The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 19 2008, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 19 2008, 11:09 AM)
My mother and I have decided to take it to another level, we are doing 45 minutes of cardio everyday now. I hit 500 calories again today by the way. It gets easier each time. I guess I am making progress!

If it's getting "easy" then you need to up the ante. Increase your workout and shoot for 750 calories. tongue.gif

That's great that your stamina/endurance have increased. I think that's great you and your mom are sticking to this! Is she seeing the results she wanted? How about you?

Its certainly not "easy" to do, just not as intense. Not mad frantic 2.gif at the end to burn the 30 calories you were behind. Now I can keep consistent hard effort and pull it off.

So, we did 45 minutes for two days now. I wasn't a fool and didn't go for 750 on the first day, but today I did, and I pulled it off. 761 to be exact and over 4 miles of distance. I was so happy at the end because it took a lot of effort to pull of. The music today was...

Roundabout-Yes (Yessongs)

Cygnus X1-Rush

Hemispheres-Rush

La Villa Strangiato-Rush

The results are coming slowly, but we are both noticing more muscle mass and endurance. She was kinda down about it now because she wants to get back to her goal weight and it isn't happening like she wants. I just told her look at us. We are going consistently, we are increasing our endurance and keep getting stronger and keep progressing. The weight lose will come. And were having fun doing it. I don't think she is totally convinced yet, but she did agree about all my points.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 21 2008, 08:00 AM)
My mother and I have decided to take it to another level, we are doing 45 minutes of cardio everyday now. I hit 500 calories again today by the way. It gets easier each time. I guess I am making progress!

If it's getting "easy" then you need to up the ante. Increase your workout and shoot for 750 calories. tongue.gif

That's great that your stamina/endurance have increased. I think that's great you and your mom are sticking to this! Is she seeing the results she wanted? How about you?

Its certainly not "easy" to do, just not as intense. Not mad frantic 2.gif at the end to burn the 30 calories you were behind. Now I can keep consistent hard effort and pull it off.

So, we did 45 minutes for two days now. I wasn't a fool and didn't go for 750 on the first day, but today I did, and I pulled it off. 761 to be exact and over 4 miles of distance. I was so happy at the end because it took a lot of effort to pull of. The music today was...

Cygnus X1-Rush

Hemispheres-Rush

La Villa Strangiato-Rush

The results are coming slowly, but we are both noticing more muscle mass and endurance. She was kinda down about it now because she wants to get back to her goal weight and it isn't happening like she wants. I just told her look at us. We are going consistently, we are increasing our endurance and keep getting stronger and keep progressing. The weight lose will come. And were having fun doing it. I don't think she is totally convinced yet, but she did agree about all my points.

FANTASTIC about pushing yourself to get to that (well, past) 750 calorie mark! Great job you!

About your mom... one thing to remember is that she's adding muscle which weighs more than fat. So she can essentially be losing fat weight (this sounds so un-pc) but she's adding muscle weight. Once she builds a certain amount of muscle she's going to see the weight come off as her body works with her. Plus, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you'll burn even when not exercising. Does that make sense?

Ok, enough chit-chatting, I have got to get out there and go for my morning run.

Good job again and tell your mom she'll get there. If she keeps exercising and stays with her program (while increasing it slowly) she's going to see the weight come off.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 21 2008, 06:54 AM)
I know I can do this if I can just get my lunchtimes freed up, as they are SUPPOSED to be.  smile.gif  It's the only "free" time I have, so I know it works to use it this way...

Stephen can't ride a bike, bless 'im.  wub.gif  And you're right...I like to get my thoughts in order when I'm running anyway.

I'm not going to give up.  I went back and read through the beginning of this thread, and started remembering how good I used to feel.  I can do it again.

I hope you are able to start running again soon GG! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 21 2008, 09:54 AM)
I know I can do this if I can just get my lunchtimes freed up, as they are SUPPOSED to be. smile.gif It's the only "free" time I have, so I know it works to use it this way...

Stephen can't ride a bike, bless 'im. wub.gif And you're right...I like to get my thoughts in order when I'm running anyway.

I'm not going to give up. I went back and read through the beginning of this thread, and started remembering how good I used to feel. I can do it again.

Hey GG-

God bless ya...I only run if someone is chasing me! ha!

but the real point of my reply...You said Stephen cant ride a bike...neither could my Daniel til he was 10. He had no balance. And in a very unplanned, unexpected way...I was able to help him develop it.

I bought myself an exercise ball...you know the kind you can sit and do crunches on? Well, we inflated it, probably not all the way, and Daniel took a liking to it. So he'd sit on it when watching tv, roll on it..just sort of use it as cushion/chair/pillow...and before you know it he was literally sitting on it like a seal!

I didnt show him how, I just had it sitting in the living room he just started doing it! Maybe you could get one for Stephen. It might be good just for sensory input.

