Just back from St. Paul show

Room 34

I'm contemplating a song-by-song review, but I'm not up for that tonight.

I've been a Rush fan for 19 years and this was my first show. Wow! I'd give it an A-. Sound was muddy, but I was sitting at the back of a hockey arena; what can I expect?

Setlist spoilers follow, but hey, if you don't know the setlist by now, guess what... Rosebud was a sled.

Anyway... I was very pleased that they played "Distant Early Warning" instead of "Summertime Blues." That was the only question mark going into the evening and it turned out in my favor.

I was glad to hear my favorite Rush tune, "Digital Man," even if it wasn't really the greatest sounding.

It took until "Entre Nous" for the sound to really gel. Not sure if that was the band, the room, or just my ears. But it got a lot better from that point on.

The highlight of the evening -- for everyone, I think -- was "Freewill." The band has played this to death I'm sure, and it's been on tons of live recordings. Anyway, the guitar solo/instrumental jam section was SMOKIN' (as reluctant as I am to describe it with that term). The whole crowd was feeling it. There was this steady roar from the audience that just built and built throughout that section. It was HOT. Then, the topper... they come out of that into what if I'm not mistaken is Geddy's highest vocal line in the entire Rush catalog. I haven't heard him even ATTEMPT it on live recordings in at least a decade. But not only did he go for it, he NAILED EVERY SINGLE NOTE. Fantastic!

I love Snakes and Arrows, but I was unsure about the wisdom of starting off the second set with 5 songs from the new album. But I really thought it worked. The visuals helped. They were really cool. But the band was really ON with these new songs; you can tell they are proud of this album and enjoy playing the songs. My personal favorite for the evening was "Armor and Sword." That song is my favorite on the album, and I thought it translated really well live.

The biggest disappointment for me was the drum solo! ohmy.gif Yeah, yeah. Neil's awesome, we all know. But the whole second half of it seemed completely superfluous to me. I hated the stuff on the electronic drums, and I've always thought the swing band bit at the end is too gimmicky. But he did some really great stuff on the acoustic kit at the beginning.

Jumping backwards a bit... I think Neil got completely lost in one part of "Circumstances." It's during the complex instrumental bit, near the end of that, before it goes back into the chorus. The drums suddenly dropped out, and he seemed to be wandering around, marginally keeping time for about 8 bars before he kicked back into it. I've listened to that song countless times so I know what it's SUPPOSED to sound like, and although I understand bands are free to take liberties when they play live (and I wish Rush would do that more!) this definitely sounded like a mistake. Can anyone else who was at the show verify this for me?

A couple of last quick comments before I call it a night: I loved the visuals throughout. The computer effects on the big screen were so cool sometimes that I found myself watching them instead of the band members, which is a rarity for me! I also liked the judicious use of pyrotechnics. Very cool. And the lasers. WOW! Those lasers on "Dreamline" floored me. I observed that they seemed to be very careful to only have them pointed at the ceiling... I'm sure they'd blind you if you looked directly into them.

Overall... well, I knew the setlist, so no surprises there. I thought the band really gave it their all. The only real drawback was the overall muddy sound. But one of these days I need to spring for better tickets instead of sitting at the back of the arena for every concert I see. I'm sure that was a big part of why it sounded that way. A great show. I regret not seeing them sooner!

I really wish Rush would take a step away from their mainstream.

Rather than Freewill, The Spirit of Radio, and Limelight... How about The Big Wheel, Manhattan Project, and Different Strings.

I LOVED Circumstances, Between the Wheels, and Natural Science. I would've liked to hear Fathless, and I loved all the S&A stuff.

Great show all together.

i just got home.

the show rocked. the xcel has relatively good acoustics and i thought it sounded pretty good. geddy was amazing. neils drums sounded clear and crisp. good kick drum. plenty of bass during subdivisions. alexs guitar solos were smokin. great cutting tone. the larger bowl was great live. powerful. tmmb couldve been better maybe twards the end of the show- wasnt loud enough and seemed rushed. digital man couldve been tighter but was a treat. and yes im glad they played DEW instead of SB also.

one other thing i thought of, geddy was jumping around like a nut! 1022.gif

my feet hurt, im half drunk, and have to work at 6:30. goodnight.

One quick note on "Subdivisions": I was starting to feel like I had to go to the bathroom (thanks, beer) during "Spindrift" and I was thinking ahead to when I'd have a chance. Not likely at all, since I wanted to hear all of the upcoming songs.

So I decided I'd quickly dash out during the final chorus of "The Way the Wind Blows" (one of my favorites, so I didn't want to miss it) and hopefully get back before "Subdivisions" got going. Well, I did make it back before Geddy started singing, but the "Subdivisions" keyboard riff started while I was still in the bathroom, and HOLY CRAP! The bass frequencies on the keyboard in that section were so intense in there that it sounded like the building was going to collapse.

