The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 21 2008, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 21 2008, 04:18 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 20 2008, 08:11 AM)
QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 20 2008, 07:52 AM)
Uggggh......yesterday was awful.  I guess you know you're in for it when you get a side stitch on your WARMUP RUN!!!! confused13.gif banghead.gif  The first 2 miles were great though, I managed to hold them off, but I got a really really bad one on the 3rd mile and slowed down a lot.  Eventually it got the point where my abs and lower back muscles completely froze up because the pain was so bad, so I was able to speed up a little bit at the end, even though I couldn't really breathe.  And it still hurts today.  sad.gif  banghead.gif

Other than that I felt great for my first race in eons.  The course was nice and flat with only a few hills and the weather couldn't have been better:  very cloudy and a bit sticky, but I think it was only in the high 70's.  653.gif

Oooh yikes! It sounds like you tried to run through the pain and I'm always amazed and impressed to hear those stories because it is really, really hard to work through pain. So good job you!!!

I know your sides are still hurting but how do your legs feel?

I'm kind of nervous about my race later this morning. It's another trail run but I just looked at the map and it's, "hilly" and "challenging." I feel like I don't have it in me. We'll see.

UPDATE: My race yesterday was GREAT! I felt fantastic. They weren't kidding though about it being a challenge. It was a mile and a half uphill on loose dirt and big, chunky rocks and tree roots BUT then it was a mile and half downhill. Thing was, I could only jog uphill and coming down I tried to run as fast as I could but it was tough on that ground. I booked it coming through the finish but still, that 1 1/2 mile incline killed my time.

The funnest part... it was a naked race. AHHH! Fun as heck though. I'm so doing this race again.

Great job!! sounds like it was really challenging. Naked.. as in Naked?? unsure.gif laugh.gif

Yep. As in, in the nuuuuuuude.

Here's their t shirt. (A concept I thought was funny. The nudist colony giving away shirts!?)

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u191/MissElainius/Picture706.jpg

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 21 2008, 10:39 AM)
No WAY I'd run a race like that.

blush4.gif

Five girlfriends... I had FIVE girlfriends who said they would run the race with me and lo and behold, each backed out, one by one.

It was a lot of fun. It really was. Everyone from all ages and walks of life were there. And the whole thing left me with a lot of stories. My favorite so far:

"Hey, *tap tap* good luck in the race." Keep your penis to yourself sir. Thank you.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 21 2008, 11:56 AM)

blush4.gif

Five girlfriends... I had FIVE girlfriends who said they would run the race with me and lo and behold, each backed out, one by one.

It was a lot of fun. It really was. Everyone from all ages and walks of life were there. And the whole thing left me with a lot of stories. My favorite so far:

"Hey, *tap tap* good luck in the race." Keep your penis to yourself sir. Thank you.

your crazy laugh.gif biggrin.gif uh... pictures please!! 1022.gif

just kidding tongue.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 21 2008, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 20 2008, 08:11 AM)
QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 20 2008, 07:52 AM)
Uggggh......yesterday was awful.  I guess you know you're in for it when you get a side stitch on your WARMUP RUN!!!! confused13.gif banghead.gif  The first 2 miles were great though, I managed to hold them off, but I got a really really bad one on the 3rd mile and slowed down a lot.  Eventually it got the point where my abs and lower back muscles completely froze up because the pain was so bad, so I was able to speed up a little bit at the end, even though I couldn't really breathe.  And it still hurts today.  sad.gif  banghead.gif

Other than that I felt great for my first race in eons.  The course was nice and flat with only a few hills and the weather couldn't have been better:  very cloudy and a bit sticky, but I think it was only in the high 70's.  653.gif

Oooh yikes! It sounds like you tried to run through the pain and I'm always amazed and impressed to hear those stories because it is really, really hard to work through pain. So good job you!!!

I know your sides are still hurting but how do your legs feel?

I'm kind of nervous about my race later this morning. It's another trail run but I just looked at the map and it's, "hilly" and "challenging." I feel like I don't have it in me. We'll see.

UPDATE: My race yesterday was GREAT! I felt fantastic. They weren't kidding though about it being a challenge. It was a mile and a half uphill on loose dirt and big, chunky rocks and tree roots BUT then it was a mile and half downhill. Thing was, I could only jog uphill and coming down I tried to run as fast as I could but it was tough on that ground. I booked it coming through the finish but still, that 1 1/2 mile incline killed my time.

The funnest part... it was a naked race. AHHH! Fun as heck though. I'm so doing this race again.

Naked??? ohmy.gif

I don't think I'm quite old enough to do that. ph34r.gif bolt.gif laugh.gif

Glad to hear your race went well Janie! trink39.gif My legs usually are not very sore after running, even after races or intervals, as long as I do my cool-down run and stretch and stuff. My calves were a little sore and stiff but not bad at all. smile.gif I ran today and I could feel it in my side from Saturday, but luckily it held off. I think I might try doing some core muscles exercises and see if it helps at all.

