NCAA Football 2007 -- let the trash talking begin!

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Sep 1 2007, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2007, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Sep 1 2007, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2007, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Sep 1 2007, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2007, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Sep 1 2007, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Aug 30 2007, 02:15 PM)
Skimming through SI.com, Bill Trocchi has a list of conferences by strength.  I agree for the most part.

1) SEC
2) Big 12
3) Big 10
4) Big East
5) PAC 10
6) ACC
7) Moutain West
8) WAC
9) Conference USA
10) MAC
11) Sun Belt

I don't agree with the Pac 10 being rated so low. I think the Pac 10 is currently better than the Big 10 and Big East.

Otherwise, it looks about right.

I don't. Not better than the Big 10 for sure. The Big 10 is not top heavy this year but it's very deep.

Dude, one of the best teams in the Big 10, Michigan, is lucky to eake out a win against lowly east carolina, AT HOME.

The Big Ten is overrated.

That's called an upset. It happens. There are at least 6 really solid teams in the Big 10. You can't say that about the PAC10.

Well, let's not forget that the Pac-10 has USC, which is FAR better than any team in the Big 10.

As for the rest . . . . let's see what California does against Tennesse tonight. That game will profoundly affect my judgement, one way or another, about how strong or weak the Pac 10 is this year.

That's it. Only a few good teams in the PAC 10.

I am not disagreeing with you that the Pac-10 is top heavy. It has been that way for the last several years, with one awesome team and a bunch of other okay-to-pitiful other teams.

Perhaps our disagreement lies in assessing the strength of the Big 10. I don't think as much of that conference as you apparently do. Sure, historically, the Big 10 has been one of the best conferences in all of college football. But times have changed. Lately, the Big 10 has been a subpar, highly overrated, conference.

To throw out a statistic, the Pac-10's bowl record over the last few years has been better than the Big-10's.

Ohio St.

Michigan (even thought they were upset)

Mich. St.

Iowa

Penn St.

Wisconsin

Are all going to be good teams. Not medicore but good.

Purdue

Ill.

Minn.

Are on the cusp.

This is a deep conference with not much at the top. It's solid.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your argument in favor of the Big Ten obviously just got a lot weaker with Michigan's loss to lowly App. St. (CONGRAT'S APP. ST.),

Look, I feel sick on my stomach just from the very idea of trying to argue on behalf of the Pac 10. I hate the Pac 10. I have given you my opinion, and let's just leave it at that. I don't care to argue in favor of a conference that I loathe. Maybe some Pac 10 fan will step up and do the honors. Until then, my opinion stands . . . but nobody would be happier than me if my estimate of the Pac-10 proved to be wrong this year. If the Pac-10 stinks up the field, if California gets blown out 50-0 by Tennessee tonight, if even mighty USC loses 4 or 5 games this year, if all the rest of the Pac 10 teams get clobbered in their non conference games and bowl games . . . nobody would be happier about this fact than me.

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Sep 1 2007, 03:12 PM)
Your argument in favor of the Big Ten obviously just got a lot weaker with Michigan's loss to lowly App. St. (CONGRAT'S APP. ST.),

Look, I feel sick on my stomach just from the very idea of trying to argue on behalf of the Pac 10. I hate the Pac 10. I have given you my opinion, and let's just leave it at that. I don't care to argue in favor of a conference that I loathe. Maybe some Pac 10 fan will step up and do the honors. Until then, my opinion stands . . . but nobody would be happier than me if my estimate of the Pac-10 proved to be wrong this year. If the Pac-10 stinks up the field, if California gets blown out 50-0 by Tennessee tonight, if even mighty USC loses 4 or 5 games this year, if all the rest of the Pac 10 teams get clobbered in their non conference games and bowl games . . . nobody would be happier about this fact than me.

My point is that the Big 10 has far more quality teams.

The PAC 10 is loaded with cream puffs. Except for 2 or 3 teams that is.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Sep 1 2007, 02:50 PM)
I imagine I am the only graduate of Appalachian State here. As such, let me just say, hell f***ing yes!

Mountaineers Baby!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/mikemoran/smayosef.jpg

1022.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif
2.gif

AWESOME UPSET. !!!!!!!!!

I imagine I am the only graduate of Appalachian State here. As such, let me just say, hell f***ing yes!

Mountaineers Baby!

