Just back from St. Paul show

Room 34

The show was awesome, but I'll agree that the sound was a little muddy. I was disappointed that I couldn't hear some of Geddy's bass riffs as clearly as Alex's guitar. Also, on some songs I couldn't even understand a word Geddy was singing because the sound was so bad. The show still rocked though, I had a great time.

Hey all,

Glad you enjoyed the show. I was fortunate enough to catch them in Atlanta, Phoenix, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Chicago so far.

I'm really looking foward to the 2 shows in Toronto and 1 in Ottawa to finish off the N. American tour.

The show in Chicago so far kicked the most major ass !

I wanted to share with you something I never knew before regarding the sound. When in Milwaukee, I noticed one of the sound crew guys was walking around the Marcus Amphitheatre with a tablet PC with Mics on them. I asked him at break; what that was all about. He said he is constantly measuring the sound in all parts of the Amphitheathre including the out by the lawn and wirelessly sending it back to the controller at the Sound Board so they can make key adjustments.

So when you say the sound was getting better as the night went on; I believe that has a lot to do with it. I noticed the sound was not on early in Milwaukee and then all of a sudden by Free Will it was right on. Much improved. So anyways... a cool little tid-bit there.

I just thing Rush is getting better with age.

Take care, all.

2.gif

i was in section 115 15 rows up and it the sound was one of the best inside shows ive seen. obviously some of you havent seen pantera in the target center. you want mud? lol

and yeah the security was non existent. i walked thru and the woman barely looked at us. i couldve been stuffed with recording and partying equipment. wink.gif

QUOTE (drumj56 @ Sep 10 2007, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (mars_volta @ Sep 10 2007, 04:37 PM)
any torrents of the show yet?

I recorded it. I smuggled my digital recorder in. I haven't ripped it to my computer yet, but when I do, I will upload it to TTD. The quality isn't that great, but it's still a very enjoyable and listenable recording. The Xcel has too much reverb. But anyways, yup, I was the lucky one to record it.

is it available?

QUOTE (mars_volta @ Sep 11 2007, 04:29 PM)

I recorded it. I smuggled my digital recorder in. I haven't ripped it to my computer yet, but when I do, I will upload it to TTD. The quality isn't that great, but it's still a very enjoyable and listenable recording. The Xcel has too much reverb. But anyways, yup, I was the lucky one to record it.

is it available?

Not yet. My time is limited, but I will try my best to get it out ASAP.

I thought the sound was great. also the shot of the crowd was live,i saw my license plate on the big screen so it was "our crowd". geddy almost sang the first verse of subdivisions twice and circumstances didn't "flow" but overall the show was good.

QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Sep 11 2007, 05:28 PM)
I thought the sound was great. also the shot of the crowd was live,i saw my license plate on the big screen so it was "our crowd". geddy almost sang the first verse of subdivisions twice and circumstances didn't "flow" but overall the show was good.

OK, well it's cool to know that it was live... but it definitely was NOT from the camera Geddy was holding!

QUOTE (bucky01403 @ Sep 11 2007, 08:19 PM)
Has anyone found any torrents yet?

I'd love to hear the concert I was at! 1022.gif

Section 118, row 22 is where I was. We brought binoculars and even though the view from our seats was good, it was cool to have binoculars because when you looked through those, it was like being right next to the stage! biggrin.gif

Weren't those fireworks on Far Cry the bomb? 1022.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Sep 11 2007, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (bucky01403 @ Sep 11 2007, 08:19 PM)
Has anyone found any torrents yet?

