'SLICE OF GRANDMA' cuts into SE Asia

JohnnyBlaze

great pics and great ladies, especially the one wearing the yellow T-shirt. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif So tell me do you do a version of LIMELIGHT??? I hope so. laugh.gif

Awesome thread JB. I love how you add a "little something extra" to the standard vacation pics thread. yes.gif

Not that any of your vacations are standard. laugh.gif

Beautiful pics, great history, lots of laughs. I saw the thread while we were forced into dialup for a week, but couldn't really view it. So today I got to see it all finally. Very nice way to start my day... jealous of YOU and your travelling adventures... AGAIN. laugh.gif

Oh... the death metal band will be getting back together soon... so clear your schedule. After the 2.gif tour, we'll be going back to the recording studio. Don't make me contact the lawyers... AGAIN. angry.gif

QUOTE (different strings @ Jun 10 2007, 05:16 PM)
great pics and great ladies, especially the one wearing the yellow T-shirt. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif So tell me do you do a version of LIMELIGHT??? I hope so. laugh.gif

Yeah she was lovely. Though I can't remember her name for the life of me. Go figure. trink38.gif cool10.gif wacko.gif

"Do we do Limelight?!" There isn't a 2.gif song we can't do. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jun 10 2007, 10:51 PM)
Awesome thread JB. I love how you add a "little something extra" to the standard vacation pics thread. yes.gif

Not that any of your vacations are standard. laugh.gif

Beautiful pics, great history, lots of laughs. I saw the thread while we were forced into dialup for a week, but couldn't really view it. So today I got to see it all finally. Very nice way to start my day... jealous of YOU and your travelling adventures... AGAIN. laugh.gif

Oh... the death metal band will be getting back together soon... so clear your schedule. After the 2.gif tour, we'll be going back to the recording studio. Don't make me contact the lawyers... AGAIN. angry.gif

Thanks. trink39.gif

Some of SLICE OF GRANDMA might be taking a short tour to Tokyo or Nagasaki this summer. If that happens I'll make sure our photographer is signed up once again.

About the death metal band...no problem, I'm there! Rock stars need to play with as many musicians as possible to stay relevant and flexible.

Thanks again all for checking out this thread. I enjoyed showing the pics. smile.gif

it's a little ironic that your initials are S.O.G. and you're touring VietNam. During the war there there was an outfit called the Special Operations Group aka S.O.G.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 11 2007, 11:17 AM)
it's a little ironic that your initials are S.O.G. and you're touring VietNam. During the war there there was an outfit called the Special Operations Group aka S.O.G.

That's us! laugh.gif

I think it's interesting that over there they refer to the war as "The American War". Also, there's a museum there that's called The American War Remnants Museum. But just a few years ago it was called the American War Crimes Museum. They've got some shocking displays that must be seen. I purposely didn't include those pics here.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Jul 4 2008, 03:35 PM)
Nice pictures, JB!  Thanks for sharing.

Holy shit you dug up this old thread ohmy.gif Your welcome trink39.gif

You must be psychic because I was just chatting with a TRFer about this earlier today. Slice of Grandma will be returning to 'Nam next month (this time Hanoi) so you can expect more pics following that trip. We have a change in the vocalist though. Our bassist believes it was because of "artistic differences" laugh.gif . But the core group is there and we'll rock as hard as we know 1022.gif trink38.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 6 2007, 12:28 PM)
The last of the temple pics (although in actuality there are hundreds)...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam191.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam196.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam198.jpg

Our lead singer...all 'templed' out
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam025.jpg

music.gif One of these pics is not like the others . . . music.gif

Tortoise 1287.gif

more pics from Angkor Wat...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam051.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam045.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam044.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam050.jpg

It's outstanding the way this culture preserves what they need someway according to their beliefs, without hurting other people and on simplicity of life.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam049.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam070.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam073.jpg

The beautiful light and shadow of the first picture. These lines guide our view inside the image.

I also appreciate the temple views.

Detailed info about Angkor Wat here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor_Wat

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam067.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/Cambodia/karaokeandnam087.jpg

Many many more pics to come in the next few days. Right now I've got to stop our drummer and lead singer from killing each other. Bye for now trink38.gif

Calm afternoon landscapes. It's all some human need.

• Like 1

Very nice pics! happy pizza lol

thanks rhyv for bringing this thread up!

Heading to Cambodia for two weeks this January. Cannot wait! Phnom Penh is an intensely interesting city.

Really? Sounds great! :cheers:

Phnom Penh has some pretty depressing sites such as S-21 and The Killing Fields but I'd never tell anyone not to go there. I think everyone should go there. It's just that it's hard to prepare some folks for that.

Angkor Wat seemed like something out of a dream.

Oh, and happy pizza places...many of them actually DO have a sign saying "Happy Pizza". I joked with the waitress, "I'd like to be really happy" when ordering my pizza. And the contents were really happy inducing. At another one of those happy pizza restaurants it wasn't as strong. ((If you're into that sort of thing...which I used to be anyway)).

Have a great time vaportrailer!

