Tombstone

JDL2112

I have seen Tombstone a few times...(like 50 few) and at some point I really felt that Val Kilmer played Doc Holliday as well as anyone.

I recently went to a Val Kilmer fan page, and they were having a discussion about the fact that they felt he should have received a nomination for best supporting actor, and probably won it for his role.

What I learned from this site was that the company that submits actors or crew for consideration simply "didn't get the request in on time".

Does anyone have an insight on this?

Also, does anyone feel that his portrayal was Oscar worthy?

biggrin.gif

Since Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies, I have to agree Val Kilmer was great as Doc Holiday.

As far as an Oscar...I really can't answer that. It's a simple reason as to why I can't. This is a movie that came of in 1994. How can I sit here 13 years later and say yeah he should have got an oscar. I would need to know what other movies were out, who else would be up as supporting Actor.

Do you have any links to the sites you mention?

QUOTE (owlswing @ Aug 26 2007, 02:22 PM)
Since Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies, I have to agree Val Kilmer was great as Doc Holiday.

As far as an Oscar...I really can't answer that. It's a simple reason as to why I can't. This is a movie that came of in 1994. How can I sit here 13 years later and say yeah he should have got an oscar. I would need to know what other movies were out, who else would be up as supporting Actor.

Hi there...you know what, I don't have the links anymore...it was a few years ago, but the answer stuck in my head all this time.

I was actually just looking for it on my other monitor here...if I bump into it, I'll put it up right away!

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Aug 26 2007, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Aug 26 2007, 02:22 PM)

As far as an Oscar...I really can't answer that. It's a simple reason as to why I can't. This is a movie that came of in 1994.  How can I sit here 13 years later and say yeah he should have got an oscar. I would need to know what other movies were out, who else would be up as supporting Actor.

Hi there...you know what, I don't have the links anymore...it was a few years ago, but the answer stuck in my head all this time.

I was actually just looking for it on my other monitor here...if I bump into it, I'll put it up right away!

From what I have heard about Val Kilmer he really makes himself into the part he playing. I think that was around the time of the Doors Movie, where his co-stars on the set got really worried about him.

I remember seeing Tombstone a few days after its release in theaters. I came out of that movie and said to my wife, "If Kilmer doesn't win an Oscar for that performance it is a complete miscarriage of justice."

Kilmer should have won. No doubt. One of the most amazing performances by an actor I have ever seen. Kilmer's Holliday is one of my favorite movie characters of all time.

Yes, Kilmer more than deserved an Oscar.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to pimp (once again) the 'Tombstone' special edition DVD.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EJ3RN17PL._SS500_.jpg

All real 'Tombstone' fans should own this.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 29 2007, 11:16 PM)
The question is: Would Johnny Depp have done a better job than Val for that role?

Depp is certainly a capable actor, an interesting choice for the role and would have brought his own unique stylings to the character. But I can't imagine anyone doing a better job than Kilmer did. I know I said it before, but this is one of my favorite movie performances of all time.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 30 2007, 08:48 PM)
The question is: Would Johnny Depp have done a better job than Val for that role?

Depp is certainly a capable actor, an interesting choice for the role and would have brought his own unique stylings to the character. But I can't imagine anyone doing a better job than Kilmer did. I know I said it before, but this is one of my favorite movie performances of all time.

+1

Yeah, I guess you're right. No one could have topped that performance.

I do agree that Val Kilmer did an excellent job of portraying Doc Holiday but I think that Dennis Quaid did an equaly good job of playing Doc in "Wyatt Earp".

I love history so I think I liked "Wyatt Earp" just a little more than "Tombstone" because it was a more complete story about the life of Wyatt Earp.

They were both great movies though.

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Aug 26 2007, 04:59 PM)
I have seen Tombstone a few times...(like 50 few) and at some point I really felt that Val Kilmer played Doc Holliday as well as anyone.

I recently went to a Val Kilmer fan page, and they were having a discussion about the fact that they felt he should have received a nomination for best supporting actor, and probably won it for his role.

What I learned from this site was that the company that submits actors or crew for consideration simply "didn't get the request in on time".

Does anyone have an insight on this?

