of the British program shortly before the American one began its run. I picked up one of the two discs at the local library after seeing commercials for the upcoming American version. And, it was those six, short BBC episodes that totally hooked me in and sold me on this program.

After the finale, I went back and viewed the first six episodes, but already knew that it was primarily Season Two that had the real meat on it. By the end of both discs, I had become a huge fan of 'The Office' and especially of Ricky Gervais, and the actors who play Tim and Gareth. I still think that the dynamic between these two is slightly better than Jim and Dwight in the American one.

When I finally was exposed to the American version, I absolutely hated it at first. Really disliked. Which shows how strong my love was for the original vision of Ricky Gervais. But, after a few weeks, I began to undertand and appreciate the different dynamic created among the new cast and then opened to it completely. It's really a fantastic show that now has seen a much longer run than the original program. But, it is a shame that the BBC version had such a limited run. And, I'd like to see them make a go at a few more Seasons, regardless of how much time has passed.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Apr 14 2009, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ May 5 2008, 09:20 PM)
The Office (US) is the best comedy on TV right now. I tried to watch the British version, but couldn't even make it through 1 show.

Dwight Shrute - "My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious."

lol. ahahahahahaha.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/episodes/

Watch an episode...or four at NBC.com

You are correct. The Office is still the funniest thing on telly. What are we up to, Season 4 or 5 now? Anyhowst, these new episodes are just as good and just as funny as the second season.

Why didn't I say 'as good and funny as the first season'? Well, I have this theory that all shows take, at least to the second season to really perfect the writing, the dynamic and chemistry between actors. Season Two is usually the starting point for a real nice and long run, which, if it happens to be a truly solid premise for a series, will extend to Season 7 or 8...or even further. Hopefully we have a couple more great years left after this current season.

But, to say that you don't care for the original, British version of the series is just completely unacceptable to me. It was purely the vision of Ricky Gervais and his cohort, Steve Merchant, that had me rolling on the floor, pissing myself with laughter, and leaving me totally aching for more of this brand of humour after two, very brief seasons.

In all actuality, there are only 12 episodes of the original show. That's in total, between two short seasons....with a single hour and a half finale, equalling 13 shows. And, it's not until episode 6 that things really get rolling and the show's formula perfected. Contrast that against the American version which has 22 episodes in Season Two alone.

But, from Episode 6 to 13 of the British series, you are in for one of the funniest sitcoms ever filmed. I love Steve Carrell, but it's Ricky Gervais that invented this character, and invented it based on his own acting ability and personal quirks. His telling is actually based on an old Boss who was oblivious to his own actions.

Sure, there's a totally different dynamic achieved between the cast in the American version. But, the original dynamic highlighted the Boss' inequities and his total inability to understand how geeky and unlikable he really was. There are similarities to Carrell's portrayal, but Gervais' character tried even harder for the employees to like him.

I stumbled upon, and watched Season Two of the British program shortly before the American one began its run. I picked up one of the two discs at the local library after seeing commercials for the upcoming American version. And, it was those six, short BBC episodes that totally hooked me in and sold me on this program.

After the finale, I went back and viewed the first six episodes, but already knew that it was primarily Season Two that had the real meat on it. By the end of both discs, I had become a huge fan of 'The Office' and especially of Ricky Gervais, and the actors who play Tim and Gareth. I still think that the dynamic between these two is slightly better than Jim and Dwight in the American one.

When I finally was exposed to the American version, I absolutely hated it at first. Really disliked. Which shows how strong my love was for the original vision of Ricky Gervais. But, after a few weeks, I began to undertand and appreciate the different dynamic created among the new cast and then opened to it completely. It's really a fantastic show that now has seen a much longer run than the original program. But, it is a shame that the BBC version had such a limited run. And, I'd like to see them make a go at a few more Seasons, regardless of how much time has passed.

I really haven't given the British version a chance. I only watched part of an episode and just really had a hard time getting into it. I think i switched the channel and ended up watching the end of a Spongebob episode that I had seen before. LOL - So, this is the kind of viewer I am.

But, I will try again with the British Office. Sometimes it does take a few times to get it. The American Office appealed to me because I know this office. It is every office I worked for to some degree. And, I feel like I work at the TV Office the way they film it. It is as if you are there and really experience what they do. I just wish it was an hour long show. wink.gif