1022.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif
2.gif

The sheep need to be nervous tonight. This good 'ole boy is gonna hit some moonshine and cruise the farm laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I hear dueling banjos

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2007, 03:13 PM)
Your argument in favor of the Big Ten obviously just got a lot weaker with Michigan's loss to lowly App. St.  (CONGRAT'S APP. ST.), 

Look, I feel sick on my stomach just from the very idea of trying to argue on behalf of the Pac 10.  I hate the Pac 10.  I have given you my opinion, and let's just leave it at that.  I don't care to argue in favor of a conference that I loathe.  Maybe some Pac 10 fan will step up and do the honors.  Until then, my opinion stands . . . but nobody would be happier than me  if my estimate of the Pac-10 proved to be wrong this year.  If the Pac-10  stinks up the field, if California gets blown out 50-0 by Tennessee tonight, if even mighty USC loses 4 or 5 games this year, if all the rest of the Pac 10 teams get clobbered in their non conference games and bowl games . . .  nobody would be happier about this fact than me.

I am just not getting through to you am I? wink.gif Let us let the season sort this debate out. I have said what I have to say on the subject of Pac-10 versus Big-10, and that is that. I don't care to debate the issue any further at the moment.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2007, 03:16 PM)

Mountaineers Baby!

1022.gif  1022.gif  cool10.gif  1022.gif  cool10.gif  1022.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif
2.gif

The sheep need to be nervous tonight. This good 'ole boy is gonna hit some moonshine and cruise the farm laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I hear dueling banjos

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Sep 1 2007, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2007, 03:13 PM)
Your argument in favor of the Big Ten obviously just got a lot weaker with Michigan's loss to lowly App. St.  (CONGRAT'S APP. ST.), 

Look, I feel sick on my stomach just from the very idea of trying to argue on behalf of the Pac 10.  I hate the Pac 10.  I have given you my opinion, and let's just leave it at that.  I don't care to argue in favor of a conference that I loathe.  Maybe some Pac 10 fan will step up and do the honors.  Until then, my opinion stands . . . but nobody would be happier than me  if my estimate of the Pac-10 proved to be wrong this year.  If the Pac-10  stinks up the field, if California gets blown out 50-0 by Tennessee tonight, if even mighty USC loses 4 or 5 games this year, if all the rest of the Pac 10 teams get clobbered in their non conference games and bowl games . . .  nobody would be happier about this fact than me.

I am just not getting through to you am I? wink.gif Let us let the season sort this debate out. I have said what I have to say on the subject of Pac-10 versus Big-10, and that is that. I don't care to debate the issue any further at the moment.

What is your point? That the PAC 10 is better than the Big10? The PAC 10 is thin. That's all.

Rucker, the TE for Mizzou is a badass. The QB is Chase Daniel from local Carroll High School. Carroll has won three state 5A championships in a row. They are ranked #1 in the nation right now. Carroll#1 plays Northwest Miami#2 on Sept. 15 on ESPN2. I would recommend that you watch it. It will be a sold out 45K plus at SMU's Ford Stadium.

Great article, except ASU is in Boone NC.....

Michigan suffers monumental upset

Wolverines may never recover from defeat to Appalachian State

OPINION

By Steve Silverman

MSNBC contributor

Updated: 5:48 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2007

Steve Silverman

%$%%$ Appalachian State.

From now on the tiny school from Kentucky will be known as %^%$##$@ Appalachian State whenever the subject of the Mountaineers comes up in Ann Arbor.

This team did the near-impossible in walking into Michigan Stadium and coming out with the 34-32 upset of a team that was the Big Ten favorite and one that had national championship aspirations.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20549503/

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Sep 1 2007, 03:19 PM)

Mountaineers Baby!

1022.gif  1022.gif  cool10.gif  1022.gif  cool10.gif  1022.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif  cool10.gif
2.gif

I hear dueling banjos

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif .

Partying with Cowboy tonight! cool10.gif

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/mikemoran/superinbred.jpg

QUOTE (tangdog @ Sep 1 2007, 08:36 PM)
QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Sep 1 2007, 03:19 PM)

Mountaineers Baby!

2.gif

I hear dueling banjos

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif .

Partying with Cowboy tonight! cool10.gif

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/mikemoran/superinbred.jpg

HELL YA!!! laugh.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2007, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Sep 1 2007, 08:14 PM)
Kansas State is getting ripped off.  Sorry GG, but Auburn has some home cooking going on.

Extreme home cooking. Kansas St. is getting ripped off.

13:54 in the 4th quarter. For God's sake, he was in bounds. geesh!!!!!!

Well out of 9006 votes so far..........