I've been a fan since Presto, and this was my first Rush show! Made the trip from Duluth, which was a bit of a challenge since I'm disabled...so it required some planning ahead. It was worth any and all effort to make it to this show...I'm so glad I did! I've been kicking myself for missing them 2002/VT tour.

So many highlights for me, but Dreamline live confirmed it as a top 5 song for me. Same with Natural Science, TSOR, subdivisions.

I thought the new songs were excellent. Not a huge fan of Spindrift, but Far Cry, WTA, A&S blew me away.

The production and visuals were awesome...what a great show. 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

It was a great concert. But I would just like to thank the staff at the Excel Center for saving my life!

Driving down I realized I forgot my inhaler and wouldn't you know it, I came down with an asthma attack. Had to miss the first 5 songs of the second set while the staff brought me to a room to have a nebulizer treatment. To the staff I say "Thank You".

One little speed bump in an otherwise great nite. For me seeing Limelight was my highlight of the night. That is my favorite RUSH song of all time. And for anyone sitting in C-27, sorry about my BIG friend who was totally drunk,,,ugh ,,, he won't be coming any more. He weeded himself out of the picture for life.

All I have to say is that this was an awesome show. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Neil seemed to really be into the show. From what i have read here people seemed to say Neil was not smiling a whole bunch. I know I saw the professor smiling alot.

All the songs sounded excellent from where I was. Right next to the mixing boards in the back. Did anyone notice that they were recording the show? I mean video and sound. Makes you kind of wonder now... applaudit.gif

My favorite tunes for the night for me was TMMB and A&S off the new album, of the old material was Circumstances and A Passage to Bangkok.

Here is the review from the Pioneer Press if anyone is interested.

http://www.twincities.com/music/ci_6848351?nclick_check=1

I thought it was a great show, as always. I've seen every show since Power Windows, with the exception of their Counterparts tour and the 30th anniversary tour. Rush has always put on an EXCEPTIONAL show!!

I managed to score 3rd row seats to last night's show and was not disappointed. The best was during YYZ when Ged came over and stood right in front of where we were and totally made eye contact with us and goofed around with us.

They had a ton of energy, but Alex didn't seem as playful as I've seen him at other shows. But he still rocked!!

Loved the dinosaurs lined upon Alex's amp. Loved the chickens. Loved Geddy's videotaping the crowd!!!

I also found it sort of noteworthy that a lot of the fans brought their kids to the show. One father had his son in the front row with him. The boy looked to be about 6 or so. Another dad has his son, who looked to be about 12 or 13, in the second row with him. Lucky kids!! But I think it also speaks to the quality of the music, quality of the show, and quality of the crowd that parents thought it appropriate to bring their kids.

And seriously, if Rush can still pack them in to arena shows after 30 years, more power to them.

2.gif I loved it!! I wanna do it again!!!!!!

It was worth the 16 hour round trip drive. sarcasm.gif

Highlights for me were:

Dreamline - I never really cared for this song until I saw it live, and man those lasers.

Freewill - As mentioned above, the feeling in the crowd was great.

Spirit of Radio - Man I love crowd interaction.

YYZ - I've never been a big fan of this song, but oh how did this song come alive.

Hope - The main highlight of the show for me personally. I wasn't the least bit familiar with Snakes and Arrows going into the show, but this song is not only beautiful its arguably the most inventive thing Alex has done since Power Windows. WOW.wub.gif

The South Park animation before Tom Sawyer was hilarious.

Best concert Ive been too in my life. wub.gif

The only downsides, were, which seemed only on the first couple of songs, was the sound, which was fairly muddy. They seemed to fix it or my ears got used to it towards the end of the show. I'm not gonna bitch about the setlist which I personally didn't care for at all when I saw it before the show, but it turned me on too alot of gems I overlooked before; like Dreamline, Secret Touch, and Snakes and Arrows.

Gonna keep an eye out for a boot.

QUOTE (mars_volta @ Sep 10 2007, 04:37 PM)
any torrents of the show yet?

I recorded it. I smuggled my digital recorder in. I haven't ripped it to my computer yet, but when I do, I will upload it to TTD. The quality isn't that great, but it's still a very enjoyable and listenable recording. The Xcel has too much reverb. But anyways, yup, I was the lucky one to record it.

QUOTE (drumj56 @ Sep 10 2007, 04:49 PM)

I recorded it. I smuggled my digital recorder in. I haven't ripped it to my computer yet, but when I do, I will upload it to TTD. The quality isn't that great, but it's still a very enjoyable and listenable recording. The Xcel has too much reverb. But anyways, yup, I was the lucky one to record it.

