DVD Album

vaportrails14

QUOTE (questrider @ Mar 28 2007, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (andrew28 @ Mar 28 2007, 03:00 PM)
If my laptop has a DVD drive, will I be able to import the tracks into iTunes (or similar) and then burn a regular CD (or dump the tunes onto my iPod)?

If not, there's no real point of getting it, since I listen to most of my music in my car or on my iPod.

No, sorta. You would need a program that would open the DVD-V files (.VOB format) and strip the AC-3 audio files from them into mp3s or a compatible format for your iPod. If there are DVD-A files, those are encrypted and cannot be ripped into any format. However, it sounds like the DVD is going to come with digital files for portable players, such as iPods, but what format and sampling rate is still to be determined.

Actually, there's a couple of programs that rip only the audio from DVDs so you don't have to mess with the process of ripping the VOB files anymore. I use DVD Audio Extractor all the time to rip the audio from concert DVDs I purchase. It gives you the option of ripping to wav or mp3 (I always choose wav, of course, so I can save them on CD, then rip mp3s of those wavs.) It's a pretty awesome program. HIGHLY recommended for music fans - I know I don't have a whole lot of time to WATCH DVDs, but I can sure find time to listen.

QUOTE (questrider @ Mar 28 2007, 03:50 PM)
I'm hoping the CD+DVD limited edition that is listed at BestBuy.com is actually going to be a 2-disc CD+DVD combo and not just the DVD-Album as listed on the Rush pre-order site.

I would put good money on that being a mistake on every site - they just don't know how to list it, being a DVD-only album. There's going to be a lot of angry buyers returning these things when they find out what it really is. This is going to be a mess for Warner/Atlantic and unfortunately Rush is going to look bad in the process, and they likely had nothing to do with the decision to press on with this ridiculous format.

just ordered BOTH from Rush.com

DVD will arrive later than cd.

QUOTE (blmnt442 @ Mar 29 2007, 09:03 AM)
Question will the DVD Album format work in regular CD players? For my car has a cd player but it don't play MP3's.

Only if your car plays DVD audio Cd's some cars do like the Acura TL and so on THE SOUND IS AMAZING!!!!

No, it won't.

You need a DVD player to play the DVD.

Link to more info.

Apparently, the tracks for your MP3 player will already be on the DVD because you technically/legally should not be able to rip them to WAV/FLAC/OGG/MP3 or whatever digital audio format you want. I am thinking there will probably be lossy MP3 tracks and slightly better but still lossy iPod/iTunes AAC with DRM tracks already on the DVD.

Or you could just run a cable from your DVD player to your computer and record line in and split the tracks yourself. You could use Audacity or mencoder or some other software to rip the DVD tracks yourself (if you can overcome the deCSS) but that might be a violation of the DMCA and we wouldn't want that, now would we.

I pre-ordered ($15.99) the DVD from Bestbuy, link from earlier post, as a what the hey, I can always sell it on ebay and buy the CD if I hate the DVD format.

Weird thing is the limited edition, what they are calling CD+DVD that I ordered, is $15.99 and the plain CD is $17.99.

Best buy link

QUOTE (blmnt442 @ Mar 29 2007, 09:03 AM)
Question will the DVD Album format work in regular CD players? For my car has a cd player but it don't play MP3's.

Only if your car plays DVD audio Cd's some cars do like the Acura TL and so on THE SOUND IS AMAZING!!!!

DVD Audio are DVD's....not CD's.

No car CD player will play DVD Audio. Period.

Archived