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 21 2008, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 21 2008, 11:56 AM)

blush4.gif

your crazy laugh.gif biggrin.gif uh... pictures please!! 1022.gif

just kidding tongue.gif

The nudist colony (people who put on the race) have a, "No Camera, No Video Equipment" policy but I snuck some pictures in anyway. I have one of me holding the running pamphlet in one hand covering one girl and a peace sign covering the other. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 21 2008, 08:00 PM)

Naked??? ohmy.gif

I don't think I'm quite old enough to do that. ph34r.gif bolt.gif laugh.gif

Hey there were little kids in the race too. All ages were there and like I said earlier, you saw all kinds of people. It was kind of cool actually. Get this, one kid was making a statement by wearing a head-to-toe sweat outfit (sweatpants, hooded sweatshirt). So funny, ridiculous. Anyway, so age is no excuse! You can run a naked race if you wanted too. If there was one around.

Glad to hear your race went well Janie!  trink39.gif  My legs usually are not very sore after running, even after races or intervals, as long as I do my cool-down run and stretch and stuff.  My calves were a little sore and stiff but not bad at all.  smile.gif  I ran today and I could feel it in my side from Saturday, but luckily it held off.  I think I might try doing some core muscles exercises and see if it helps at all.

I felt ok the day after the race, a little tender but nothing that prevented me from running yesterday morning although I only ran 6 1/2 miles. But this morning, I am really, terribly sore. There's no way I can run I think and I'm so disappointed. Ugh. I didn't do a cool-down run after the race and I didn't stretch but I never stretch anyway. I'm horrible at that. I know I should stretch but I just don't.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 19 2008, 10:16 AM)
On purpose? How steep were the inclines? I hate running hills because I can never keep good form. I know you're supposed to stay as horizontal to the plain as possible but I always, always lean forward going uphill and lean back running downhill. Plus, my shins feel a little sore while running downhill and then it seems like I never run right for a while after a hill.

Forgot to reply to this! I do want to figure out the actual grade, which you can do by dividing the vertical climb by the horizontal distance. All I know now is that this one is steep enough to give you that "omg gonna die" feeling as you get closer to the top. It's short, though. I did that one two-and-a-half times. There's another hill in my neighborhood that's very steep and a half-mile long (I checked on Google Maps). I run that one when I'm in better shape.

I'm weird, I guess, because I really like running hills. It makes me feel like a million dollars when I reach the top, plus it builds leg muscle like nothing else. I noticed that after my hill run on Saturday, my Monday run was a breeze (I took Sunday off).

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 22 2008, 08:23 AM)

I felt ok the day after the race, a little tender but nothing that prevented me from running yesterday morning although I only ran 6 1/2 miles. But this morning, I am really, terribly sore. There's no way I can run I think and I'm so disappointed. Ugh. I didn't do a cool-down run after the race and I didn't stretch but I never stretch anyway. I'm horrible at that. I know I should stretch but I just don't.

If you're really really sore , I've been told the best thing you can do is go for a shorter, very easy run just to keep your legs loose. It's definitely also a good idea to some gentle stretching before and after. (More wisdom from my cross-country coach wink.gif biggrin.gif ) Usually if I ever get extremely sore I'll take an ice bath after running but that's not for the faint of heart. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 22 2008, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 22 2008, 08:23 AM)

If you're really really sore , I've been told the best thing you can do is go for a shorter, very easy run just to keep your legs loose. It's definitely also a good idea to some gentle stretching before and after. (More wisdom from my cross-country coach wink.gif biggrin.gif ) Usually if I ever get extremely sore I'll take an ice bath after running but that's not for the faint of heart. laugh.gif

I took the day off yesterday and my legs feel pretty good this morning. So I'm glad for that BUT in the future, I'll definitely do the shorter, easy run to keep my legs loose. I have this thing... I like to run everyday and feel horrible if I don't get out there and run.

Think I'll pass on the ice bath!

I have another race tomorrow and then only one in August (on the 3rd). They're both only 5ks and I'm starting to get a ton of flak from my friends for running 5ks. I know I should be running 10ks but there aren't many around. Besides I want to move one once I reach a certain time/goal. Then I'll start running longer races.

Bummer situation about all my upcoming races though... they all require clothes! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 25 2008, 10:44 AM)
I have another race tomorrow and then only one in August (on the 3rd). They're both only 5ks and I'm starting to get a ton of flak from my friends for running 5ks. I know I should be running 10ks but there aren't many around. Besides I want to move one once I reach a certain time/goal. Then I'll start running longer races.

Bummer situation about all my upcoming races though... they all require clothes!  tongue.gif

I was gonna ask that. Is this another nude race? unsure.gif laugh.gif Good luck tomorrow biggrin.gif

BTW... don't let your friends give you such a hard time. Any distance you run is good for you. smile.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 25 2008, 12:48 PM)

Bummer situation about all my upcoming races though... they all require clothes!  tongue.gif

I was gonna ask that. Is this another nude race? unsure.gif laugh.gif Good luck tomorrow biggrin.gif

Thanks for the good luck wishes! smile.gif The race is going to be part of a parade (race first, parade second) and the parade is a pirate-themed one. I'm contemplating wearing some sort of pirate gear. I'm heading to the costume store tonight to see if I can find anything interesting. Should make it more fun, especially for the spectators.

