Star Wars, LOTR, Star Trek & Harry Potter

rushgoober

When the first Star Wars movie came out I was 8. I saw it 11 times in the theaters. By now, including tv, cable, re-releases and video, I've probably seen it 30-35 times, easily way more than any other movie. I just never got over how mindblowing it was when I was a kid, and even though now I can see that some of the dialogue is a little goofy, it's still total movie magic to me and still remains my favorite film of all time.

I love the first trilogy, the second trilogy got better with each movie, but still wasn't what the originals were. The bad acting and goofy dialogue got the better of it in many places, but they were still way fun and awesome eye candy.

Ah, the glorious many splendored kingdoms of geekdom!

I also LOVE Star Trek. The best movies to me were II & IV, and I generally liked all the TNG movies, but to me it was always about the tv show. FIVE SERIES and all of them brilliant to me. TNG will always be my favorite, but they really barely put a foot wrong in all the different series. I was heartbroken when they cancelled Enterprise since it totally rocked, but alas, the numbers were no longer there to keep the franchise going. sad.gif

Lord of the Rings - man, never have I ever seen an adaptation from books to movies as successful as these ones. Pure f*cking genius and something to be treasured always by me, my family and many, many others for generations to come! yes.gif cool.gif

And Harry Potter - man do I love these freaking books! The movies, for me are mere shadows of the books, especially the last 3 with their rushed Reader's Digest verisons, but still they're lots of fun and the books to me are amazing creations of imagination. I enjoy the hell out of those things. yes.gif

So please join in and raise your geek flag high! Let us know what you're geeky about. For me, I'm a sci-fi/fantasy geek all the way. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/geek.jpg

Geekdom can be a very fun thing... I love Star Wars and LOTR, and have seen every movie in both series multiple times. I even read a book version of the original SW trilogy, and used to read some of the spinoff material laugh.gif

However, I've actually never watched Star Trek other than seeing random episodes from time to time. I've also never read or seen any of the Harry Potters. Not that I have anything against either series, I guess I just never got around to it.

But I think I can add something to this thread... I enjoy a lot of anime. I'm not too hardcore into it, but I like a lot of different animes and watched the complete series of most of them when I was younger. Now I'm trying to acquire funds to buy some on DVD... these include Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball Z, Ghost in the Shell, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and FLCL (Fooly Cooly)... and probably a few more I can't remember.

Oh, and I love video games >_>

http://rickdakan.com/archives/Geek-Mafia-Web-Res-Cover.jpg

I'm with ya on the first "Star Wars" movie all the way. I was nine-years-old, and there was nothing like it before. I saw it in the theatre six times, and have now seen it (on VHS, TV, theatrical re-release, and DVD) probably more than a hundred times. Sometimes when I see it, it's 1977 all over again, and I'm nine-years-old; it's magic.

It wasn't until I became an adult that I learned there was much more going on in the film than mere escapist entertainment. It can be pretty deep, especially when you add the prequels and get the whole story of Anakin Skywalker.

This is not to say that I dress up as Chewbacca, wait in line one week before each film's release, or build model spaceships at home of the Millenium Falcon and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter... but I AM a big "Star Wars" fan, and I still consider the 1977 movie as my very favorite of all time.

I also went through a Tolkien phase as a kid - reading the books, seeing the Bakshi animated movie, and playing Dungeons & Dragons. By the time of Peter Jackson's films that obsession had long since passed, but I still enjoyed his epics. ("Star Wars," meanwhile, never left me.)

"Star Trek" I can take or leave, but sometimes appreciate. In true Science Fiction mode, many of the stories are allegories for deeper issues, etc., and that can be very enlightening. But I get a laugh from those geeks with vulcan ears and "I Grok Spock" t-shirts who go to conventions, and I think "Galaxy Quest" was just a riot of a Trek parody!

