M. Night Shyamalan

Jack Aubrey

M. Night Shyamalan...  

39 members have voted

1. 1. M. Night Shyamalan...

• Is a 21st century Hitchcock and a brilliant director.
    • Is a 21st century hack who couldn't direct his way out of a wet paper bag.
    • Directed one good movie
    • Directed two good movies
    • Directed three good movies
    • Directed four good movies
    • Directed five good movies
    • Directed five good movies and 'The Happening' is gonna be home run number six, dammit!

Bumped for the newer members.

I picked five good movies, including The Happening. The Sixth Sense, Signs, The Village, The Happening, and Unbreakable where all great movies. I don't know about Lady In The Water. I don't get why their is a big majority of people who detest his movies, anyone care to elaborate why?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 16 2008, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 16 2008, 11:33 AM)
The next Hitchcock? Excuse me while I go roll around on the floor.

Haha.......you posted that before me.........

But what about the second part of my statement? It's not like I'm comparing Shyamalan favourably to Kubrick, I'm just comparing him to Hitchcock.

Hitchcock is a brilliant director though. One of the greatest.

Psycho

North by Northwest

The Lady Vanishes

Dial M for Murder

Strangers on a Train

Vertigo

Rear Window

Notorious

All amazing films, plus way more I'm forgetting.

The Sixth Sense is where it ends for me. It was a good movie, but the "twists" he wants to use as a kind of "style" of moviemaking has been done before. He's not pioneering a new kind of filmmaking.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jun 16 2008, 02:19 PM)
I picked five good movies, including The Happening. The Sixth Sense, Signs, The Village, The Happening, and Unbreakable where all great movies. I don't know about Lady In The Water. I don't get why their is a big majority of people who detest his movies, anyone care to elaborate why?

Perhaps it's because he started out so promisingly but has become a one-trick pony with each of his movies being just a little bit worse that the first one.

I did hear that he wanted 'Unbreakable' to simply be the story of how a man deals with learning he is a superhero in a world where there are none, but the studio execs insisted that he give it a twist ending so he had to re-write it. That may be just a rumor, though.

His movies look beautiful and he gets good performances out of his actors, and in that sense he's a good director. He just can't write an interesting story to save his life. Unbreakable being the exception.

My buddy sent me a very heated message after he saw The Happening. He said it was one of the most pointless movies he's ever seen and was pretty mad he wasted money on it. I wasn't rushing out to see it anyway.

I was watching Stuart Little with my daughter the other day and saw that he wrote the screenplay. Sad when a kid's movie about a talking mouse is ultimately more satisfying than most of his other work.

Edited by Storm Shadow

I agree he is a good director. What he puts on the screen is good.

But damn, is he an awful writer. He should have other people write the scripts.

Is there anything he's directed that he hasn't written?

To compare him to Hitchcock is a farce, however, in a time where horror/thriller flicks are suffering not only at the box office but in quality as well, he certainly is refreshing.

He is hit and miss for me.

Directed 3 good movies: Signs, The 6th Sense, and The Village in that order.

I never saw the Lady of the Water so I can't comment on that yet.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 16 2008, 03:55 PM)
His movies look beautiful and he gets good performances out of his actors, and in that sense he's a good director. He just can't write an interesting story to save his life. Unbreakable being the exception.

My buddy sent me a very heated message after he saw The Happening. He said it was one of the most pointless movies he's ever seen and was pretty mad he wasted money on it. I wasn't rushing out to see it anyway.

I was watching Stuart Little with my daughter the other day and saw that he wrote the screenplay. Sad when a kid's movie about a talking mouse is ultimately more satisfying than most of his other work.

Hahaha, Stuart Little 1 & 2 are both good I agree. Hugh Laurie & Michael J. Fox is a good combo. I know it's for kids, but if they've got to see something I'd much rather have them watch one of these than Barney goes to Hollywood.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 16 2008, 02:46 PM)
Hitchcock is a brilliant director though. One of the greatest.

Psycho
North by Northwest
The Lady Vanishes
Dial M for Murder
Strangers on a Train
Vertigo
Rear Window
Notorious

All amazing films, plus way more I'm forgetting.

I'll agree that all of those choices are good if not great and I'd also add:

Shadow Of A Doubt

To Catch A Thief

The Trouble With Harry

Sabotage

Lifeboat

Young And Innocent

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

The 39 Steps

Blackmail

Rope

Foreign Correspondent

The Wrong Man

Frenzy

Saboteur

I Confess

But I can balance his films out with average or worse titles (just as we can with Shyamalan):

Jamaica Inn

Number 17

Mr. & Mrs. Smith

The Manxman

Stage Fright

Rebecca

Topaz

The Farmer's Wife

The Ring

Marnie

Spellbound

Family Plot

Torn Curtain

Suspicion

Champagne

The Birds

Bon Voyage

Aventure Malgache (these last 2 are short propoganda films)

Hard to compare Shyamalan's 6 films to Hitch's, what 40 films (that I've seen). I'd say he's been about as consistent in his work so far as Hitch was.