Jeff Jones...WTF

The Owl

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 23 2007, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Oct 23 2007, 09:55 PM)
Didn't Jeff Jones go on to play bass for Red Rider, (from which Tom Cochrane springboarded a solo career)?

Maybe/maybe not? He did join Red Rider even before Cochrane did (late 70s). And interestingly Red Rider (with a Jeff Jones on board) DID open for Rush in the early 80s. And that same Red Rider Jeff Jones has worked with Terry Brown before. But since there's no mention anywhere of the RR Jones being the Rush Jeff Jones, I'm guessing they're not the same person.

I was at that show where RR opened for Rush and wondered (a) if it was the same JJ and (b ) if it was, how would he feel opening for them after having left the band.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 23 2007, 11:19 AM)
Yeah at least there has always been 1 member constant.

Alex

Yep, woot!

Nice post, lots of good info. Geddy was in Rush in, what, '69 forward, and Neil in '74 forward. The first year of a band forming when everyone's a partying teenager hardly count towards the real achievements later.

Anywho, this part caught my attention:

SUMMER 1973 - Rush's first single is recorded.
- Produced by David Stock at Easter Sound Studios in
Toronto.
- Recorded under Moon Records Lable.
- Songs Recorded: Not Fade Away
You Can't fight It (B-side)

I've never heard these 2 songs. Is there some way to get them online anywhere?

QUOTE (Atomic @ Oct 24 2007, 05:30 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 23 2007, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Oct 23 2007, 09:55 PM)
Didn't Jeff Jones go on to play bass for Red Rider, (from which Tom Cochrane springboarded a solo career)?

Maybe/maybe not? He did join Red Rider even before Cochrane did (late 70s). And interestingly Red Rider (with a Jeff Jones on board) DID open for Rush in the early 80s. And that same Red Rider Jeff Jones has worked with Terry Brown before. But since there's no mention anywhere of the RR Jones being the Rush Jeff Jones, I'm guessing they're not the same person.

I was at that show where RR opened for Rush and wondered (a) if it was the same JJ and (b ) if it was, how would he feel opening for them after having left the band.

The RR Jones has had a successful career if you read up on him. I seriously doubt he's kicking himself if in fact it's the same dude.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 23 2007, 04:41 PM)
Jeff or Jeffery is a very common English speaking First name, and Jones is an even more common last name. It's entirely possible that it could be the same guy, but most likley not

I have a hunch it is the same Jeff Jones. The Canadian music business is a much smaller world than you might think, and as far as I can tell the opening act/Terry Brown connections are too good to be coincidence.

Plus, if you were trying to make a name for yourself as a bassist, would you go around telling people about the bands you were kicked out of?

QUOTE (Magnus @ Oct 24 2007, 12:16 PM)
Jeff  or Jeffery is a very common English speaking First name, and Jones is an even more common last name.  It's entirely possible that it could be the same guy, but most likley not

I have a hunch it is the same Jeff Jones. The Canadian music business is a much smaller world than you might think, and as far as I can tell the opening act/Terry Brown connections are too good to be coincidence.

Plus, if you were trying to make a name for yourself as a bassist, would you go around telling people about the bands you were kicked out of?

This makes sense. But keeping information such as being the original bassist for Canada's most successful rock band is kind of hard to maintain under wraps don't you think? Since RR Jones IS successful, it doesn't really matter that he was the original bassist that was kicked out. So wouldn't this kind of info come out whether he wanted it to or not?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 23 2007, 11:28 PM)
Jeff  or Jeffery is a very common English speaking First name, and Jones is an even more common last name.  It's entirely possible that it could be the same guy, but most likley not

This makes sense. But keeping information such as being the original bassist for Canada's most successful rock band is kind of hard to maintain under wraps don't you think? Since RR Jones IS successful, it doesn't really matter that he was the original bassist that was kicked out. So wouldn't this kind of info come out whether he wanted it to or not?

...but the whole point of this thread is that it isn't under wraps. He just doesn't get as much attention as Rutsey because he never recorded an album with them (and as far as canon is concerned, RUSH as we know it started with the 1974 album).

QUOTE (Magnus @ Oct 25 2007, 08:04 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 23 2007, 11:28 PM)

...but the whole point of this thread is that it isn't under wraps. He just doesn't get as much attention as Rutsey because he never recorded an album with them (and as far as canon is concerned, RUSH as we know it started with the 1974 album).

Not sure if I got my point across. Most hard hard harcore Rush fans know that Jeff Jones was the original Rush bassist. And yah, we all recognize '74 as being the greatest year in Earth's history. My point is that it's hard NOT to get information these days. So don't you think IF the JJ Rush and JJ Red Rider are the same person, that it'd be found somewhere by someone...perhaps by one of the Rush biographers (the B-Man for example)?

Geddy's mom pronounced his name Geddy instead of Gary due to her heavy accent. The book says he changed his name because of the way his grandmother spoke. I do believe he lost his grandparents in the Nazy concentration camps.

Archived