"Harry Potter." No real interest.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I love Trek and Star Wars. Played D&D in the late seventies. Never got into LOTR or Potter. Quit playing video games about 10 years ago due to the time needed to play them. Does that make me 50% geeky?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 5 2007, 01:52 PM)
I'm with ya on the first "Star Wars" movie all the way. I was nine-years-old, and there was nothing like it before. I saw it in the theatre six times, and have now seen it (on VHS, TV, theatrical re-release, and DVD) probably more than a hundred times. Sometimes when I see it, it's 1977 all over again, and I'm nine-years-old; it's magic.

It wasn't until I became an adult that I learned there was much more going on in the film than mere escapist entertainment. It can be pretty deep, especially when you add the prequels and get the whole story of Anakin Skywalker.

This is not to say that I dress up as Chewbacca, wait in line one week before each film's release, or build model spaceships at home of the Millenium Falcon and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter... but I AM a big "Star Wars" fan, and I still consider the 1977 movie as my very favorite of all time.

I also went through a Tolkien fan as a kid - reading the books, seeing the Bakshi animated movie, and playing Dungeons & Dragons. By the time of Peter Jackson's films that obsession had long since passed, but I still enjoyed the movies. (And "Star Wars" has never left me.)

"Star Trek" I can take or leave, but sometimes appreciate. In true Science Fiction mode, many of the stories are allegories of deeper issues, etc. I get a laugh from those geeks with vulcan ears and "I Grok Spock" t-shirts who go to conventions, and I think "Galaxy Quest" was just a riot of a ST parody!

"Harry Potter." No real interest.

Yeah, I've never been to a convention and don't dress up, but it's all good fun. I did see a Star Wars museum exhibit in San Diego several years back, and I've seen people dressed up as Stromtroopers and stuff in Los Angeles at the premier of the first of the new trilogy and waiting in line in San Francisco for tickets to the re-release of the special edition of the 1977 movie in 1997. When I was 8 or 9 I was R2-D2 for Halloween. My mom made me this ridiculous costume out of poster board, but it was fun. yes.gif

Galaxy Quest is a total riot and gloriously makes fun of the whole geek scene, while still appealing to geeks at the same time. Very well done. yes.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 5 2007, 01:56 PM)
I love Trek and Star Wars. Played D&D in the late seventies. Never got into LOTR or Potter. Quit playing video games about 10 years ago due to the time needed to play them. Does that make me 50% geeky?

There are many other geeky activities besides just the ones I mentioned. I qualify you as plenty geeky. tongue.gif

What is this, the Revenge Of The Nerds thread? laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 5 2007, 05:01 PM)
What is this, the Revenge Of The Nerds thread? laugh.gif

The attached post was made by a closet nerd hoping not to get noticed. Nice try.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 03:49 PM)
Geekdom can be a very fun thing... I love Star Wars and LOTR, and have seen every movie in both series multiple times. I even read a book version of the original SW trilogy, and used to read some of the spinoff material laugh.gif

However, I've actually never watched Star Trek other than seeing random episodes from time to time. I've also never read or seen any of the Harry Potters. Not that I have anything against either series, I guess I just never got around to it.

But I think I can add something to this thread... I enjoy a lot of anime. I'm not too hardcore into it, but I like a lot of different animes and watched the complete series of most of them when I was younger. Now I'm trying to acquire funds to buy some on DVD... these include Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball Z, Ghost in the Shell, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and FLCL (Fooly Cooly)... and probably a few more I can't remember.

I'm a proud anime geek. I think if most anime haters could get past their preconceived notions of what anime is, shows like Cowboy Bebop would be heralded as classic sci-fi by almost everyone. Anime is like the bastard child of geekdom...even Star Wars nerds look down on us. laugh.gif

Hey MD, there's this newer anime I recommend if you haven't seen it...Black Lagoon. I just started watching it and there's only two DVDs out so far, but if the series keeps going like it is, it'll be up there with Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Berserk, Saikano, and Outlaw Star to me. It's balls out and rules.

