The Vinyl thread

steelcaressed

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 18 2008, 11:26 PM)
laugh.gif! I wouldn't have guessed you were a Minor Threat fan.

Them and the Suicidal Tendencies were the stuff at a point in my life.

"I'm standing in a bar when some punk bumps into me...

Should I beat his ass or should I let him be....

Should I beat his ass or should I let him be....

Strike first, make it hurt, ask questions later...."

Loved it then. Still do now. cool.gif

Dire Straights - Twisting by the Pool

Title cut - This one has an opening worthy of the Beach Boys on their best night ever. Rocking piano added to the mix and a vigorous performance on the drums by Terry Williams really boost this one. You can actually do the twist to it. The only weak link in the song is the harmonies, which are generic and lacklustre, almost mono-tonal. Fortunately, they're pretty far back in the mix.

Badges, Posters, Stickers, and T-Shirts - A tongue-in-cheek performance reminiscent of Les Boys from Making Movies. A very up-tempo jazzy number, it also mingles old fashioned boogie-woogie and rockabilly in quite nicely. The piano provides a superb low end. The bass guitar is not really noticable until the solo; then the plodding up and down on the neck is just simply sweet, flowing boogie. Knopfler is on for the solo, which is obviously played w/ a hollow body. The resonance is superb. There's a lot of energy here. It's more like a very tight jam session than a studio recording. There's a small section of scat that's not really very skilled or necessary, but it doesn't detract from the overall flavor of the tune. It's like curry; a spice you don't really want but acceptable in context.

Two Young Lovers - This one features some sax right up front, continuing the jazz theme. It's really a simple blues, up-tempo number, but it's charm is undeniable, and the overlays are enough to mask it's simplicity. The solo is even sax, instead of Knopfler. Very unusual. This one will have you and your girl bouncing on the dance floor for sure. "Here's to the two young lovers. Let's wish them every happiness!"

If I had You - The slowest song on the album, it's an obvious lament, laden w/ a few predictable cliches. However, again, Knopfler's warm down-home vocals give this one a charm that most other performers could never pull off. Another for the dance floor, this one will have you hugging your sweet thang and swinging in time. Towards the end, an organ kicks in w/ some fills that are just perfect. It ends w/ Knopfler pleading "Baby, don't let me go," which is so appropriate, for the album is just ending too soon, and you wish the exit solo would go on much longer, as well as the album itself.

This was an EP released in 1982, a precursor to Brothers in Arms. This one is grittier, yet precise in it's direction. If you like Dire Straights, you will likely love this one. It's been one of my hidden favs for years, and rarely fails to surprise my fellow music fans that I introduce it to. The only drawback is the jazz flavor, which puts some people off. trink39.gif

Edited by steelcaressed

Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin

It is. Sorry Oz. So far, I only got through two songs before I turned it off.

Maybe I'll try again later, but so far, this album should have dust on it.

Additionally, I broke out Sabbath's Born Again, just to show my son. What a letdown. You would think Ian Gillan and Black Sabbath would pair up nicely. This album is second only to The Song Remains the Same as most dissappointing album ever.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

This one is a picture disc. Very cool, and one of the few in my collection.

Prelude - Could be played while Snoopy begins the story..."It was a dark and Stormy night..." It's a piano intro, gradually being accompanied by an organ. They slowly meld and come to the end w/ a slight bump...and then..

Tyrant - Straight into Tyrant. A riff-based number, it's feverish and heavy. The attempt at harmonies is mercifully short during the chorus, and too high in the mix. However, Halford really picks it up during the bridge. Those harmonies are brilliant. The solo is fresh and vigorous. After a return to the regular song pattern, is a dual guitar solo that is done in tandem, harmonically. Then a repeat of the bridge, and back into the song.

Genocide - Another riff-driven number. Halford is in typical form, vigorous and high-pitched. Downing throws in some very nice fills. Not a whole lot on the solo, there is a break where a deep voice chants a slightly nonsensical message about love and sin. There's a weird break where synthesizers are melded into the mix, then Halford breaks into a staccato vocal punch. Finally, we get a solo during the epilogue. The rythym is different here as well, which keeps the shine on a song that could go dull w/o some creative changes.

