Who was a bigger influence on Metal Music

Rushman14

We were having this debate at my work and now I've seen it pop up on the boards. I say Judas Priest had a bigger influence on metal than Iron Maiden. Priest were one of the true innovaters of the genre, along with Sabbath of course. 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushman14 @ Mar 16 2007, 01:56 PM)
We were having this debate at my work and now I've seen it pop up on the boards. I say Judas Priest had a bigger influence on metal than Iron Maiden. Priest were one of the true innovaters of the genre, along with Sabbath of course. 1022.gif

While your statement may indeed be true, i prefer maiden. judas priest rocks though ! 1022.gif

JP was more influential...yes. Maiden was more melodic, fuller, more intricately arranged, and challenging songwriting though. JP is a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon and Maiden is a full-bodied German ale in a finely etched stein. THAT is the difference. Both are beer...and that's awesome....but discriminating drinkers know which is which. tongue.gif

trink39.gif

I think it has to Priest for two reasons, firstly they came along just after the likes of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Deep Purple etc, first album in 1974, so they were right in the forefront of heavy rock music. There was no "metal" in the 70s which brings me to the second point, I think metal or heavy metal was literally named after Judas Priest's British Steel album from 1980, that and the fact that they took to wearing metal "accessories" around that time. So Judas Priest really are the true pioneers of metal, they came just after Sabbath and from the same area and took up the baton and ran with it that little bit further.

Maiden are more of a follower of Sabbath and Priest who went on to find their own path...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 16 2007, 02:47 PM)
I think it has to Priest for two reasons, firstly they came along just after the likes of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Deep Purple etc, first album in 1974, so they were right in the forefront of heavy rock music. There was no "metal" in the 70s which brings me to the second point, I think metal or heavy metal was literally named after Judas Priest's British Steel album from 1980, that and the fact that they took to wearing metal "accessories" around that time. So Judas Priest really are the true pioneers of metal, they came just after Sabbath and from the same area and took up the baton and ran with it that little bit further.

Maiden are more of a follower of Sabbath and Priest who went on to find their own path...

Maiden was actually more THIN LIZZY, Deep Purple, and UFO inspired than anyone else.

QUOTE (the invisible man @ Mar 16 2007, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Mar 16 2007, 02:39 PM)
Maidens the better band by far.

Agreed, but that was not the question, grasshopper.

LOL sorry..couldnt help it.

I'm not really sure to be honest. I think if you ask any metal fan, or most metal bands (even the older ones)..they will tell you they are huge fans of Maiden.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 16 2007, 03:01 PM)

Maiden was actually more THIN LIZZY, Deep Purple, and UFO inspired than anyone else.

When I say followers, I mean they came after. Six years after, and six years was a very long time in those early days of hard rock music...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 16 2007, 03:08 PM)

When I say followers, I mean they came after. Six years after, and six years was a very long time in those early days of hard rock music...

Well everything comes from Sabbath. wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 16 2007, 03:24 PM)

I'm not talking as a Priest fanatic Presto, I like both bands. I'm impartial here. In terms of influence Priest are above Maiden. it's not about who's the better band.

Sabbath probably were the unwitting creators of metal, but they're not a metal band really. No one ever called Black Sabbath metal during the Ozzy years, they were described as heavy rock or just "heavy". The term "metal" or heavy metal didn't emerge till about 1980 and people then began to describe albums and bands from before that date as metal.

QUOTE (Nickslikk2112 @ Mar 16 2007, 03:22 PM)
Priest, Because they influenced Maiden

See, but I dont agree with that. I dont hear any of Priests sound in any of Maidens music. Maybe their Debut, and Killers, but it stops there. Thats when we see Diano leave (he was sort of into punk as well).

The rest of Maidens category is brilliant, and I hear their music in many bands today.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Mar 16 2007, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (Nickslikk2112 @ Mar 16 2007, 03:22 PM)
Priest, Because they influenced Maiden

See, but I dont agree with that. I dont hear any of Priests sound in any of Maidens music. Maybe their Debut, and Killers, but it stops there. Thats when we see Diano leave (he was sort of into punk as well).

The rest of Maidens category is brilliant, and I hear their music in many bands today.

yeah I agree, i think Maiden sprang from that late 70's punk thing that was happening in the UK. Priest is more unadulterated metal. "Down on your knees and repent if you please!" 1022.gif

I'm no metal-historian but it seems to me that Priest's influence was that they de-sexed the blues and createsd a very mechanical forceful form of rock. Before them, heavy rock wore either (or) its blues influences very much on its sleeve (the Zep, Deep Purple, Rainbow et al) or its classical influence.

I might be wrong but the Priest brought the stripped down style to heavy rock, which caused all number of horrible albums to be made in the 80s!

Disco

Both.

Priest influenced more mainstream glam metal, which lasted through the nineties than died with grunge's popularity.

Maiden influenced extreme metal (power mainly) which still lives strong in europe and underground today.

Maiden was better hands down in my opinion.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 16 2007, 01:24 PM)

goodpost.gif Sabbath and Zepplin. They began it all.

Archived