Vote: Is Appalachian St. biggest upset ever?

Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.

Your responses are in bold text.

1) Is this the biggest college football upset ever?

75.2% Yes

24.8% No

2) Where does this rank in terms of all upsets across all sports?

64.8% It's near the top

23.9% It tops them all

11.3% It's good but not that good

3) How would a No. 16 seed beating a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament compare to Appalachian State beating Michigan?

47.7% Not as amazing as Appalachian State

29.5% Equally amazing

22.9% It would be more amazing

4) Should Appalachian State be invited to join Division-I next season?

63.6% Yes

36.4% No

5) If Appalachian State was able to receive votes in the AP Top 25 poll, where would you put them in the newest poll?

49.3% Top 25

36.7% Not a Top 25 team

8.6% Top 15

3.4% Top 10

2.0% Top 5

6) How will Michigan fare against its next three opponents? (Oregon, Notre Dame, Penn State)

41.5% Win 2 of 3

31.2% Lose 2 of 3

22.2% Win all 3

5.1% Lose all 3

7) Will Michigan reach a BCS bowl this year?

73.6% No

26.4% Yes

8) Should Michigan coach Lloyd Carr be fired?

53.0% Yes

47.0% No

9) Which of these top teams should be most worried about a possible upset next weekend?

40.4% No. 4 Texas vs. No. 22 TCU

27.5% No. 8 Oklahoma vs. Miami

26.2% No. 2 LSU vs. No. 9 Virginia Tech

5.9% No. 3 West Virginia vs. Marshall

10) Did you know where Appalachian State was located before Saturday?

57.2% No

42.8% Yes

Total Votes: 9,006

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation...g?event_id=3139

App State ascends to legendary status

Caulton Tudor, Staff Writer

"Do you even believe App?"

"No. It's so incredible."

That's what people were saying Saturday afternoon, about two hours before the kickoff between N.C. State and Central Florida at the Wolfpack's Carter-Finley Stadium.

Those conversations weren't taking place just in Raleigh. They were taking place everywhere.

ESPN's commentators couldn't get off the word "unbelievable." Ditto for those from ABC, CBS and NBC. All with good reason.

Appalachian State's 34-32 win at Michigan earlier in the afternoon is a score anyone remotely interested in college football will recall decades from now. Stunning outcomes have that sort of impact, and the Mountaineers' win was simply the most stunning in the history of the sport at the collegiate level.

Count Wolfpack athletics director Lee Fowler among those indelibly impressed.

"Someone said it was like [the movie about high school basketball] 'Hoosiers,' " Fowler said. "But really, it may be more of an upset. It's a score no one can ever forget."

"Hoosiers" was based on a high school basketball state championship run by tiny Indiana school Milan in 1954. Then, on Dec. 24, 1982, NAIA school Chaminade (located in Hawaii) pulled off a 77-72 basketball miracle over No. 1 ranked Virginia and its resident superstar Ralph Sampson.

But 1954 was in what might as well have been a media Ice Age. And Chaminade's win over Virginia occurred so late in the Eastern time zone that its immediate impact was diluted.

What Appalachian State did Saturday in Ann Arbor happened right there in broad daylight for the whole sports world to see. The Mountaineers -- of the NCAA's former Division I-AA level -- not only won, they won in one of the most storied stadiums in the sport and against a Wolverines team that was ranked No. 5 and seen as a strong contender to take the Bowl Championship Series title.

"It is just a wonderful accomplishment for everyone associated with the school," North Carolina AD Dick Baddour said.

The irony is that just a few months ago, Baddour and Fowler were in the process of trying to hire new football coaches.

Carolina was looking for a successor to John Bunting, and State needed someone to take Chuck Amato's job. The Tar Heels settled on former Miami coach Butch Davis and State brought in Tom O'Brien from Boston College. If Appalachian State's Jerry Moore, coming off two straight national championship seasons in Division I-AA, was considered, neither AD would say Saturday.

"I said then, as now, that a wide range of candidates were under consideration, but it wouldn't be fair to talk about the others," Baddour said. "But this is a fantastic win for Coach Moore and Appalachian State fans everywhere."

Fowler said much the same thing.

Be that is it may, Moore and his program on Saturday moved to the head of the class among North Carolina football programs. As the character named "Shooter" said in the movie "Hoosiers," nothing like this has ever happened before. That's a fact that won't go away.

The implications are far ranging, of course.

