Going to Blue Ray?

The Owl

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 26 2008, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 25 2008, 11:41 AM)
Toshiba recently dropped the price of their HD-DVD player to $139.00. That pretty much smacks of desperation. Though I have to admit that it's  very tempting because there's a whole heckuva lot of good titles available on HD-DVD. I think I'll still wait and go Blu-Ray.

Jack, I"ve got Blu-Ray. It's worth every single penny.

Plus like I said HD-DVD is finished. Blu-Ray has won the format war. Warner Brothers, and New Line Cinema just went Blu-Ray exclusive. And Warner Brothers controls 30% of the home video Market. All that HD-DVD has left is Paramount, and Universal studios, and I don't think they will wait long to jump to the other side either.

This huge price drop that HD-DVD is doing is akin to "doubling down". But they have a losing hand. HD-DVD is defeated.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Jan 19 2008, 02:06 AM)
Nope. I'm sticking with the normal dvd player now. Don't need to keep converting every 5 seconds the movie industry wants to force people to re-buy them everytime. I think it's pathetic.

I agree. Blu-Ray will drop soon as people are already downloading movies to their computers. DVD sales fell last year for the first time according to Reuters News. My father told me last night that things like TVs and so on will be rendered obsolete as you can watch TV and movies on the internet by the click of a mouse.

Then again, I seldomly watch DVDs and/or VHS these days as I am mainly online and/or listening to my discman or stereo system. I also don't own a PS nor a Nintendo nor any game system. I just play Frogger, Pac man and Q-Bert all on the computer as I am not into War of Worldcraft, games with guts and blood. If I did have a game system, all it would be is Old School games plus a few baseball games. Not into Madden, not into Grand Theft Auto. Wrestling games get boring real quick.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jan 29 2008, 04:35 PM)
Nope. I'm sticking with the normal dvd player now. Don't need to keep converting every 5 seconds the movie industry wants to force people to re-buy them everytime. I think it's pathetic.

I agree. Blu-Ray will drop soon as people are already downloading movies to their computers. DVD sales fell last year for the first time according to Reuters News. My father told me last night that things like TVs and so on will be rendered obsolete as you can watch TV and movies on the internet by the click of a mouse.

Then again, I seldomly watch DVDs and/or VHS these days as I am mainly online and/or listening to my discman or stereo system. I also don't own a PS nor a Nintendo nor any game system. I just play Frogger, Pac man and Q-Bert all on the computer as I am not into War of Worldcraft, games with guts and blood. If I did have a game system, all it would be is Old School games plus a few baseball games. Not into Madden, not into Grand Theft Auto. Wrestling games get boring real quick.

Here ya go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludite

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 29 2008, 06:10 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jan 29 2008, 04:35 PM)

Here ya go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludite

That's pretty good, but can a man with a computer and internet access truly be considered a Luddite?

Netflix has gone exclusively to Blu Ray.

Thanks to Jo Blo:

Netflix Score another one for Blu-ray, folks! Online renting giant Netflix has decided, after realizing four of the six major studios have publicly gotten on the Blu-ray bandwagon, that it may be prudent to jump on board as well and say a nice "[screw] you" to HD-DVD. They plan to stock only Blu-ray for their HD loving customers and will phase out HD-DVD by the end of the year. They may also want to actually stock up on Blu-ray discs as some folks have been waiting several months to get the Blu-ray discs on their queue.

Yep, it's a wrap for HD-DVD, especially now that the PS3 is slowly building a solid game library and has come down in price. I don't plan on upgrading my DVD collection any time soon though, except for a few sci-fi and action movies that will really look amazing on Blu-Ray.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Feb 15 2008, 03:26 PM)
More news to cement Blu-Ray as the standard HD format:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/technology...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Ooh, that's a whole bunch of nails in the coffin. It looks like HD-DVD is in the hospital bed being fed intravenously with an oxygen tube up its nose. The question is will they go quietly or will they try the whole "I'm not dead, I don't want to go on the cart!" thing?

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Feb 15 2008, 02:26 PM)

Good info EveryNerveAware!

I want to remind everyone though... don't EVER buy movies or music or video games at Walmart though... they are the evil Censorshit Monster.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 15 2008, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Feb 15 2008, 02:26 PM)

Good info EveryNerveAware!

I want to remind everyone though... don't EVER buy movies or music or video games at Walmart though... they are the evil Censorshit Monster.