I also love the typical comic/horror/fantasy/videogame geek stuff, but those don't get as much shit as anime.

Edited by Storm Shadow

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 5 2007, 03:57 PM)
I did see a Star Wars museum exhibit in San Diego several years back

I saw that exhibit... also in San Diego, and also "several years back."

We were on our California honeymoon and saw the posters for it. I pointed and begged, and talked my wife into going... and she was pleasantly suprised by the quality of the exhibit; it wasn't what she was expecting.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 5 2007, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 5 2007, 03:57 PM)
I did see a Star Wars museum exhibit in San Diego several years back

I saw that exhibit... also in San Diego, and also "several years back."

We were on our California honeymoon and saw the posters for it. I pointed and begged, and talked my wife into going... and she was pleasantly suprised by the quality of the exhibit; it wasn't what she was expecting.

yeah, it was one of those museums in that beautiful part of san diego that has all the museums and parks. it was probably somewhere between late 99 and early 01 - can't remember exactly when though. it was fun - lot of original costumes from the movies and stuff...

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Aug 5 2007, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 03:49 PM)

I'm a proud anime geek. I think if most anime haters could get past their preconceived notions of what anime is, shows like Cowboy Bebop would be heralded as classic sci-fi by almost everyone. Anime is like the bastard child of geekdom...even Star Wars nerds look down on us. laugh.gif

Hey MD, there's this newer anime I recommend if you haven't seen it...Black Lagoon. I just started watching it and there's only two DVDs out so far, but if the series keeps going like it is, it'll be up there with Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Berserk, Saikano, and Outlaw Star to me. It's balls out and rules.

I also love the typical comic/horror/fantasy/videogame geek stuff, but those don't get as much shit as anime.

I'll have to check out Black Lagoon, I hadn't heard of it until now. But yeah, most people I know aren't into anime/dislike it. But a few of my friends seem to like most of the more popular "breakthrough" anime movies, like Akira, Princess Mononoke, X, etc.

Oh, and how could I forget... the best giant robot anime ever, MAYBE being rivaled by some of the Gundam series'... Robotech! laugh.gif I loved this show SO much a few years ago... definitely need to buy it.

http://www.regnodelleanime.supereva.it/images/robotech/robotech2.jpeg

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 5 2007, 05:07 PM)
What is this, the Revenge Of The Nerds thread?  laugh.gif

The attached post was made by a closet nerd hoping not to get noticed. Nice try.

The attached post was made by someone who needs to go outside and look up about 30,000 feet, so they can see just how far the point of my post flew over their head.

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 5 2007, 07:04 PM)

The attached post was made by someone who needs to go outside and look up about 30,000 feet, so they can see just how far the point of my post flew over their head.

eyesre4.gif

The attached reply was made with the sarcasm button in the "off" position. Please turn it on. Thank you. wink.gif

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/geeky0.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/geeky5.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/geeky1.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/geeky2.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/geeky4.jpg

I like all of the following

Video games (best thing ever)

Star Trek

Star Wars

Harry Potter

D&D (and other pen and paper stuff)

LOTR

Anybody who wishes to bash me for doing so is perfectly within their rights.

Harry Potter...never seen any of the movies and have only read the first 3 books. I thought those that I read were good SO I don't want to possibly ruin them by seeing the movies. Make sense?

LOTR...tried watching parts 1 and 3 twice each but fell asleep all 4 times. Guess I'm not into it. Before you LOTR geeks start bashing me, just accept that it IS possible NOT to like these movies.

Star Wars...really like the original 3 but dislike the prequels (and I ablsolutely loathe that kid that played little Anakin)

Star Trek...love the original series for its cheesiness and focus on Kirk/Spock/Bones. I thought TNG series had it's moments but overall I didn't like it too much. Most of the Star Trek movies sucked but I did enjoy parts 2, 6, and 8 (1st Contact?...whichever number that one was I liked).

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 5 2007, 06:04 PM)

eyesre4.gif

rofl3.gif