Epitaph - Not my favorite song. A piano ditty, w/ a subdued Halford trying to sing totally out of his element. The melody is passable, but the backing vocals are cringe-worthy. My son terms it a weak version of Sabbath's Changes. That's fairly accurate, though the piano work is sounder. After hearing this one, you find out why they should be a metal band.

Island of Domination - In a bizzare segue, the previous song is literally taken over by an edgy metal riff. It stays riff based, w/ a series of fills by Downing. Halford is still a bit subdued, here, but it instills a sense of foreboding. Suddenly it slows, oddly enough maintaining it's heaviness. Finally, Halford hits the rafters w/ his vocals. By this time, you're ready. This one is not my favorite, but it's not on the tune out list either.

Side two tomorrow.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jan 21 2008, 09:10 PM)
Dire Straights - Twisting by the Pool

Title cut - This one has an opening worthy of the Beach Boys on their best night ever. Rocking piano added to the mix and a vigorous performance on the drums by Terry Williams really boost this one. You can actually do the twist to it. The only weak link in the song is the harmonies, which are generic and lacklustre, almost mono-tonal. Fortunately, they're pretty far back in the mix.

Badges, Posters, Stickers, and T-Shirts - A tongue-in-cheek performance reminiscent of Les Boys from Making Movies. A very up-tempo jazzy number, it also mingles old fashioned boogie-woogie and rockabilly in quite nicely. The piano provides a superb low end. The bass guitar is not really noticable until the solo; then the plodding up and down on the neck is just simply sweet, flowing boogie. Knopfler is on for the solo, which is obviously played w/ a hollow body. The resonance is superb. There's a lot of energy here. It's more like a very tight jam session than a studio recording. There's a small section of scat that's not really very skilled or necessary, but it doesn't detract from the overall flavor of the tune. It's like curry; a spice you don't really want but acceptable in context.

Two Young Lovers - This one features some sax right up front, continuing the jazz theme. It's really a simple blues, up-tempo number, but it's charm is undeniable, and the overlays are enough to mask it's simplicity. The solo is even sax, instead of Knopfler. Very unusual. This one will have you and your girl bouncing on the dance floor for sure. "Here's to the two young lovers. Let's wish them every happiness!"

If I had You - The slowest song on the album, it's an obvious lament, laden w/ a few predictable cliches. However, again, Knopfler's warm down-home vocals give this one a charm that most other performers could never pull off. Another for the dance floor, this one will have you hugging your sweet thang and swinging in time. Towards the end, an organ kicks in w/ some fills that are just perfect. It ends w/ Knopfler pleading "Baby, don't let me go," which is so appropriate, for the album is just ending too soon, and you wish the exit solo would go on much longer, as well as the album itself.

This was an EP released in 1982, a precursor to Brothers in Arms. This one is grittier, yet precise in it's direction. If you like Dire Straights, you will likely love this one. It's been one of my hidden favs for years, and rarely fails to surprise my fellow music fans that I introduce it to. The only drawback is the jazz flavor, which puts some people off. trink39.gif

I've never heard the entire EP, only the title cut and the live Two Young Lovers from Alchemy. Those two always remind me of summer, though, and the red Mustang convertible...

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 26 2008, 03:01 PM)
I've never heard the entire EP, only the title cut and the live Two Young Lovers from Alchemy. Those two always remind me of summer, though, and the red Mustang convertible...

It was Summer for me too, but it was a white Chevy pickup. (Don't laugh, it hauled ass!) I can even remember the smells...music that delves that deep into the psyche that it rekindles olfactory memory...that is something special. Dire Straights is exactly the kind of band that can do that. cool.gif

trink39.gif

Well, it's Heavy Horses, from Jethro Tull, today. Side one only, as I have just a short bit of time before I'm off to a dinner at the neighbors.

Tull was always in the back of my mind as a reason to get that stylus fixed, and I now remember why that was. I love Ian's lyrics, and "The Mouse Police Never Sleeps" is a good example of his tongue in cheek humor delivered through poetry. Musically, "No Lullaby" is a track that has everything that drew me to Tull originally, the heavier side of of things.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jan 25 2008, 08:42 PM)
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

This one is a picture disc.  Very cool, and one of the few in my collection. 