I'd love to hear the concert I was at! 1022.gif

Section 118, row 22 is where I was. We brought binoculars and even though the view from our seats was good, it was cool to have binoculars because when you looked through those, it was like being right next to the stage! biggrin.gif

Weren't those fireworks on Far Cry the bomb? 1022.gif

Not as cool as Dreamline was. wub.gif

MISSION

-2007-

now w/ 18% More BOTTOM END

kitty kat386, i was sitting literally right behind you (red hockey sweater)... were you to the left or the right of the pregnant woman and her family? if you are the redhead to the left of them then my friend Brian fell in love w/ you despite the fact that you were with your man. can't say i blame him.

at any rate, sorry kinda late weighing in on this one, just flew back home to Calif.

muddy sound? i feel bad for wherever the OP was seated b/c the sound was fine where i sat (which was literally directly below the left PA main). i thought i would get flooded out but it was absolutely perfect.

i paid out my ass for the seats but it sounds like i made the prudent decision.

i likewise noticed the gaffe coming out of the xylophone part of Circumstances but i think it was Alex who lost his place for a couple measures because the oddness was he and Geddy playing in different keys.

while Freewill was smokin' the highlight of the evening was Mission (the hottest of the tour so far that i've seen/heard) and TWTWB.

there was a tad bit of improv/embellishment on the outro jam of an exceptionally kickin' Secret Touch; likewise there was a cool little meltdown noodling out of Passage to Bangkok --> into YYZ (earlier in the tour they had ended Passage and lulled for a few seconds before '..ding da-ding ding ding...')

crowd there was way too reserved; i was in the 4th row and people were just kinda standing around looking vapid... to each his own on the drum solo opinion; i think the polyphonic marimba and ambient jamming he does before the Buddy Rich section is just surreal...

Neil smiled more this show than the last three combined... they seemed real loose; maybe b/c they had a couple days off to look forward to.

i hope there's a soundboard of this show someday... for now i'll gladly settle for any AUD source..

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Sep 9 2007, 11:45 PM)
I'm contemplating a song-by-song review, but I'm not up for that tonight.

I've been a Rush fan for 19 years and this was my first show. Wow! I'd give it an A-. Sound was muddy, but I was sitting at the back of a hockey arena; what can I expect?

Setlist spoilers follow, but hey, if you don't know the setlist by now, guess what... Rosebud was a sled.

Anyway... I was very pleased that they played "Distant Early Warning" instead of "Summertime Blues." That was the only question mark going into the evening and it turned out in my favor.

I was glad to hear my favorite Rush tune, "Digital Man," even if it wasn't really the greatest sounding.

It took until "Entre Nous" for the sound to really gel. Not sure if that was the band, the room, or just my ears. But it got a lot better from that point on.

The highlight of the evening -- for everyone, I think -- was "Freewill." The band has played this to death I'm sure, and it's been on tons of live recordings. Anyway, the guitar solo/instrumental jam section was SMOKIN' (as reluctant as I am to describe it with that term). The whole crowd was feeling it. There was this steady roar from the audience that just built and built throughout that section. It was HOT. Then, the topper... they come out of that into what if I'm not mistaken is Geddy's highest vocal line in the entire Rush catalog. I haven't heard him even ATTEMPT it on live recordings in at least a decade. But not only did he go for it, he NAILED EVERY SINGLE NOTE. Fantastic!

I love Snakes and Arrows, but I was unsure about the wisdom of starting off the second set with 5 songs from the new album. But I really thought it worked. The visuals helped. They were really cool. But the band was really ON with these new songs; you can tell they are proud of this album and enjoy playing the songs. My personal favorite for the evening was "Armor and Sword." That song is my favorite on the album, and I thought it translated really well live.

The biggest disappointment for me was the drum solo! ohmy.gif Yeah, yeah. Neil's awesome, we all know. But the whole second half of it seemed completely superfluous to me. I hated the stuff on the electronic drums, and I've always thought the swing band bit at the end is too gimmicky. But he did some really great stuff on the acoustic kit at the beginning.

Jumping backwards a bit... I think Neil got completely lost in one part of "Circumstances." It's during the complex instrumental bit, near the end of that, before it goes back into the chorus. The drums suddenly dropped out, and he seemed to be wandering around, marginally keeping time for about 8 bars before he kicked back into it. I've listened to that song countless times so I know what it's SUPPOSED to sound like, and although I understand bands are free to take liberties when they play live (and I wish Rush would do that more!) this definitely sounded like a mistake. Can anyone else who was at the show verify this for me?

