What groups does Rush listen to?

ReflectedLight

I love Neil, but damn, that man has horrible taste in music. 062802puke_prv.gif

I assume that since Geddy and Alex are always credited with the music part of the writing credits that they listen to good music. So maybe it's a good thing Neil sticks to lyrics, or we'd be listening to a Rush that sounds like Britney Spears. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Sep 2 2007, 04:54 PM)
Geddy used to be a big fan of Bill Bruford. Great taste! common001.gif

I think I saw an old 1980's interview, that I think was on the Rush In Rio dvd where he mentioned lisening to Him, as well as all of Yes, and in that interview they mentioned Pink Floyd as well.

QUOTE (BearFrog @ Sep 2 2007, 05:53 PM)
I love Neil, but damn, that man has horrible taste in music. 062802puke_prv.gif

I assume that since Geddy and Alex are always credited with the music part of the writing credits that they listen to good music. So maybe it's a good thing Neil sticks to lyrics, or we'd be listening to a Rush that sounds like Britney Spears. ph34r.gif

Thats a bit of an overstatment. Just because he listens to Pop, which I admit is kind of weird, dosen't mean he dosen't listen to music that "falls in with our tastes" plus the man is a huge Jazz fan, problbly more so than any other genere of music. He is a very talented musician, and has made major contributions to the music writing process, as well as the songwriting. Niel is a percussionist, not just a drummer. How many drummers out there have Orchrestial Bell, Chimes, Triangles, Gongs, or Temple blocks within one drum set? Or atleast had (now that it is all electronic, most of these are now programmed within his MalletKat).

How is it "weird" that he listens to some pop? I didn't know it was against the law to like music that doesn't sound like your own. In Travelling Music, he talks about Madonna and 98 Degrees. Whatever. I like Justin Timberlake. If Rush only listened to prog bands all the time, they would have never moved on from their '70s sound.

And yes, I know there are some people on here who would have liked that.

Neil may like 98 Degrees, but he does like Mars Volta, Tool, Porcupine Tree, The Who, and if he still likes the music from his twenties, Yes, Pink Floyd, Talking Heads. So he does have a good taste. He just happens to like pop as well.

If he keeps drumming like he does, then he can listen to whatever.

I wonder if after numerous takes in the studio, playing dozens of tour dates night after night, if they take a break from music altogether.....?

My guess would be they probably do.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 3 2007, 12:15 AM)
How is it "weird" that he listens to some pop? I didn't know it was against the law to like music that doesn't sound like your own. In Travelling Music, he talks about Madonna and 98 Degrees. Whatever. I like Justin Timberlake. If Rush only listened to prog bands all the time, they would have never moved on from their '70s sound.

And yes, I know there are some people on here who would have liked that.

Yes they went through their police and some of the brit eighties bands phase,and a lot of fans could not cope with that,they were certainly listening to other bands,thats what quite a lot of us that listen to all types of music like biggrin.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I remember Geddy saying he liked The Cure and Enya on the Interview With Kings interview disc but that was a few years ago of course. I don't recall what other artists he mentioned.

As for Neil, he seems to be a well rounded music listener although I can't get on board with Frank Sinatra. 062802puke_prv.gif

Alex? I have no clue.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 2 2007, 06:59 PM)
As far as I know...

Geddy:
Bjork
Radiohead
Arcade Fire

Alex:
Tool
Porcupine Tree
Mars Volta

Neil:
Frank Sinatra
Jeff Buckley
........................98 Degrees.............................

Sounds like I'm a mix of Ged's and Alex's tastes... But I know that Neil likes The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree as well.

And I think they must like Primus; Alex had Les Claypool on his solo album, plus Primus opened for them...

Archived