(He's too big now to sit on it, but he still leans on it or lays his body across it and rolls it underneath him)

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 21 2008, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 21 2008, 08:00 AM)

Cygnus X1-Rush

Hemispheres-Rush

La Villa Strangiato-Rush

FANTASTIC about pushing yourself to get to that (well, past) 750 calorie mark! Great job you!

About your mom... one thing to remember is that she's adding muscle which weighs more than fat. So she can essentially be losing fat weight (this sounds so un-pc) but she's adding muscle weight. Once she builds a certain amount of muscle she's going to see the weight come off as her body works with her. Plus, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you'll burn even when not exercising. Does that make sense?

Ok, enough chit-chatting, I have got to get out there and go for my morning run.

Good job again and tell your mom she'll get there. If she keeps exercising and stays with her program (while increasing it slowly) she's going to see the weight come off.

I do tell her just that, she just sometimes gets discouraged because she remembers how she got there much easier when she was younger. Thats why I am here I guess, to help her through it.

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 22 2008, 06:48 PM)
bekloppt.gif All my fellow runners!! biggrin.gif I was going to run yesterday but we had a serious down pour. laugh.gif I was able to get in four miles after work today. I had great energy and felt good all around. trink39.gif

Glad to hear all that! I love it when you feel a lot of energy throughout a run. A lot of times I have to run for a few miles before that "high energy" feeling kicks in. After that I feel like I run smoothly and keep a decent pace.

My running is still going great. It's so funny, every so often people stop me to talk. "I see you out here every day," or " I really admire your dedication." A lot of times I see the same people (walkers or runners) and we've gotten into this friendly waving ritual. I hate it when you come across people in a sour mood who don't wave or smile or anything.

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 24 2008, 04:44 AM)
bekloppt.gif All my fellow runners!! biggrin.gif I was going to run yesterday but we had a serious down pour. laugh.gif I was able to get in four miles after work today. I had great energy and felt good all around. trink39.gif

Glad to hear all that! I love it when you feel a lot of energy throughout a run. A lot of times I have to run for a few miles before that "high energy" feeling kicks in. After that I feel like I run smoothly and keep a decent pace.

My running is still going great. It's so funny, every so often people stop me to talk. "I see you out here every day," or " I really admire your dedication." A lot of times I see the same people (walkers or runners) and we've gotten into this friendly waving ritual. I hate it when you come across people in a sour mood who don't wave or smile or anything.

Yes, usually it takes me at least a mile or so to really feel my energy kick in. I have met some people who are out there on a regular basis running and walking. A few want to talk too long though. I don't like stopping really, and if I do it's only for a minute at the most. tongue.gif No running today, I am off to do some fishing. HAPPY RUNNING!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 24 2008, 07:39 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 24 2008, 04:44 AM)

Yes, usually it takes me at least a mile or so to really feel my energy kick in. I have met some people who are out there on a regular basis running and walking. A few want to talk too long though. I don't like stopping really, and if I do it's only for a minute at the most. tongue.gif No running today, I am off to do some fishing. HAPPY RUNNING!! biggrin.gif

I'm actually taking a day off from running and I don't feel guilty about it. I have so much to do around here today that I need all my energy.

But happy running to anyone else who is going out!

Good luck with the fish today troutman! smile.gif (Do you catch and release or fry 'em up or what?)

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 22 2008, 09:48 PM)

Oh come on dude! Cant run because of a downpour? Man I've played golf in 40 mph winds and have it raining so hard it almost hurts!

There are no reasons not to play...except lightning! laugh.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 24 2008, 09:32 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 22 2008, 09:48 PM)

Oh come on dude! Cant run because of a downpour? Man I've played golf in 40 mph winds and have it raining so hard it almost hurts!

There are no reasons not to play...except lightning! laugh.gif

What, are you Bill Murray on Caddy Shack? laugh.gif Believe me, it wasn't worth my time too run in that sh** tongue.gif I am 48, and rain like that will not get me out to even fish unsure.gif biggrin.gif

Which BTW was awesome today 1022.gif trink39.gif

Running in a downpour would certainly help out resistance! I've never ran in a downpour but have gone in the rain. Living in Seattle, you have to get used to it but it's always a nice, light sprinkling of water. A few days back it started raining towards the end of my run and it felt good to feel the rain. Helped me cool down a bit.

So, didn't run yesterday and feel like a slob this morning. I'm wondering how my run this morning is going to go.

What do you runners do to prevent side aches and shoulder cramps?

I used to run and enjoyed it, but it seems that the more I run, the more I get painful cramps and when they settle into my shoulder, I have to stop and sit down the pain is so bad.

I take potassium, I drink tons of water, and even tried a electrolyte drink to retain water in my system.

I don't have this problem while cycling, skating, or anything else, just running. And I have enjoyed running and it really can be a cheap form of exercise, it is just PAINFUL for me, so I have stopped.

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 25 2008, 05:19 AM)
Running in a downpour would certainly help out resistance! I've never ran in a downpour but have gone in the rain. Living in Seattle, you have to get used to it but it's always a nice, light sprinkling of water. A few days back it started raining towards the end of my run and it felt good to feel the rain. Helped me cool down a bit.