A couple of last quick comments before I call it a night: I loved the visuals throughout. The computer effects on the big screen were so cool sometimes that I found myself watching them instead of the band members, which is a rarity for me! I also liked the judicious use of pyrotechnics. Very cool. And the lasers. WOW! Those lasers on "Dreamline" floored me. I observed that they seemed to be very careful to only have them pointed at the ceiling... I'm sure they'd blind you if you looked directly into them.

Overall... well, I knew the setlist, so no surprises there. I thought the band really gave it their all. The only real drawback was the overall muddy sound. But one of these days I need to spring for better tickets instead of sitting at the back of the arena for every concert I see. I'm sure that was a big part of why it sounded that way. A great show. I regret not seeing them sooner!

kitty kat386, i was sitting literally right behind you (red hockey sweater)... were you to the left or the right of the pregnant woman and her family?

Hey - I know EXACTLY who you are!!! You've got sort of long-ish curly hair, right?? You and I were the only ones actually rocking out to the show (with the exception of the drunk guy in front of me). I was to the left of the pregnant woman - red hair, black shirt with RUSH in sparkly pink letters.

if you are the redhead to the left of them then my friend Brian fell in love w/ you despite the fact that you were with your man. can't say i blame him.

awwwww wub.gif Actually, the guy I was with was my brother. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif You guys are too sweet! Was it your friend who tapped me on the shoulder to ask "what just happened" when a shit ton of people went backstage??

crowd there was way too reserved; i was in the 4th row and people were just kinda standing around looking vapid.

Welcome to Minnesota. I swear, I don't know HOW you and go to a Rush show and not rock your head off - no matter where you are, but especially in the first few rows. Yeah, they were all just standing there . . not . . doing . . anything. And a few people in the second row were SITTING DOWN. wtf.gif Not me, I was jumping around with my hands in the air like a crazy woman. My whole body hurt the next day.

A friend of mine was in the front row and actually scored a set of drum stix from Neil. Lucky bastard.

I was in section 103...a wheelchair accessable section. I was the redhead dude in the black s&a longsleeve...only wheelchair user in that area...had two friends with me.

The guy you mention was probably the same dude who was directly to my right side. He was going OFF to many songs, drunk as hell, lookin' for high fives (he got one from me when we were both geekin' out to Dreamline). 1022.gif laugh.gif

what is TTD?

My first post, and well, what a hell of a trip... def. worth the 9 hour drive!

Well, for being the first RUSH concert I've been to, I have to say, I was amazed.

2.gif

Seeing the band from the 4th row was awesome, I could not believe I was like 30 feet from Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee, and of course another 20 feet from Neil. I was in awe during the entire thing. Of course I jumped around a bit, but most of my time was spent just jaw to the floor. I could not believe how good of sound quality it was, it sounded just like the albums!

Words cannot describe the mood of the crowd once the more serious songs from S&A came on. Like during Workin Them Angels, and of course The Larger Bowl, the crowd was just staring blankly at the images in front of us. Speechless. This is what I love about this band, they can rock out like no others, but get serious pretty quick too. I think the best song of the night was by far The Spirit of Radio. The crowd totally went insane. Everyone on their feet, clapping, singing. At some points I couldn't even hear Geddy, just the crowd....craziness. Same thing with Tom Sawyer, exact same. Of course, the lady with the Canadian Flags rocked too. Considering I'm from Ontario and all biggrin.gif

One Little Victory was awesome too, the whole pyro setup was awesome for Witch Hunt, but during OLV, it really shone. Being on the floor when the fireball went off was an amazing feeling. Just this huge heatwave right over your head. I have to say;

hats off to RUSH, and all of you guys for keeping this band what it is today.

peace,

Archived