Moving parts

a boy alone

OK, I thought it would be fun and interesting for us to share with one and other one of our most emotionally moving musical parts of any Rush song. Describe the part by stating the lyrics around the part. I think this will be fun and also give us more reason to review Songs from Rush. I will start with what I believe is the most moving piece of music I have heard from the band...... "Apollo Was Astonished" Edited by a boy alone

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the musical interludes between the verses of "Losing It". I was fifteen years old in 1982, and had been dancing ballet since the age of seven, but a growth spurt had recently landed me at five foot nine (175 cm), and that's a death knell for any would-be ballerina. Mind you, I was never slated to be the next Pavlova, but that doesn't make the situation any easier when you're a teen-aged girl.

The lyrics to that song helped me crystallize some of my regret, and the music helped me wash it out of my system. Very strong memories for me.

Heresy is a song that has always moved me. Others are The Pass ,Red Barchetta, Mission and Ghost rider. 2.gif

in Resist, RiR, when you can hear the crowd sing along- first time i heard that song and when it all changes into 'you can pray, pray without surrender... etc, that really got me, s well as the lyrics i though the crowd singing gavit a bit more power too.

how it is, 'foot upon the stair, shoulder to the wheel, you cant tell yourself not to care, you cant tell yourself how to feel' not onyl the way geds sings that wub.gif but also, at the time and also still those words mean alot to me, and hearing them for the first time helped me understand my situation at the time, in fct the whole son helped me, and its up in my top 5 now.

the pass, some of the lyrics struck a nerve (again i heard this first in RiR), rebel without a concience, martyr without a cause....Its not as if this barricade, Blocks the only road, it's not as if your all alone, wanting to explode... as well as the chorus, dont turn your back and slam the door on me, sucha powerful song i think.

one little victory on the other hand makes me feel different- every tiem i hear it, i get exited and it makes me happy. i dont listen to it often, but when i do every time it gets me, and makes me feel how i have done on my past little victories. that is why it's my favourite song from rush.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

also, there are so many other songs that give me chills, to name a few, Spindrift, Bravado, Between the Wheels, Good News First...

Edited by Grapes_under_pressure

Some of my favorite Rush moments:

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand....."

"Any escape might help to smooth the unatractive truth......"

"It's cold comfort to the ones without it..."

"Like A sollitary pine, on a bare wind blasted shore...."

1022.gif Apollo was atonished

Dionysus thought me mad

But they heard my story further

And they wondered, and were sad

Looking down from olympus

On a world of doubt and fear

Its surface splintered

Into sorry hemispheres:haz:

Makes Me So Happy! laugh.gif smile.gif 653.gif cool.gif

The song "We Hold On", had never done a lot for me until yesterday. I liked it, but it wasn't one of those songs that struck a chord.

Well, I was driving along thinking of how tired I was of feeling sad lately (in the last two weeks, a close buddy lost his 8-year old son to sudden heart failure, a 50-year old colleague was found dead in bed, another colleague's mother is dying, another colleague's boyfirend took his own life, and an aquaintance was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer), and, of course, the song came on at the perfect time. Like so many RUSH songs already mentioned in this thread, "We Hold On" was there at the right time, with the perfect music and lyrics to help things make a little more sense, to elevate my mood.

There are so many, and I've only heard half of Rush's albums!

Particularly special to me is the entire vocal performance of Distant Early Warning. It is so urgent and emotionally charged. It makes me feel so much. I love the way that Geddy sounds like he's actually holding back, like he's at the very edge of not even being able to sing properly because the feeling is so intense. Or is it just me?

Another really significant moment is the line "Sensitive, open and strong," from Natural Science. It's an inexplicable and purely emotional reaction when I hear that line. It makes me think of the person I want to be, and makes me believe in the possibility of actually being that person.

Notable musical as opposed to lyrical moments: The guitar chords over the bassline going into the instrumental break in Digital Man right after the first "He won't need a bed, he's a digital man," make me shiver with pleasure. The drum solo at the end of Anthem electrifies me no matter how many times I hear it. And in The Spirit Of Radio, the guitar kicking in after the intro sounds like excitement at just being alive.

I joined this website yesterday, and I thought this topic was pretty cool. I'll put in my opinions:

I really like the parts in The Way the Wind Blows when the guitar chords are playing and geddy is singing. also the end of that song is awesome.

Also, the whole song of Afterimage.

Hmm, that's all I can think of off the top of my head but I know there's more.

Wow, too many to choose. But when Alex comes out of the guitar solo in "Dreamline" with that super high-sustained note and the vocals kick in with so much energy, it nearly always knocks me on my ass.

Also, the end of Hemispheres (truth of love, etc.). I know it's obvious, but it's some of the most emotional music I have ever heard.

Al's solo at the end of Mission. I've always loved it, but it nearly had me in tears at every show I saw recently. I actually wanted to scream at Geddy not to start singing over the end of it - in fact I might well have done laugh.gif Edited by willowroolz

I also really like that deep, oppresive feeling most of the music in Witch Hunt gives me. That song is really dark and really great!

2.gif Witch Hunt 2.gif