As regards the "Glitches" threads...

Terrapin

Quite frankly, it would appear that there are too many critics and not enough musicians on this board.

Jeez!

Anyway, the "odd sounds" during "Spindrift" at 2:38 and 3:30 are the result of Alex hitting an accidental natural harmonic on the third fret of the low E string whilst fretting a C Power Chord, resulting in a B over C hence, the dissonance.

As regards the kick drum "anomaly" during "We Hold On" in an effort to end the "Punch in" debate, kick drums are NEVER punched in.

Neil hit his kick drum a tad early, thats all.

Sorry children, no conspiracy, no reason for concern.

These are the things that happen when a band records in the same room at the same time.

The 70's and 80's are over people ..... this is what Rush are doing NOW.

Accept or diss, the band WILL move on regardless

A far superior method to record...

Think of it this way: If a band records a song using the studio method instead of this method, and then doesn't ever play that song live, that becomes a song that the band has never played. Then just be the first band to cover that song, and for a time, yours'll be the only band on the planet that's played it! biggrin.gif

I don't think Neil hit his kick drum "a tad early".....it sounds to me like a bad edit (which should have been noticed).

And also, the drums CAN be punched in, of course they can. Do you think drummers play everything in one take?

It's done all the time.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ May 4 2007, 08:55 PM)
Quite frankly, it would appear that there are too many critics and not enough musicians on this board.

Jeez!

Anyway, the "odd sounds" during "Spindrift" at 2:38 and 3:30 are the result of Alex hitting an accidental natural harmonic on the third fret of the low E string whilst fretting a C Power Chord, resulting in a B over C hence, the dissonance.

As regards the kick drum "anomaly" during "We Hold On" in an effort to end the "Punch in" debate, kick drums are NEVER punched in.

Neil hit his kick drum a tad early, thats all.

Sorry children, no conspiracy, no reason for concern.

These are the things that happen when a band records in the same room at the same time.

The 70's and 80's are over people ..... this is what Rush are doing NOW.

Accept or diss, the band WILL move on regardless

I brought up the Spindrift tones, and I don't recall calling it a conspiracy. i just wondered what the hell they were. I never said it was an editing error either.

maybe i missed something, but who said that they recorded it all at once. I would like to read up on that if someone knows. I never read that except about the MalNar Jam.

IF that was a natural harmonic in Spindrift. then why is it so loud?

Surely Big Al is using some decent compressors that could've squashed that......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 5 2007, 04:57 PM)
Surely Big Al is using some decent compressors that could've squashed that......

it is actually in there 3 times, exactly at the same point.seems so wierd that they are intentional. i am still not sure if I like em, or if it's a mistake. at any rate, we have the record, they are there to stay, so i am getting used to them.

QUOTE (NISH2112 @ May 5 2007, 05:59 PM)

it is actually in there 3 times, exactly at the same point.seems so wierd that they are intentional. i am still not sure if I like em, or if it's a mistake. at any rate, we have the record, they are there to stay, so i am getting used to them.

I don't think it's intentional, whatever it may be.....I mean really what's the point of putting something like that in intentionally.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 5 2007, 10:11 PM)
"I don't think Neil hit his kick drum "a tad early".....it sounds to me like a bad edit (which should have been noticed).
And also, the drums CAN be punched in, of course they can. Do you think drummers play everything in one take?
It's done all the time."

Yes indeed, drums CAN be punched in. I wasn't suggesting that they couldn't. However, the term "Bad Edit" is quite ambiguous. Are you suggesting that Neil played at bad kick drum part and then tried to punch in (overdub) a better performance, attempting a fix? If this is the case, then it clearly didn't work. Consequently, cancelling out the desired "fix"

"Should have been noticed" indeed!

Or, perhaps you're suggesting that the whole SONG at this point was being edited? As in cut and paste. Personally, I would find this scenario far more likely than the latter and again, it should have been noticed.

However, I maintain my original theory, in that the band were going for a "Live Feel" as opposed to impeccable individual performances.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ May 6 2007, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 5 2007, 10:11 PM)
"I don't think Neil hit his kick drum "a tad early".....it sounds to me like a bad edit (which should have been noticed).
It's done all the time."