I offer sincere apologies, sir, but as a card-carrying "cheap bastard" I love Wal-Mart and shop there quite often.

Besides when you get real techinical about it, the only entity that can censor anything is the government. Wal-Mart has a right to say what can and can't be sold in their stores. Also, we do the same thing on this forum what with rules on what you can and can't post and we're not so bad, are we?

Oh, and please don't think I am telling you to go shop at Wal-Mart I understand you have the right to not do so, I just wanted to present the other side of things as it were.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 15 2008, 02:34 PM)

Ooh, that's a whole bunch of nails in the coffin. It looks like HD-DVD is in the hospital bed being fed intravenously with an oxygen tube up its nose. The question is will they go quietly or will they try the whole "I'm not dead, I don't want to go on the cart!" thing?

I think with Netflix going Blu-Ray only and many other major studios endorsing Blu-Ray, HD-DVD is going to be gone quickly. They need to cut their losses and get out of the market. Just couldn't compete with the superior format of Blu-Ray.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 15 2008, 02:41 PM)
I offer sincere apologies, sir, but as a card-carrying "cheap bastard" I love Wal-Mart and shop there quite often.

Walmart is renowned for strong arming companies to adhere to 'their' definition of what is deemed appropriate often completely circumventing national and international ratings systems of the actual countries they reside in! If people stopped buying media such as movies, games, music there this would send them a real message.

Most consumer don't even know this and often purchase something thinking that is the artists intended product whereas in reality Walmart hacked off pieces they didn't like. Sure many of us are familiar with them blocking content like Grand Theft Auto and ratings censorship fiascos and that level... but the fact you could purchase a CD or movie there and it would simply be MISSING songs or scenes without it even saying *edited by WalMart* on the box? Man that totally crosses the line.

What good are associations like the ESRB and MPAA etcetera... if an artist goes through all the painstaking work to make something adhere to a standard and then some corporation can just say "Too bad not good enough for us... change it how we want or go away". I think it should be criminal.

Anyway.. maybe over time or not you will change your opinion as to how important of an issue it is but... I know you're a BIG film buff Jack and maybe just maybe one day you will watch a movie at a friends house and see a WHOLE NEW SCENE that you never knew was missing from your version at home and maybe that will change your perspective.

trink39.gif

Sorry for the tangent folks. BluRay is awesome!

I hate Walmart too, but when you live in area with nothing else what are you gonna do? God, what a shitty store though. I bought my daughter a Power Wheels from there the other day and I couldn't get anyone to help me get it, so I poked around the garden department and found a dolly cart and pushed the f***ing thing out the store myself. The customer service is great. wacko.gif

I only go there for groceries usually. And there's a Subway in there and I'm a fatass sooooooo.....

Edited by Storm Shadow

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Feb 15 2008, 02:42 PM)

I think with Netflix going Blu-Ray only and many other major studios endorsing Blu-Ray, HD-DVD is going to be gone quickly. They need to cut their losses and get out of the market. Just couldn't compete with the superior format of Blu-Ray.

The war is over. BluRay has won. Toshiba has stopped production of HD DVD units. Read it here.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 18 2008, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Feb 15 2008, 02:42 PM)

The war is over. BluRay has won. Toshiba has stopped production of HD DVD units. Read it here.

Nail in coffin

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 19 2008, 09:58 AM)
It's all over but the cryin'

Toshiba throws in the towl. Blu-Ray Wins

I'd expect Paramount and Universal (plus their subsideries), the only 2 studios that backed hd-dvd exclusivly, to announce their "support" for blu-ray within a week or so.

Finally! Battlestar Galactica BluRay coming down the pipe me hopes!

common001.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 19 2008, 11:11 AM)
Hmm, maybe it's time to upgrade.

One thing though, how much is the difference between an upscaled DVD and a Blu-Ray disc?

720 vs. 1080

Not much, at this point it depends on your TV. I'd still buy the Blu-Ray player, because it will up-scale your regular DVD, but unless you have a TV that has a 1080 resolution, buying blu-ray DVDs is a waste.

Edited by The Owl

Well I don't know the technolilogicalistic gigglewatt details of the formats guys... but there is no way upscaled DVD (even those filmed in high definition) come close to actual HD media. Even if you don't have 1080p which I don't there is a marked difference.

Then again that's just my eyeballs talking.

confused13.gif