For starters, Appalachian State's win at Michigan means that the line between what was I-A and I-AA has to be redefined. It shows why coaching makes a lot more difference than program reputation and scholarship limits, but it also says a good deal about financial investment in those coaches. Schools don't have to pay a fortune to find the right fit.

It also says the football pecking order within the state is completely out of whack. Could ECU or an ACC team have gone to Michigan and won this game? Not a chance. Appalachian State rules, and everyone has little choice except to admit as much.

That has to put Duke on the clock. While Appalachian State was rocking the world Saturday, the Blue Devils were running their loss string to 21. For my money, it's not a complicated call -- Ted Roof or Jerry Moore.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/690237.html

It was a pretty sastisfying saturday of football all around for me, with the sole exception of Cal beating Tenn.

As for that game: have to hand it to Cal. They looked really good against Tennessee, with an unstoppable offense. Of course, after only one game, it is hard to say whether Cal's offense really is that good or whether Tenn's defense just sucks this year . . . More games will tell.

I do have some concerns for my South Carolina Gamecocks though. At times, we struggled a lot more than we should have against Louisiana Lafeyette, and gave up WAY too many yards on the ground in ths 28-14 victory. On the road against Georgia next week is going to be a HUGE test.

New polls:

AP Top 25

1. USC (59) 1-0 1,619

2. LSU (5) 1-0 1,542

3. West Virginia (1) 1-0 1,449

4. Florida 1-0 1,346

5. Oklahoma 1-0 1,275

5. Wisconsin 1-0 1,275

7. Texas 1-0 1,221

8. Louisville 1-0 1,152

9. Virginia Tech 1-0 1,085

10. California 1-0 1,080

11. Georgia 1-0 959

12. Ohio State 1-0 940

13. UCLA 1-0 736

14. Penn State 1-0 662

15. Rutgers 1-0 659

16. Nebraska 1-0 541

17. Auburn 1-0 519

18. Arkansas 1-0 450

19. TCU 1-0 384

20. Hawaii 1-0 335

21. Georgia Tech 1-0 278

22. Boise State 1-0 267

23. Texas A&M 1-0 217

24. Tennessee 0-1 210

25. Clemson 1-0 195

Others Receiving Votes

Boston College 126, Missouri 116, Miami (FL) 91, Oregon 90, Alabama 74, Oregon State 41, South Carolina 39, Michigan 39, Brigham Young 27, South Florida 27, Florida State 22, Arizona State 19, Southern Miss 9, Wake Forest 7, Washington 1, Kansas 1.

Dropped From Rankings

Michigan 5, Florida State 19.

The coaches' poll:

USA Today Poll

1. USC (49) 1-0 1,486

2. LSU (4) 1-0 1,417

3. Florida (7) 1-0 1,341

4. West Virginia 1-0 1,275

5. Wisconsin 1-0 1,183

6. Oklahoma 1-0 1,146

7. Texas 1-0 1,136

8. Louisville 1-0 995

9. Virginia Tech 1-0 988

10. California 1-0 985

11. Ohio State 1-0 977

12. Georgia 1-0 796

13. Auburn 1-0 644

14. UCLA 1-0 607

15. Penn State 1-0 585

16. Rutgers 1-0 576

17. Nebraska 1-0 512

18. Arkansas 1-0 455

19. TCU 1-0 351

20. Boise State 1-0 315

21. Georgia Tech 1-0 311

22. Hawaii 1-0 269

23. Texas A&M 1-0 214

24. Tennessee 0-1 162

25. Boston College 1-0 153

Others Receiving Votes

Clemson 145, Michigan 132, Miami (FL) 61, Brigham Young 49, Oregon 41, South Carolina 34, Missouri 29, TEXASTECH 25, Oregon State 24, Alabama 21, South Florida 20, Southern Miss 16, Florida State 14, Kentucky 4, Arizona State 3, Iowa 1, Wake Forest 1, Washington 1.

Dropped From Rankings

Michigan 5, Florida State 21.

Michigan achieves another first by suddenly becoming the ranked team which has suffered the farthest plummet in ranking ever. No team has ever gone from being ranked number 5 or higher to being unranked in the Top 25 in a one-game drop. Until now.

Not indulging in a bit of gloating, are you? wink.gif

Well, if gloating is ever justified at all, it is here. Michigan paid those 400,000 bucks thinking it would be a sure-thing victory in front of 100,000 screaming fans. Got it knocked right back into their throats, they did.

I doubt they will be inviting App St back for another game anytime soon.

Archived