So, didn't run yesterday and feel like a slob this morning. I'm wondering how my run this morning is going to go.

I hate the rain! 1287.gif laugh.gif It is depressing and irritates the heck out of me while running. I will go if it is light but prefer no rain what so ever. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Aug 25 2008, 08:08 AM)

I used to run and enjoyed it, but it seems that the more I run, the more I get painful cramps and when they settle into my shoulder, I have to stop and sit down the pain is so bad.

I take potassium, I drink tons of water, and even tried a electrolyte drink to retain water in my system.
I don't have this problem while cycling, skating, or anything else, just running. And I have enjoyed running and it really can be a cheap form of exercise, it is just PAINFUL for me, so I have stopped.

I don't have this problem and have no idea about the shoulder thing. I am sure Janie will have some good advice for you. wink.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 25 2008, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Aug 25 2008, 08:08 AM)

I don't have this problem and have no idea about the shoulder thing. I am sure Janie will have some good advice for you. wink.gif

I have to admit, I'm curious about the shoulder cramps. My guess is it comes down to simply how you're running. Do you run outdoors? What is the terrain like? Are there a lot of hills you're tackling? Do you feel like you're shoulders are hunched up at all? How are you carrying your arms? (Do you swing them a lot - I've seen some runners who actually swing their arms wayyyyy out to each side.)

Side aches: Do NOT eat anything at least 2 hours (preferably 3 I say) before running. A full tummy cuts down on how much your lungs can expand which means shallow breathing which means your body isn't getting as much oxygen as it needs while running. Plus, if you have a lot of food in your tum, the body is more focused on digesting over running.

It kind of sounds like your're running like you're tensed up (shoulder cramps and side stitches). Overall, I would try to relax as much as possible and do deep breathing if you can.

Back to food, don't eat anything heavy before a run. Keep it light and easy, no protein or dairy if you can help it.

Edited by Janie

An old trainer of mine said the shoulder cramps could be from moving my arms, but over all, no one knew about those.

Keep in mind too, that I usually run at about 4700 feet above sea level. Usually this is through my neighborhood or on a treadmill, both pretty flat.

I'll try the not eating thing as well and just get out there!

I ran yesterday. smile.gif Just a 20 minute jog, nothing strenuous, but I did it.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 26 2008, 07:07 AM)
I ran yesterday. smile.gif Just a 20 minute jog, nothing strenuous, but I did it.

Awesome job!! Yeah! So happy to hear that you found some time to get out and go running. Was this outdoors or at your gym? Did you and your boss figure out a new lunch schedule so you could have some extra time for the gym? I wanted to ask about the possibility of going into work a little earlier than normal or staying late if that would give you a longer lunch break. Think your boss would go for that?

I just bought a new pair of running shoes. I cannot even tell you how geeked out I am right now. I also cannot believe how excited I get over new running shoes. *sigh*

In a few weeks it will be time to start buying new fall running clothes. *yeahyeahyeah*

QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Aug 26 2008, 01:47 PM)
I get paid on Friday, with that I believe I will be buying new running shoes (as my 4 year old ones are now killing my feet) and giving this thing a go once again.

Four years!? Holy, yeah, go and enjoy a new pair of running shoes.

I've settled on Asics. They fit me the best. I cannot wear Nike to save my life. Good running shoes make all the difference. That and good running clothes. There's this guy I see in my neighborhood and he runs in slacks and a polo shirt. I don't know how he does it.

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 26 2008, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 26 2008, 07:07 AM)
I ran yesterday.  smile.gif  Just a 20 minute jog, nothing strenuous, but I did it.

Awesome job!! Yeah! So happy to hear that you found some time to get out and go running. Was this outdoors or at your gym? Did you and your boss figure out a new lunch schedule so you could have some extra time for the gym? I wanted to ask about the possibility of going into work a little earlier than normal or staying late if that would give you a longer lunch break. Think your boss would go for that?

We've had constant rain here thanks to Fay, so I ran on an indoor track.

I ran after work - I figured out a temporary way to do that, but the lunch thing is definitely still pending. I'm salaried and am supposed to be able to come and go as I need to as long as my work gets done - but that isn't the case now. That is supposed to change.

We'll see. smile.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 26 2008, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Aug 26 2008, 01:47 PM)
I get paid on Friday, with that I believe I will be buying new running shoes (as my 4 year old ones are now killing my feet) and giving this thing a go once again.

Four years!? Holy, yeah, go and enjoy a new pair of running shoes.

I've settled on Asics. They fit me the best. I cannot wear Nike to save my life. Good running shoes make all the difference. That and good running clothes. There's this guy I see in my neighborhood and he runs in slacks and a polo shirt. I don't know how he does it.

That's funny, I feel the same way about your choice of shoes. biggrin.gif I used to love Nike but there is no way these days. I don't know what they have changed but they just don't feel good anymore. So I also buy Asics new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I have one pair that I bought around 4 years ago but just cannot bring myself to throw them out just yet. laugh.gif