• Like 2

Fantastic photos and I just love the name of the band; I didn't realize that you were in one. Is it still going? :)

:cheers:

As far as the band goes, go back to the first post on page 1 and read the line right BEFORE it says "10 days, 10 gigs". It'll answer your question.

I'd like to take credit for the band's name but it came from my friend Jimbo, the bassist. The idea for this fantastic four Cambodia/Vietnam adventure came from Jimbo and I...because the year before just he and I had visited Taipei and Saigon for about 7 days. Soooo we thought Saigon again ((since we both liked its grittiness)) + somewhere that's essentially the polar opposite of the modern city that's Taipei ((was an easy choice of Siem Reap & Phnom Penh)) AND let's bring along AngryDaveIrish ((who lives up to his name with the comedy of not actually being angry but totally Irish)) and SteveTheYoung ((who was a 22 year old kid from Chicago fresh out of uni and full of wonder and refreshing naïveté)).

AngryDaveIrish and SteveTheYoung make another appearance in that Passage to Bangkok thread with the tigers which took place two years later.

:blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Fantastic photos and I just love the name of the band; I didn't realize that you were in one. Is it still going? :)

:cheers:

As far as the band goes, go back to the first post on page 1 and read the line right BEFORE it says "10 days, 10 gigs". It'll answer your question.

I'd like to take credit for the band's name but it came from my friend Jimbo, the bassist. The idea for this fantastic four Cambodia/Vietnam adventure came from Jimbo and I...because the year before just he and I had visited Taipei and Saigon for about 7 days. Soooo we thought Saigon again ((since we both liked its grittiness)) + somewhere that's essentially the polar opposite of the modern city that's Taipei ((was an easy choice of Siem Reap & Phnom Penh)) AND let's bring along AngryDaveIrish ((who lives up to his name with the comedy of not actually being angry but totally Irish)) and SteveTheYoung ((who was a 22 year old kid from Chicago fresh out of uni and full of wonder and refreshing naïveté)).

AngryDaveIrish and SteveTheYoung make another appearance in that Passage to Bangkok thread with the tigers which took place two years later.

:blaze:

Yup. Gotcha. :ebert:

Phnom Penh has some pretty depressing sites such as S-21 and The Killing Fields but I'd never tell anyone not to go there. I think everyone should go there. It's just that it's hard to prepare some folks for that.

Very nice photos. Thank you rhyv for bumping the thread :)

I think it's very important that people visit places like S-21 and The Killing Fields (as well as Nazi concentration camps and American internment camps). These are part of our history and they are things that should never be forgotten, but to most people (most Americans, at least, and probably Europeans and Asians as well) these locations and the events that happened there are shrouded in the mists of time and distance. Visiting those places means you learn about the events, and the local/world situations that lead up to them. Having visited Auschwitz, Birkenau, and Dachau and having stood inside a gas chamber where six million innocent people were killed I can tell you it is a sobering, life-changing thing, and you will do whatever you can to make sure that sort of thing never happens again.

• Like 2

Very nice photos. Thank you rhyv for bumping the thread :)

I think it's very important that people visit places like S-21 and The Killing Fields (as well as Nazi concentration camps and American internment camps). These are part of our history and they are things that should never be forgotten, but to most people (most Americans, at least, and probably Europeans and Asians as well) these locations and the events that happened there are shrouded in the mists of time and distance. Visiting those places means you learn about the events, and the local/world situations that lead up to them. Having visited Auschwitz, Birkenau, and Dachau and having stood inside a gas chamber where six million innocent people were killed I can tell you it is a sobering, life-changing thing, and you will do whatever you can to make sure that sort of thing never happens again.

Totally. In Saigon there's the American War Remnants Museum BUT not too long ago it was called The American War Crimes Museum. Stuff in there is as brutal as you can get. I'll refrain from explaining due to its graphic nature and SOCN grounds.

Very nice pics! happy pizza lol

thanks rhyv for bringing this thread up!

Heading to Cambodia for two weeks this January. Cannot wait! Phnom Penh is an intensely interesting city.

Really? Sounds great! :cheers:

Angkor Wat seemed like something out of a dream.

Oh, and happy pizza places...many of them actually DO have a sign saying "Happy Pizza". I joked with the waitress, "I'd like to be really happy" when ordering my pizza. And the contents were really happy inducing. At another one of those happy pizza restaurants it wasn't as strong. ((If you're into that sort of thing...which I used to be anyway)).

Have a great time vaportrailer!

Thanks JohnnyBlaze! Your pics brought back some great memories.

I've been to S-21 twice, and will probably go again. It is beyond horrifying, but an important part of recent Cambodian history, and gives an insight into what the country went through 1975-79. It certainly is not for everyone, and thoroughly depressing - as a genocidal museum should be. There's talk of cleaning it up, as tourists find it too grim, but isn't that the point, in a way?

Outside of its dark history, and dubious present, PP (and Cambodia) has a very young population with a great amount of energy. The vibe in PP, when I was there last, was enough to bring me back this year! fun (and happy) times ahead!

is there a travel thread on the board? that would be fun...

best;

vt

• Like 1