Yes indeed, drums CAN be punched in. I wasn't suggesting that they couldn't. However, the term "Bad Edit" is quite ambiguous. Are you suggesting that Neil played at bad kick drum part and then tried to punch in (overdub) a better performance, attempting a fix? If this is the case, then it clearly didn't work. Consequently, cancelling out the desired "fix"

"Should have been noticed" indeed!

Or, perhaps you're suggesting that the whole SONG at this point was being edited? As in cut and paste. Personally, I would find this scenario far more likely than the latter and again, it should have been noticed.

However, I maintain my original theory, in that the band were going for a "Live Feel" as opposed to impeccable individual performances.

I'm not exactly sure what it is.....however I would be inclined to think that it may have been a screw-up on Neil's part originally.

They probably went back and tried to punch him in, and there was a little delay in there, that they never bothered to fix properly.

At least that's what it sounds like to me.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 5 2007, 10:57 PM)

First of all, compressors do not completely eliminate sounds, nor are they intelligent. They simply "Smooth" out the sound by boosting low gain signals and reducing high gain signals, creating a more even overall sound.

Furthermore, if a compressor WAS being used, it is very possible that it actually BOOSTED the harmonic because it registered it as a low level signal.

Finally, a compressor (unlike a digital guitar tuner or intelligent pitch shifter) cannot ANTICIPATE the intentions of the musician. i.e. eliminating "undesirable" sounds or boosting "desireable" sounds.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ May 6 2007, 11:35 AM)

First of all, compressors do not completely eliminate sounds, nor are they intelligent. They simply "Smooth" out the sound by boosting low gain signals and reducing high gain signals, creating a more even overall sound.

Furthermore, if a compressor WAS being used, it is very possible that it actually BOOSTED the harmonic because it registered it as a low level signal.

Finally, a compressor (unlike a digital guitar tuner or intelligent pitch shifter) cannot ANTICIPATE the intentions of the musician. i.e. eliminating "undesirable" sounds or boosting "desireable" sounds.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but don't most/all studios track guitars with compression, or at least add it after, via software?

QUOTE (NISH2112 @ May 5 2007, 10:59 PM)

NISH 2112,

I have to say you have INCREDIBLY good ears! I, nor anybody else I've played these sound bytes to had noticed until you pointed them out. It still took me a couple of listens to hear it.

Well spotted!

They could have used your ears during the mix/mastering process!

Anyway,for what it's worth, I still believe that they were unintentional.

Honestly, I don't understand all this technical gobbledygook but "Spindrift" sounds perfect to my ears. The atmosphere is great. I was listening to "A Day in the Life" the other day and you can hear someone move a chair or something during the chord fade out. It doesn't ruin the song one bit.

Then again, "ruining the song" may not be the point of this thread. Nevermind.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ May 6 2007, 11:45 AM)

NISH 2112,

I have to say you have INCREDIBLY good ears! I, nor anybody else I've played these sound bytes to had noticed until you pointed them out. It still took me a couple of listens to hear it.

Well spotted!

More than likely here is what happened....

-We know that this happens 3 times in the song at the SAME POINT so......

that probably means that Al played this guitar track once and they pasted it in all the choruses.....therfore giving us this result.

make sense?

But going back and listening to this again several times.....I'm not sure that this isn't intentional. It sounds like 2 Natural Harmonics to me.....

confused13.gif

Spindrift is pretty trippy. I'm rather positive it's intentional.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 6 2007, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (Terrapin @ May 6 2007, 11:45 AM)

NISH 2112,

Well spotted!

More than likely here is what happened....

-We know that this happens 3 times in the song at the SAME POINT so......

that probably means that Al played this guitar track once and they pasted it in all the verses.....therfore giving us this result.

make sense?

Yes, makes perfect sense.

And, your theory could quite possibly account for the kick drum anomaly if they are using the same technique.

In any event, the executive producer should be sacked!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 6 2007, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (Terrapin @ May 6 2007, 11:35 AM)

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but don't most/all studios track guitars with compression, or at least add it after, via software?

Yes, that is a good point. However, as I am not entirely sure of Compression/Limiter point in the chain of recording/mastering, I can't say for sure. But I still (call it an instinct) am sure that it is a stray harmonic.

Archived