Discipline

edmondy

I can already see that I am going to have a lot of trouble with this one! My daughter is going to be 2 years old in a couple of months and I do NOT want to be one of those parents that never disiplines their child. Who knew it would be THIS hard!! sad.gif

I do not want to raise a bad child! And it seems that Sarah(daughter's name) gets her feelings hurt real easy. I can slap her hand slightly and say "NO" and she BURST into BIG tears! Oh Boy. This is going to be a learning experience for me!

So Hard!!

Awe 2 yrs old is the time they start testing yah .....be Patient it hurts you more than her .....as she gets older a time out spot will be required & they do pretty good with it once you prove to her that she will do a time out when bad. But i think it's a bit early for that . But really she is just a baby still so many things to learn You will do fine !! Never worry about raising a bad child after all they don't come with a hand book wink.gif Good Luck wink.gif

good luck to you!! just remember when they do things you don't want them to but are funny as hell...don't let them see you laugh!! couldn't get my daughter to stop saying "dickhead" for weeks after we laughed the first time she said it. biggrin.gif

stay strong (especially against those puppy dog eyes and big tears) and stay consistent with your discipline and you'll be alright. wink.gif

Spankings don't hurt physically as many would think. The real punishment is knowing your parents are upset with you.

QUOTE (failte @ Feb 19 2007, 11:41 AM)
good luck to you!! just remember when they do things you don't want them to but are funny as hell...don't let them see you laugh!! couldn't get my daughter to stop saying "dickhead" for weeks after we laughed the first time she said it. biggrin.gif

stay strong (especially against those puppy dog eyes and big tears) and stay consistent with your discipline and you'll be alright. wink.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif oops.gif

QUOTE (jrdrummer @ Feb 19 2007, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (failte @ Feb 19 2007, 11:41 AM)
good luck to you!!  just remember when they do things you don't want them to but are funny as hell...don't let them see you laugh!!  couldn't get my daughter to stop saying "dickhead" for weeks after we laughed the first time she said it.  biggrin.gif

stay strong (especially against those puppy dog eyes and big tears) and stay consistent with your discipline and you'll be alright.  wink.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif oops.gif

yeah, we had to draw the line when she started saying it in church!!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 19 2007, 01:59 PM)
Spankings don't hurt physically as many would think. The real punishment is knowing your parents are upset with you.
You were never spanked by my mother. no.gif You wouldn't be saying those words if you were. laugh.gif

Her spankings were meant to hurt, and boy oh boy did they. Nothing like a huge, old fashioned, thick leather belt accross the ass 6 or 7 times to get the blood flowing. I believe my mom's method of physical punishment was a little extreme to say the least. In her defense though, she rarely ever spanked me. Spanking was her "last resort". I can actually count the number of spankings I recieved during my childhood on one hand. I listened to my mother quite well, and for the most part I was always respectful towards her. As a person once said to me "It's a new day Jimmy Buffett". I know Edmondy isn't talking about those kinds of spankings.

I know it's already been said but the most crucial thing is to be consistent. Also, never let her forget you are the boss, and your word is law. I see this with many kids everywhre I go. The child tells the parent what it is going to do etc... All becuase the parent doesn't want to upset the child, the child is allowed to get away with anything it wants. All of a sudden it seems that the majority feels that their child's feeling are more important than what is actually good for them. I'm not saying that anyone here is guilty of this, I'm just generalizing what I see when I go out into public.

Speaking as a parent. I never use physical means as a way of punishing my children. I am very strict, but very fair. I refuse to give in to their requests. They don't have the capacity to make proper life decisions (that's what my job is for). My wife stands behind my 100%, which is probably why we don't have too much trouble with the kids. Show em love and be stern.

Some good words of advice there edmondy but yeah, parenting never comes with a rule book but I agree, you must be consistent and never let them get the better of you. I do not see that there is anything wrong with a small amount of physical discipline, however, only when it is really needed and only so that the child grows up to learn to have some healthy respect for their Parents. It is never easy, but as one who has lived with very young children and later teenagers, will tell you always be there to listen, understand and show love and encouragement - the rest will be their own doing my friend. trink39.gif

The only hard and fast rule I would suggest is never make a threat you won't carry out.

I know we have a tendancy to say things like "If you do that again, I'll burn your Harry Potter books", but they know we won't.

However, if you threaten to take the book (s)he is reading away for a week, and then do it, you establish you're serious.

I once threatened to take my son's playstation for two weeks, and did. Fourteen days (not 13, no parole) later, he got it back.

Now, he knows I'm serious when I threaten to do it again. I've never had to do it since!!.

QUOTE (edmondy @ Feb 19 2007, 11:43 AM)
I can already see that I am going to have a lot of trouble with this one! My daughter is going to be 2 years old in a couple of months and I do NOT want to be one of those parents that never disiplines their child. Who knew it would be THIS hard!! sad.gif

I do not want to raise a bad child! And it seems that Sarah(daughter's name) gets her feelings hurt real easy. I can slap her hand slightly and say "NO" and she BURST into BIG tears! Oh Boy. This is going to be a learning experience for me!

So Hard!!

Discipline children is always hard. Mine 4 know it so they play the boo-hoo card all the time.

Hold tight to the rules you lay down. Kids are good at giving us those looks that break our hearts. Better to have a few of those than something bad happen down the road later because they didn't learn from a mistake.

Hang in there! You'll do great follow you gut, not your heart! smile.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Feb 20 2007, 01:31 AM)
The only hard and fast rule I would suggest is never make a threat you won't carry out.

I know we have a tendancy to say things like "If you do that again, I'll burn your Harry Potter books", but they know we won't.

However, if you threaten to take the book (s)he is reading away for a week, and then do it, you establish you're serious.

I once threatened to take my son's playstation for two weeks, and did. Fourteen days (not 13, no parole) later, he got it back.

Now, he knows I'm serious when I threaten to do it again. I've never had to do it since!!.

We did the same thing with our 9 year old's GameCube. Gotta get them where it REALLY hurts.

smile.gif

One thing I think is important is follow through. My father used to love to threaten punishment if me or my brother or sister didn't do or not do something or other, but he would rarely follow through with it. It got to the point where we didn't believe him or take him very seriously when he was upset. That's something I think is important, to follow through when you threaten a consequence. Don't make the threat if you aren't fully prepared to follow through with it.

Also, there are alternatives to hitting if it makes you uncomfortable. Time outs or removing priveleges can work like a charm.

Archived