Also, does anyone feel that his portrayal was Oscar worthy?

biggrin.gif

Actually, his role was critical in that movie. I feel he really did a great job.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 30 2007, 09:29 PM)
I do agree that Val Kilmer did an excellent job of portraying Doc Holiday but I think that Dennis Quaid did an equaly good job of playing Doc in "Wyatt Earp".

I love history so I think I liked "Wyatt Earp" just a little more than "Tombstone" because it was a more complete story about the life of Wyatt Earp.

I don't like Kevin Costner. He is horrible! If it weren't for his supporting cast, Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves would have flopped. He couldn't even give a fake English accent in that one!

I didn't like Wyatt Earp mostly for the acting.

goodpost.gif I feel Val Kilmer is also one of the most underrated actors out there....Look at all the different type of movies he's done.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 30 2007, 10:04 PM)

goodpost.gif I feel Val Kilmer is also one of the most underrated actors out there....Look at all the different type of movies he's done.

oh,this is not to underestimate Depp who is, in large, another favorite actor of mine.....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 30 2007, 10:02 PM)

I don't like Kevin Costner. He is horrible! If it weren't for his supporting cast, Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves would have flopped. He couldn't even give a fake English accent in that one!

I don't think Kevin Costner is a bad actor but he has been miscast is some rolls that were not good for him. Robin Hood was a good example.

I thought He was a pretty good Wyatt Earp and I like that the movie was a more realistic portrayal of the whole life of Wyatt Earp. American history fascinates me so maybe thats why I liked it.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 31 2007, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 30 2007, 10:02 PM)

I don't think Kevin Costner is a bad actor but he has been miscast is some rolls that were not good for him. Robin Hood was a good example.

I thought He was a pretty good Wyatt Earp and I like that the movie was a more realistic portrayal of the whole life of Wyatt Earp. American history fascinates me so maybe thats why I liked it.

Costner casts himself. These are his movies. He was the producer for every one of them-Dances with Wolves, Robin Hood, Waterworld, Wyatt Earp , The Bodyguard, Message in a Bottle, The Postman, were done by him. That's why he was cast in them.

In some of these, he was also the director....

But this is also the reason I don't like as much because he can obviously spot a good script. He should stay behind the scenes & get those scripts out with better actors. Sorry, I just don't like him as an actor.

QUOTE (Sark @ Aug 31 2007, 09:52 AM)
I thought Costner was good in Open Range. I prefer Kurt Russell in Earp's role.

Didn't see open range but Costner also produced that as well. As far as Kurt Russell, I agree. The role fit him better.....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Sep 2 2007, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Aug 31 2007, 09:52 AM)
I thought Costner was good in Open Range. I prefer Kurt Russell in Earp's role.

Didn't see open range but Costner also produced that as well. As far as Kurt Russell, I agree. The role fit him better.....

ANYTHING Kurt Russell does is going to be a better fit than Costner. Russell brings confidence to a role, whereby Costner only brings cockiness. Costner thinks he's so good that the role is blessed with his portraying it. It comes across on screen like a bad stink. The only time he appears good on screen is when he has a high power co-star to save the scene (i.e., Tim Robbins, Sean Connery, Morgan Freeman, etc.).

Tombstone is one of the greatest ensemble cast movies ever made. Anyone who was in it should be proud as hell, and anyone who was in it did an awesome job in their roles. All the way up from Sam Elliott right on down to Jason Priestley.

This movie was our first date. We spent the entire movie pointing at all the who's who and just had a blast throughout. I wonder if we would have made it to a second date if the movie sucked? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 2 2007, 01:41 PM)

no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

No disrespect to Depp. Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of his talent and few can touch just HOW GOOD he is. But even less can touch Kilmer's performance in this movie. It's one of the best performances on screen, period.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Sep 2 2007, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 2 2007, 01:41 PM)

no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

No disrespect to Depp. Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of his talent and few can touch just HOW GOOD he is. But even less can touch Kilmer's performance in this movie. It's one of the best performances on screen, period.

yes.gif

Anytime anyone really nails the role I don't even want to begin to think of another person in the role, even if they have more "respect" as an actor. I love hearing the other actors that read for roles in classics after they are released. You just can't picture anyone else in these roles.