Today is a good day...

LakesideMaiden

Well, I got my tickets for the Mansfield, MA show. Decent seats, roughly where I sat for R30....price was outrageous - considering that to enter the contest you had to buy the tshirt plus the CD or DVD. So I spent roughly $280 on that....

Now for the bad.

ranton.gif On my way into work this morning (before buying my tickets)...my car broke down. Had no idea at the time what was wrong with it. Stalled out, would turn over but not shift into drive or reverse. Was perpetually stuck in Neutral. Great. So I walk the rest of the way to work (having no cell phone since mine was shut off last year due to no payment), get in, and thankfully my awesome boss, Susan, had AAA. So she calls, and we go down to wait by the car. Tow truck comes, brings it to the garage. I got back here just in time to get my tickets....phone call comes in after I get them - it's the garage. Turns out my transmission is shot. Just fargin' great. doh.gif So now, after getting an outrageous quote of $3300, I called Aamco, who gave me a much better deal, but I still don't have the $2600 that it's going to cost to rebuild it. So my parents are bailing me out again. And draining their savings account down to nothing to do it.

The Guilt is strong within me.

K... rantoff.gif

Did the tranny act up prior to this, like you'd put it in gear, then it would take a few seconds to engage? Or did it go from fine to no-go? How's the tranny fluid level? When was the last time you changed it? Does it smell 'burnt?'

If it was sudden, it may be just a broken linkage.

You should definitely ask around before assuming you need a whole new tranny, and even then, how old is your car? Is it worth a new tranny?

Best wishes with the car.

Most important advice : get a friend with a NEW car to drive to the show!!

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Mar 27 2007, 02:57 PM)
Did the tranny act up prior to this, like you'd put it in gear, then it would take a few seconds to engage?  Or did it go from fine to no-go?  How's the tranny fluid level? When was the last time you changed it?  Does it smell 'burnt?'

If it was sudden, it may be just a broken linkage.

You should definitely ask around before assuming you need a whole new tranny, and even then, how old is your car?  Is it worth a new tranny?

Best wishes with the car. 

Most important advice : get a friend with a NEW car to drive to the show!!

it was run on a diagnostics machine in two different garages, who both said that they got internal error messages up the butt when they hooked it up. It wasn't acting up, per say, but two weeks ago the car got stuck in the snow, and to get it unstuck, I had to rock it back and forth (ie. drive to reverse, repeatedly)....I think that was what did it in. My car isn't old. It's a 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T, with about 85K on it. Plus, most Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep's have tranny issues after the first 5 years/80,000 miles. The engines are fine, the body is fine, but the tranny's usually go. My dad's had to have it replaced like 7 of them in my lifetime (in various different cars). I appreciate everyone's advice, but I know I'm pretty much screwed at this point with the car. I should have just let them repo it.... sad.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Mar 27 2007, 02:15 PM)
My car isn't old. It's a 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T, with about 85K on it. Plus, most Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep's have tranny issues after the first 5 years/80,000 miles.

Sorry to hear about the problems. I've had lots of bad luck with American cars. I only buy Japanese now. I like to know that the people who built my car would rather die than build a low quality product. I just don't see that kind of dedication here yet...

Always be wary of transmission chains like Aamco or Lee Myles. They're known for raking people over the coals with transmission repairs. Not saying EVERY location does business like this, but many do. I almost got burnt twice by those franchises. They wanted to charge me over $2000 for a tranny problem that needed only 300-500 hundred dollars worth of work.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 27 2007, 01:52 PM)
Always be wary of transmission chains like Aamco or Lee Myles. They're known for raking people over the coals with transmission repairs. Not saying EVERY location does business like this, but many do. I almost got burnt twice by those franchises. They wanted to charge me over $2000 for a tranny problem that needed only 300-500 hundred dollars worth of work.

Damn! That's a lot! wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Mar 27 2007, 07:55 PM)
LSM I thought you had a Jeep Liberty (new engine issue a few months ago, etc)

Hiya RR smile.gif wrong sister LOL that's RoR - she's sitting next to me backing up what little remains on my compewter (now that most of the info on both drives is gone cause it got fried about 8 mos ago)...she say's hello bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 27 2007, 04:52 PM)

Thanks #73...it was the cheapest place to get my rebuild done, the garage I had it towed to in the first place was going to charge me $3300 for a rebuild that only had a 18 mo/18K mile warr. Aamco is doing a factory rebuild with a 3 yr 36K mi warr for $2500...so, I went with what's cheapest. But I really really really appreciate the luv & concern I'm getting from everyone here. It never ceases to amaze me how much we're all like a family looking out for one another when one of us is in need wub.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Mar 27 2007, 01:31 PM)
price was outrageous - considering that to enter the contest you had to buy the tshirt plus the CD or DVD.  So I spent roughly $280 on that

I hate to break it to you, but you didn't have to buy anything to enter the contest. It's illegal in the US to require people to meet any kind of standard other than age requirements to enter a contest. Had you clicked over to read the contest rules, you'd have found the mail-in address. Here's a copy-paste from the policy page:

How to Enter. No purchase is necessary to enter the Contest. To enter the contest via mail, mail your name, address, daytime telephone number, age and e-mail address (if any) to: Rush Pre-Sale Contest, c/o Musictoday, P O Box 880, Crozet, VA 22932. Any error or omission in the information on the Entry Form will void the entry. Limit one entry per person. If multiple entries are received from any person, only one entry will qualify for the random drawing. By participating, all entrants agree to abide by these Official Rules.

Don't ya just hate it when shit goes down..........?

i just had car troubles as well. i live in florida, so you really want the temperature gauge to stay in the middle, but even after servicing my car, it overheats every time i even drive 5 minutes to the store to get some dang tea. so finance finance finance, i get denied a loan, got tonselitis, and now i'm getting a new car. all this happens in the course of a week. its nucking futs i tell you.

All of a sudden TRF has turned into Click&Clack. tongue.gif

Horrible scenario feel bad for you, sounds like my typical luck.

Anything dealing with a transmission your'e going to get robbed(been there ) Just different degrees of robbery depending where you go.They know your at there mercy firedevil.gif I found local independent transmission shops to be some what more reasonable then the chain ones(Aamco).

But it's understandable in a state of emergency and being stranded,no time or desire to shop around.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 27 2007, 04:52 PM)

indeed, mechanics in general can be very corrupt. i took my car to my dealer a few years ago for an oil change and the mechanic tells me " your head gasket is leaking badly, do you want me to set up an appointment to replace it ?" i asked. how much will it cost me ? he tells me " about 1500 with labor." it was an older car so said, screw it, im not fixing it. lo and behold two years later, no smoke, no oil dripping, no problem at all. sometimes mechanics are the biggest crooks out there. sorry, no offence to any honest hard working mechanics on the board.

Archived