Prelude - Could be played while Snoopy begins the story..."It was a dark and Stormy night..."  It's a piano intro, gradually being accompanied by an organ.  They slowly meld and come to the end w/ a slight bump...and then..

Tyrant - Straight into Tyrant.  A riff-based number, it's feverish and heavy.  The attempt at harmonies is mercifully short during the chorus, and too high in the mix.  However, Halford really picks it up during the bridge.  Those harmonies are brilliant.  The solo is fresh and vigorous.  After a return to the regular song pattern, is a dual guitar solo that is done in tandem, harmonically.  Then a repeat of the bridge, and back into the song. 

Genocide - Another riff-driven number.  Halford is in typical form, vigorous and high-pitched.  Downing throws in some very nice fills.  Not a whole lot on the solo, there is a break where a deep voice chants a slightly nonsensical message about love and sin.  There's a weird break where synthesizers are melded into the mix, then Halford breaks into a staccato vocal punch.  Finally, we get a solo during the epilogue.  The rythym is different here as well, which keeps the shine on a song that could go dull w/o some creative changes. 

Epitaph - Not my favorite song.  A piano ditty, w/ a subdued Halford trying to sing totally out of his element.  The melody is passable, but the backing vocals are cringe-worthy.  My son terms it a weak version of Sabbath's Changes.  That's fairly accurate, though the piano work is sounder.  After hearing this one, you find out why they should be a metal band. 

Island of Domination - In a bizzare segue, the previous song is literally taken over by an edgy metal riff.  It stays riff based, w/ a series of fills by Downing.  Halford is still a bit subdued, here, but it instills a sense of foreboding.  Suddenly it slows, oddly enough maintaining it's heaviness.  Finally, Halford hits the rafters w/ his vocals.  By this time, you're ready.  This one is not my favorite, but it's not on the tune out list either. 

Side two tomorrow.

Continued...

Victim of Changes - Nice intro. Truly a groundbreaking sound when you consider this was recorded in 1976, the same year as 2112. In the middle of the disco craze, these guys were sailing into uncharted waters for certain. Great guitar work. Halford hits the stratosphere at one point when he screams out the refrain. (Geddy must have been listening.) The bridge is inspiring to say the least, but must be heard to truly understand. Words are insufficient to convey the mood it sets w/ it's tempo change.

The Ripper - One of my least favorite. However, when taking into consideration the time of the writing, it's another notch on the handle of the groundbreaking gun. Downing is all over it w/ everything from fills to a solo that amazes as it switches into odd times occassionally. (I couldn't actually nail it down, but I believe there are a few measures of 5/4 interspersed w/ a frequent passages that are in common time.

Dreamer Deceiver - Strangely enough, Halford stays in tenor range for the lion's share of this one. Solid song that segues into...

Dreamer Deceiver - Very heavy uptempo number. At times, Halford is again in the stratosphere w/ his patented shriek. The metallic edge of the guitars is like a section in Heavy Metal 101; If you missed that class, you will never get it. For the heaviest section, a 6/8 time dominates (That little tidbit comes courtesy of my son, who is much better at discerning time signatures than myself.)

All in all, a great album. An absolute necessity for students of the genre. Here, you will find the budding shoots that will eventually spawn an entire movement that today is called "heavy metal." In it's infacy, it was awesome and inspiring. (Personally, I think the seed eventually failed it's promise, but that's a discussion that belongs in another thread.)

trink39.gif

(Edited for continuity.)

Edited by steelcaressed

For anyone interested, here's what the new turntable looks like. It's a retro thing w/o many buttons and whistles, but it has already provided me w/ hours of blissful entertainment. For those of you who have never really known vinyl, this is an example of a "picture disc." You also get to see what I have been drinking while enjoying some very fine music by the fire on a cold, cold January night. trink39.gif

Humble though it be, it's mine and I love it! cool.gif

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e83/gandsome/DSCF0025-4.jpg

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jan 28 2008, 09:39 PM)
For anyone interested, here's what the new turntable looks like. It's a retro thing w/o many buttons and whistles, but it has already provided me w/ hours of blissful entertainment. For those of you who have never really known vinyl, this is an example of a "picture disc." You also get to see what I have been drinking while enjoying some very fine music by the fire on a cold, cold January night. trink39.gif

Very nice looking phonograph, and the picture disc...beautiful! I see you have your little brush for cleaning albums. I have no idea where mine is, and I really needed it today. My old copy of Heavy Horses had some serious crud on it - played it anway. I kind of enjoyed that old crackle sound that I hadn't heard in ages, that intermittent sound, a lap-counter, that lets you know the the sound is actually just a needle in a groove going round & round.