Awesome man. wub.gif

The security was weak, I really wish I would've brought my camera. fists crying.gif

QUOTE (limbo @ Sep 10 2007, 05:24 PM)
they may have recorded the show i was in the 18 row on the floor and noticed that their was a couple of mics on both sides of the stage facing the crowd

They're probably recording every show on the tour, I'm guessing for a live/documentary thing.

QUOTE (drumj56 @ Sep 10 2007, 04:49 PM)

Do you have an account on dimeadozen? You should put it up there also.

Amazing show. I never knew clapping to Spirit of the Radio could be that much fun.

QUOTE (mars_volta @ Sep 10 2007, 06:20 PM)
compared to the target center or metrodome, the xcel is really dead acoustically.

I haven't been to a concert in the Metrodome (although I can only imagine how awful it must be), but I will say the Xcel is better than Target Center. But that's not saying much. (It's also better than the old St. Paul Civic Center... but still... not saying much.)

I managed to get a few pix. Yes, security was super-lax. In fact, the security guy controlling access to the first 3 rows actually took our picture for us a few times!! The resolution is poor (stupid camera phone), but these are the best ones I got:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b266/kittycat386/09-09-07_2250.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b266/kittycat386/09-09-07_2251.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b266/kittycat386/09-09-07_2252.jpg

Not sure if anyone could see, but Alex had barbie dolls on each one of his foot pedals - like 20 barbie dolls, and each one of them had a little message or sign on them. It was hilarious!!!

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Sep 10 2007, 07:22 PM)
compared to the target center or metrodome, the xcel is really dead acoustically.

I haven't been to a concert in the Metrodome (although I can only imagine how awful it must be), but I will say the Xcel is better than Target Center. But that's not saying much. (It's also better than the old St. Paul Civic Center... but still... not saying much.)

what do you expect they were playing inside a concrete wall you might as well be playing inside of a cave it is just to bad that the city if egan voted down the ampatheater for the mn orchrastra it would have sounded really good then but hell i'm just happy that they stopped here this time around no matter how bad the acoustics are

Nice pics!

One of these days I'm going to have to spring for good seats at a show like this.

I'll agree that security was lax. I was carrying a windbreaker when I came in, and the guy said "Gotta check your jacket." So I handed it to him and he quickly felt it -- as if I was carrying a pound of weed in it or something -- and let me go on in.

I was expecting to get frisked. I had my iPod, my cell phone, etc. in my pants pockets. But nothing. (Not that I WANTED to get frisked, of course... but I had nothing to hide.) It would have been extremely easy to record the show last night, if I had been so inclined. But I wasn't. I look forward to the concert DVD though!

On a marginally related note...

That thing with Geddy recording the audience was pretty weak. I had heard others note from previous shows that it was obvious that the crowd footage on screen was not from his camera, but I had no idea HOW obvious it would be. He was waving the camera around wildly as he talked, but the image of the crowd on screen was a slow, steady pan. I suppose it's possible that what we were seeing was actually the St. Paul crowd, just from a different camera mounted somewhere on stage, but... I doubt it.

QUOTE (limbo @ Sep 10 2007, 07:02 PM)

what do you expect they were playing inside a concrete wall you might as well be playing inside of a cave it is just to bad that the city if egan voted down the ampatheater for the mn orchrastra it would have sounded really good then but hell i'm just happy that they stopped here this time around no matter how bad the acoustics are

What do I expect? Well yeah, I expect the sound to be horrible, but that doesn't mean I can't lament the fact that the only venues we have suitable for a concert with the kind of draw Rush has are friggin' HOCKEY ARENAS. I have nothing against sports; it's just sad that in our culture (or any culture, probably) music doesn't warrant the kind of venue it deserves to be enjoyed properly.

I'd much rather have had them play at an outdoor amphitheater now that you mention it. I've only been to a few outdoor shows like that but they always sound much better than an arena.

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Sep 10 2007, 08:07 PM)
I'd much rather have had them play at an outdoor amphitheater now that you mention it. I've only been to a few outdoor shows like that but they always sound much better than an arena.

Actually, I do believe the concert at the Xcel was the first indoor show of the tour. I wish they could have fanagled an outdoor show - FloatRite Park in Somerset?????????? That would have been great!!!

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Sep 10 2007, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (limbo @ Sep 10 2007, 07:02 PM)

What do I expect? Well yeah, I expect the sound to be horrible, but that doesn't mean I can't lament the fact that the only venues we have suitable for a concert with the kind of draw Rush has are friggin' HOCKEY ARENAS. I have nothing against sports; it's just sad that in our culture (or any culture, probably) music doesn't warrant the kind of venue it deserves to be enjoyed properly.

well ya thats what i mean. if egan would have built that amnatheater for the mn orchrastra then they would most likly have played there in stead of the cave

Archived