Recommend easy Rush tune for guitar

ReflectedLight

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 25 2008, 08:16 PM)
Hi, this is already a heavily covered subject down in M.O.T.S. and I'm sure one of these threads will help. Good luck!

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=33138
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=33139
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=31159&st=0

thanks dude

Reading all those other threads just about EVERY Rush song was mentioned at some point. I know Alex Lifeson has never been known to be a technically difficult guitarist to learn, but are all Rush songs easy?

I would be curious as to what the difficult guitar songs to play would be?

I dont know much about it, but my guess would be la Villa strangiato....

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Feb 26 2008, 12:40 AM)
are all Rush songs easy?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

AS IF!!!!! Rush is some of the hardest and most complicated music around.

Really, start off with Far Cry. Power chords, and not much of a solo. What could be easier?

Sure, there are songs that have really easy parts, like working man, but then you've got the whole instrumental part... thats hard.

I'm assuming you want to be able to play whole songs, so start with Far Cry.

And if you're more of a classic rush fan, Tom Sawyer is relatively easy, as is Cygnus X-1 part 1.

I have to say, when I've been learning (And I'm only okayish) I've learned more from playing Rush pretty badly than I have done from playing any new, simple stuff good tongue.gif.

The songs have a great learning curve to 'em, because they're very technically difficult, but they're not for the faint of heart and they're not for someone who doesn't have determination either lol.

To echo everyone else, go with Far Cry. It's easy as... pants.

Off the top of my head (minus the solos obviously):

Working Man

Fly By Night

In the End

The Necromancer

A Passage to Bangkok

Tears

Natural Science (first part)

Limelight

Nobody's Hero

Resist (acoustic version)

The Larger Bowl

QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Feb 26 2008, 12:54 AM)
are all Rush songs easy?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

AS IF!!!!! Rush is some of the hardest and most complicated music around.

Really, start off with Far Cry. Power chords, and not much of a solo. What could be easier?

Sure, there are songs that have really easy parts, like working man, but then you've got the whole instrumental part... thats hard.

I'm assuming you want to be able to play whole songs, so start with Far Cry.

And if you're more of a classic rush fan, Tom Sawyer is relatively easy, as is Cygnus X-1 part 1.

Far Cry? rofl3.gif

That is the most wildly preposterous notion I've heard yet. Far Cry would be easy if you don't pay attention to the timing, but as a student you should be practicing by playing, tapping your foot, AND counting all at once in order to get a good understanding of how the notes fit within the framework of time. I've seen too many young players try to pull off harder songs than what they should be learning and never getting good since they really haven't grasped the timing element of playing yet. I know players who have been at it for over twenty years with this mentality, and gues what? They still suck! Timing is a critical element of playing and one should stick with easy stuff until they have mastered it, THEN move on to more complex arrangements. You will enjoy playing guitar much more when you insist on playing songs 100% correctly.

Well lots of Rush's rhythm guitar parts seem fairly easy, really the first 10 minutes or so of hemispheres is pretty easy actually. Noone's taking solos into account either, those are almost all pretty tough.

Not to mention that 90% of the people who learn Rush songs learn them wrong, I bought one of those Ivideo songs and found out that I had learned TSOR completely and totally wrong. So think of that too wacko.gif

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Feb 27 2008, 10:40 AM)
Well lots of Rush's rhythm guitar parts seem fairly easy, really the first 10 minutes or so of hemispheres is pretty easy actually. Noone's taking solos into account either, those are almost all pretty tough.
Not to mention that 90% of the people who learn Rush songs learn them wrong, I bought one of those Ivideo songs and found out that I had learned TSOR completely and totally wrong. So think of that too wacko.gif

Very true. I wasn't even thinking about the leads. You're right about learning stuff wrong, too. We've all done it. Sometimes the right parts seems wrong unless you have all the other instruments in the mix.

I know Alex Lifeson has never been known to be a technically difficult guitarist to learn, but are all Rush songs easy?

Well, I've never heard this before. no.gif

Archived