Ten Years After -- I'm Going Home

Just that one song. I played it for me and my son. Love the guitar work even if the vocals are sub-par. It was the Woodstock version. Some really sweet playing w/o a bunch of effects pedals. Love the crowd response (They were purported to be the surprise of the whole weekend at Yazger's farm.)

This was from a greatest hits album that doesn't bear another listen, even 25 years later. The rest is just garbage.

Next:

Holy Diver - Dio

(Odd tidbit: Vivian Campbell was Dio's guitarist, before he started committing atrocities w/ Def Leppard.)

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jan 28 2008, 09:39 PM)

Mmmm Kirin.....I can't find it around here much anymore, I wonder if Jenn's dad would mail me a case or five.

Well, finally got around to Maiden's Number of the Beast tonight. "Invaders" is going right now. I rememebr the first time I heard this track. I had gotten Killers when it came out (I was living in Mexico at the time). My friend had really liked it when i played it for him, so when NotB came out, we went downtown and got it. When Invaders came on, my buddy and I just looked at each other and grinned.

The glory days of metal....!

Edit:

Had forgotten about the intro to the Prisoner. F'in awesome!

Edit: My two-year-old son just came downstairs and is hugging the speakers! Good taste in music is innate...

Edited by goose

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 31 2008, 11:18 PM)
Well, finally got around to Maiden's Number of the Beast tonight. "Invaders" is going right now. I rememebr the first time I heard this track. I had gotten Killers when it came out (I was living in Mexico at the time). My friend had really liked it when i played it for him, so when NotB came out, we went downtown and got it.  When Invaders came on, my buddy and I just looked at each other and grinned.

Edit:

Edit: My two-year-old son just came downstairs and is hugging the speakers! Good taste in music is innate...

Dood, I've got sooooo much older Iron Maiden vinyl, it's not even funny. I have up to, Powerslave album picture discs, and all singles in between. Maiden loved to put out this stuff, and I was friends w/ a guy that owned a small collectors type record shop, the place even had a cat that roamed around and sat on top of the record cases. If you wanted something, he either had it, or would GET IT! And of course, me being a Maiden nut, he would get it all! If you're looking for something Maiden picture vinyl, I probably have it. Yes, I do have "The Trooper" 45 shaped picture disc, 2 copies.

I just checked, and I do have the original Sounds magazine w/ Maiden and the 'Flight of Icarus' 12' single picure disc. (Those are considered an Iron Maiden Holy Grail to collectors.

Another prized piece I have is the original AC/DC High Voltage 1st album. That's the red cover w/ the dog pissing on the transformer.

Edited by Drumnut

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 31 2008, 11:12 PM)
Well, finally got around to Maiden's Number of the Beast tonight. "Invaders" is going right now. I rememebr the first time I heard this track. I had gotten Killers when it came out (I was living in Mexico at the time). My friend had really liked it when i played it for him, so when NotB came out, we went downtown and got it.  When Invaders came on, my buddy and I just looked at each other and grinned.

Edit:

Dood, I've got sooooo much older Iron Maiden vinyl, it's not even funny. I have up to, Powerslave album picture discs, and all singles in between. Maiden loved to put out this stuff, and I was friends w/ a guy that owned a small collectors type record shop, the place even had a cat that roamed around and sat on top of the record cases. If you wanted something, he either had it, or would GET IT! And of course, me being a Maiden nut, he would get it all! If you're looking for something Maiden picture vinyl, I probably have it. Yes, I do have "The Trooper" 45 shaped picture disc, 2 copies.

