Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom

alphseeker

The Bigsby kills it for me. I despise those things.

The middle pickup on a Les Paul is also just about useless. I had a 3 pickup SG Custom and I kept snagging my pick on the middle pickup.

I'll take the Lifeson 355 and a Les Paul Axcess thanks.

Edited by _pete_

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Feb 4 2008, 11:48 PM)
The middle pickup on a Les Paul is also just about useless. I had a 3 pickup SG Custom and I kept snagging my pick on the middle pickup.

No arguing with you Pete - I guess it was the beauty of the thing that swayed me -Never thought about picking problems with that extra pickup - What is it about the Bigsby that you don't like?

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 5 2008, 01:12 AM)

No arguing with you Pete - I guess it was the beauty of the thing that swayed me -Never thought about picking problems with that extra pickup - What is it about the Bigsby that you don't like?

I think Bigsby's are ugly, are a detriment to staying in tune, and really offer very little range for a vibrato.

I've had a couple over the years and never found them useful at all.

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Feb 4 2008, 10:48 PM)

Me too. ewwwwwww

I would take Lifeson's over that thing any day!

ewww gold hardware???

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 5 2008, 01:12 AM)

I never had a guitar with a Bigsby tailpiece, so I cannot comment on that. On the middle pick issue, it is entirely the personal preference of the guiatrist as to how beneficial they are. Sure, Pete has an issue because they interferred with his picking, but maybe you wouldn't, Alphseeker. You need to try it for yourself.

Case in point. A good friend (and very good guitar player) and I were at a Guitar Center a few months ago. I was looking for a new guitar. One of the ones I was interested in was the Music Man John Petrucci 6 string. I found it, along with an Eric Johnson Stratocaster, and a Joe Satriani Ibanez. I tried the Ibanez first, and my friend tried the Music Man. He hated the fact that the pickup selector was placed where it was because he was hitting it with his fingers when he played the B and E strings. He said it was awful, and he would never buy that guitar. So I took it and played it for about 30 minutes, and never had a single problem with it. I ended up buying it a couple of months later, and it is my #1 guitar now.

As for the tremolo, it all really depends on what you plan to to use it for. If you want to be EVH with one of those, its probably not going to work. If you plan to use it sparingly for mild effect, it probably will work.

Now, about the Jimmy Page guitar; I would probably rather get the Lifeson ES-335. I already own a black Les Paul Custon with (gasp) gold hardware. But I think I would really like to get an Eric Johnson Stratocaster instead. Gibson's stuff is obscenely over-priced.

Edited by LoneStar Boogie

When did Page ever play a guitar like that? There was a Jimmy Page Standard out 10 or so years ago and it was cool and had special wiring but this is like the Peter Frampton model with a Bigsby.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Feb 5 2008, 08:29 PM)
When did Page ever play a guitar like that? There was a Jimmy Page Standard out 10 or so years ago and it was cool and had special wiring but this is like the Peter Frampton model with a Bigsby.

He played it around 1970, before it went missing from a flight...

To me the ultimate Jimmy Page Gibson would be a cherry sunburst Les Paul like he played on The Song Remains the Same and the Led Zep DVD.

Of course Gibson has already sold that guitar in various configurations a million times.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Feb 5 2008, 03:29 PM)

He must have played it on the first couple of albums (maybe just the first?)

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Feb 5 2008, 10:30 PM)

Nope. He played a Tele then.

That's what I thought. A Tele and a Danelectro. Then he played the cherry burst Standards and the EDS 1275.

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Feb 5 2008, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Feb 5 2008, 10:30 PM)

Nope. He played a Tele then.

Well then what's the big friggin' deal about this guitar? Did he play it with the Yardbirds?