I think I have to wait a whole nother year before I can participate in the naked race again! Although Nudestock is next month... tongue.gif

Are you allowed running shoes in said race, or do the rules state that you must race just as you did when you came into this world?

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 25 2008, 12:12 PM)

Thanks for the good luck wishes! smile.gif The race is going to be part of a parade (race first, parade second) and the parade is a pirate-themed one. I'm contemplating wearing some sort of pirate gear. I'm heading to the costume store tonight to see if I can find anything interesting. Should make it more fun, especially for the spectators.

I think I have to wait a whole nother year before I can participate in the naked race again! Although Nudestock is next month... tongue.gif

laugh.gif your crazy biggrin.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 25 2008, 01:17 PM)

Are you allowed running shoes in said race, or do the rules state that you must race just as you did when you came into this world?

Everybody at least wore running shoes! OMG, I couldn't even imagine attempting that course without shoes. There was this one woman in head-to-toe running gear. Why participate in a nude race? There are a whole mess of races in the area right now. Perv. Most everyone was naked. A handful of women wore sports bras with good reason. A few wore them and didn't honestly need to. There was this one amazingly beautiful woman who wore a sports bra. Why, why, why!? tongue.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 25 2008, 01:23 PM)

With a love of being naked I guess...

tongue.gif

I have no issues with nudity.

Seriously, I cannot stress how much fun that was.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 25 2008, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 25 2008, 01:23 PM)

With a love of being naked I guess...

tongue.gif

I have no issues with nudity.

Seriously, I cannot stress how much fun that was.

Obviously!! laugh.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 28 2008, 04:01 PM)
Runners?

Hello?

Check-in?

bekloppt.gif I was wondering why you didn't post about your race this past weekend. Anyway, I am just leaving work and will go for my normal 3-4 mile run biggrin.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 28 2008, 05:13 PM)
Runners?

Hello?

Check-in?

bekloppt.gif I was wondering why you didn't post about your race this past weekend. Anyway, I am just leaving work and will go for my normal 3-4 mile run biggrin.gif trink39.gif

I didn't run the race. I posted about this I think in the What Pissed You Off Today thread. I just wasn't feeling it. I was not in the mood to go running. I didn't run in the morning because at the time I thought I was going to run my race which didn't start until 6:30pm but then later on I felt I didn't have it in me to race. Meh.

I was planning on running a race this Sunday too but can't because of prior commitments. My next race isn't until Sept. 1st. Then I have one on the 7th and then the 28th. That will probably be it for the year.

On a side note: I picked up my award plaque last week for the naked race. Still have to hang it up. laugh.gif

Runners?

Hello?

Check-in?

Hit the treadmill today, as usual. Threw in a couple of intervals at a 3% grade to make it interesting. I was going to keep it to three minutes each, but the second interval ended up being ten minutes. I just hate stopping things after I've started them. laugh.gif

Tomorrow I think I'll have to run during my lunch hour, since I have to take my car in for an oil change early tomorrow morning. Hope I don't have any stomach upsets. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 28 2008, 07:01 PM)
Runners?

Hello?

Check-in?

bekloppt.gif Janie!

I'm happy to say I dominated my run last night......a little over 4 miles (a very very hilly 4 miles sad.gif ) at about a 8:30 mile pace. I'm still not in great shape yet but there's nothing quite like that feeling you get after a good run. trink39.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 28 2008, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 28 2008, 05:13 PM)
Runners?

Hello?

Check-in?

I didn't run the race. I posted about this I think in the What Pissed You Off Today thread. I just wasn't feeling it. I was not in the mood to go running. I didn't run in the morning because at the time I thought I was going to run my race which didn't start until 6:30pm but then later on I felt I didn't have it in me to race. Meh.

I was planning on running a race this Sunday too but can't because of prior commitments. My next race isn't until Sept. 1st. Then I have one on the 7th and then the 28th. That will probably be it for the year.

On a side note: I picked up my award plaque last week for the naked race. Still have to hang it up. laugh.gif

That's too bad about your race. I am the same way, if I am not feeling it I won't run either tongue.gif Picture of the plaque please biggrin.gif And what does it say unsure.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jul 28 2008, 04:43 PM)
Runners?

Hello?

Check-in?

Hit the treadmill today, as usual. Threw in a couple of intervals at a 3% grade to make it interesting. I was going to keep it to three minutes each, but the second interval ended up being ten minutes. I just hate stopping things after I've started them. laugh.gif

Tomorrow I think I'll have to run during my lunch hour, since I have to take my car in for an oil change early tomorrow morning. Hope I don't have any stomach upsets. unsure.gif

Well whatever you do, run before you eat lunch or else you will feel really bad tongue.gif

I just ran a half mile. I can usually get 2 miles before my heart beats too fast but today was weird. I got light headed. Oh well. I'll get my walking in on the golf course! 653.gif

Im gonna get back into running again. I used to be at 3 miles a run.