I just checked, and I do have the original Sounds magazine w/ Maiden and the 'Flight of Icarus' 12' single picure disc. (Those are considered an Iron Maiden Holy Grail to collectors.

Another prized piece I have is the original AC/DC High Voltage 1st album. That's the red cover w/ the dog pissing on the transformer.

Maiden did have great imagery, and put it to good use. Your collection sounds awesome. In regards to AC/DC, I also have the red Aussie version of High Voltage, along with the Aussie TNT, Dirty Deeds and Let There Be Rock. trink39.gif

I had 2 manual turntables (Technics SL-1900MK2) and about 300 records. Man that brings back a lot of memories for me. My first record I bought was "Golden Earring-Moontan". Cranked that baby up real high. Party time! tongue.gif

I am still trying to find the perfect turntable. I have Genesis Three Sides Live Original US Edition on vinyl. Then will proceed to get every classic Genesis era album on vinyl.

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Feb 1 2008, 02:59 PM)
I had 2 manual turntables (Technics SL-1900MK2) and about 300 records. Man that brings back a lot of memories for me.

That's the whole point of the thread babe.

Now, hook it up and tell us how you like that old stuff now. trink39.gif

In honor of the previous Maiden references, here it is...

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Intro: Churchill's Speech - Listen to it to understand why it's at the beginning of this double live set (from the Powerslave Tour.) It will give you an idea of the true British fighting spirit. trink39.gif We Shall never surrender!

Aces High - Perfect lead in...and faithful to the studio version. For a singer like Dickenson to pull off those vocals live is incredible, and this is a perfect example. In addition, Dickenson is passionate about the topic, and it shines through. You can't miss his intensity when listening. Smith and Murray trade off to phenomenal effect here. McBrain is just hammering away in perfect time. Harris, the glue that binds, is dead on w/ a strong bass and great back-up vocals.

Two Minutes to Midnight - Quick segue into another monstrously up-tempo number. Dickenson is a little lower in the mix, but again, Harris is up enough to entice even the most casual bass officianado. There's a great metallic edge to this tune throughout. Again, the British character shines through. (See above concerning Churchill.) Murray and Smith are trading off again. They provide a musical repast w/ a slow break during the solo, a veritable auditory feast. McBrain holds his own so well when you consider he only has one bass drum. The hard ending is simply perfection, the metallic edge never dying until a sudden stop that gives you whiplash.

The Trooper - The intro features Murray and Smith, along w/ a flawless Harris, playing in unison. Dickenson is instinctive on it, knowing where to place his inflections. The solo is superb and fitting. Dickenson at times might seem a little rushed, but still performing great w/ Harris as a back-up.

Revelations - This is a metal band hitting on all cylinders. They stop and start together flawlessly. Then, they change tempo, and the crowd jumps in during the break (Dickenson is actually one of the rhythm guitarists here.) It's such an instinctive song. The tempo and the vocals are just a custom fit. The iron in the guitars can't be denied. They pound like a sledgehammer w/ bass accompaniment. Then, Smith lights up the sky w/ a blazing solo that is another perfect fit. They resume the structured part of the song so smoothly, you'll think you're under NO2. Then they stop, hard, in a very unlikely place. Next...

Flight of Icarus - The tempo is a little tedious, as it's way over the top (nearly, but not quite thrash.) In spite of this, the band recreates the studio version note-for-note. Dickenson is always near the top, if he's not over. A great version of a strong song, it has a hard ending that is only enhanced by Dickenson's exuberance.

Side two of album 1 follows....when I get the chance.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 1 2008, 08:09 PM)
I am still trying to find the perfect turntable. I have Genesis Three Sides Live Original US Edition on vinyl. Then will proceed to get every classic Genesis era album on vinyl.

Forget a perfect turntable. That very same quest cost me 15 years or so of great music. cool.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 1 2008, 06:39 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 31 2008, 11:12 PM)

Edit:

Maiden did have great imagery, and put it to good use. Your collection sounds awesome. In regards to AC/DC, I also have the red Aussie version of High Voltage, along with the Aussie TNT, Dirty Deeds and Let There Be Rock. trink39.gif

laugh.gif Got the same other AC/DC stuff too. tongue.gif