Getting in Tune

Weakly Criminal

I think 440 Hz has been the international standard since the 1920s, but there are several works using a different pitch for A, namely some classical stuff I can't recall at the moment. There's also the topic of equal temperament vs. just intonation. I guess for the vast majority of people, it doesn't make a huge difference though.

QUOTE (Rand @ Jan 2 2008, 01:51 PM)
I agree that it doesn't make a huge difference.

I have to say that the info presented on
http://www.akasha.de/~aton/Unidance.html

seems like pure psuedo-scientific bullshit.

Wow, ohmy.gif that certainly was an interesting read!

Well, I don't know if 8 hz is the heart beat of all time and space, the universe, life, DNA, etc., and whether or not 432 hz (8 X 54) should be the pitch center for all music, so that we are one with the universe and God...

but what I do know is...

My ears / mind has been programmed / conditioned for middle A to be centered at 440 hz (due to 30+ years of musical training). A440 has been the "standard" pitch center for the modern era, and when I tune a guitar by ear, it comes out centered at A440... I guess it is all what you are used to... actually, in the last 20 years, the pitch center has been gradually going up (442 is common in Europe, and in marching bands)...

Maybe, if I'm ever playing inside a pyramid, I will tune my instrument down to A432...

QUOTE (rushbass @ Jan 2 2008, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (Rand @ Jan 2 2008, 01:51 PM)
I agree that it doesn't make a huge difference.

I have to say that the info presented on
http://www.akasha.de/~aton/Unidance.html

seems like pure psuedo-scientific bullshit.

Wow, ohmy.gif that certainly was an interesting read!

Well, I don't know if 8 hz is the heart beat of all time and space, the universe, life, DNA, etc., and whether or not 432 hz (8 X 54) should be the pitch center for all music, so that we are one with the universe and God...

but what I do know is...

My ears / mind has been programmed / conditioned for middle A to be centered at 440 hz (due to 30+ years of musical training). A440 has been the "standard" pitch center for the modern era, and when I tune a guitar by ear, it comes out centered at A440... I guess it is all what you are used to... actually, in the last 20 years, the pitch center has been gradually going up (442 is common in Europe, and in marching bands)...

Maybe, if I'm ever playing inside a pyramid, I will tune my instrument down to A432...

laugh.gif I always like to throw in the farthest out point of view just for fun. It is apparent that music has a profound effect on people and I always like to explore this kind of stuff and get current musician's take on it. Oh, and make sure you record that pyramid gig rb. smile.gif

(442 is common in Europe, and in marching bands)...

It's us damn piccolos in the marching bands making everyone else have to play sharp... laugh.gif

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jan 2 2008, 07:36 PM)
(442 is common in Europe, and in marching bands)...

It's us damn piccolos in the marching bands making everyone else have to play sharp... laugh.gif

And those damn piccolos is the reason I am half deaf! tongue.gif wink.gif

Twelve years of marching band... I played (still do) the tuba... seems that the band directors always liked to put the tubas and the piccolos close together, or even intermixed (pic - tuba - pic - tuba, etc), whether it was on the football field, or in a parade!

But I don't hate the "player" - heck, I've even dated a few piccolo players in my time! wink.gif

Edited by rushbass

QUOTE (rushbass @ Jan 2 2008, 10:36 PM)
And those damn piccolos is the reason I am half deaf!  tongue.gif  wink.gif

Twelve years of marching band... I played (still do) the tuba... seems that the band directors always liked to put the tubas and the piccolos close together, or even intermixed (pic - tuba - pic - tuba, etc), whether it was on the football field, or in a parade!

laugh.gif I'm nearly deaf now too, in my right ear, from that damn thing. Wasn't enough to get disability, tho angry.gif

Always wondered why piccolos were stuck in the back with the sousaphones - maybe to help the intonation of the entire band since the sousaphones tended to be flat and the piccolos tended to be sharp - maybe the directors were hoping it'd even out! biggrin.gif

After highschool & college I spent 10 years in military bands - that's a lot of parades too but at least no more football games cool.gif

L

Edited by OriginalFan

I know in pipe band we've tuned up to and over 480. But of course, if the pipe band's playing together with a concert band or military band we might tune it down a bit... so that our A is their A, and not like their B flat.

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jan 3 2008, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (rushbass @ Jan 2 2008, 10:36 PM)
And those damn piccolos is the reason I am half deaf!  tongue.gif  wink.gif

laugh.gif I'm nearly deaf now too, in my right ear, from that damn thing. Wasn't enough to get disability, tho angry.gif

Always wondered why piccolos were stuck in the back with the sousaphones - maybe to help the intonation of the entire band since the sousaphones tended to be flat and the piccolos tended to be sharp - maybe the directors were hoping it'd even out! biggrin.gif

After highschool & college I spent 10 years in military bands - that's a lot of parades too but at least no more football games cool.gif

L

You know us woodwinds were almost completely superfluous in a marching band right? It's all about the brass out there. sad.gif At least we had our place in symphonic band. smile.gif

I've experienced this lately....I think.

Playing along with CDs where I am tuned perfectly via a Boss TU-2. I sound on perfect pitch when I play along with The Cars but put in High Voltage (AC/DC) and I'm just a little off. I try to tune down a half step but then I'm flat but at normal pitch, I'm sharp????