Alex Lifeson - Guitars

Neil Peart - Drums/Percussion

Additional Musicians:

Hugh Syme - Keyboards (Tears)

Produced by Rush and Terry Brown

Engineered by Terry Brown

Mercury/Polygram, April 1976

Trivia:

Certified Gold by RIAA: November 16, 1977 - Certified Platinum: February 25, 1981 - Certified 2x Platinum: December 1, 1993 - Certified 3x Platinum: November 17, 1995 - Highest Billboard Chart Position: 61

"The quickest ever was 'The Twilight Zone' from our '2112' album. That was written and recorded in one day." - Neil Peart, "Stories From Signals", Signals Tourbook

"Polygram had written us off before '2112' had come - we'd seen their financial predictions and we weren't even on it!" - Neil Peart, Classic Rock, Oct. 2004

"All those paeans to American restlessness and the American road carried a tinge of wistfulness, an acknowledgment of the hardships of the vagrant life, the notion that wanderlust could be involuntary, exile as much as freedom, and indeed, the understanding that freedom wasn't free. In the mid-'70s, the band was driving to a show in downtown Los Angeles, at the Shrine Auditorium, and I noticed some graffiti splattered across a wall: 'Freedom isn't free,' and I adapted that for a song on 2112, 'Something for Nothing.'" - Neil Peart, Traveling Music

"The prog-rock experiments of the band Rush are among works that should be preserved for future generations, says a committee tasked with saving the best in Canadian television, radio, film and music. The band's 1976 album 2112, a unique blend of classic rock and synthesizers that made Rush a sensation both in Canada and the United States, is one of 12 cultural pieces named Thursday as MasterWorks by the Audio-Visual Preservation Trust. The public-sector group promotes the protection of classic Canadian works and selects a dozen every year for preservation, offering funds for those in danger of being lost...'The safeguarding of these selections is so important to the foundation of Canadian culture.' added president David Novek..." - Jam Showbiz, Oct. 19, 2006

"I would definitely fear the realization that the best record we made was 10 or 20 years ago. That would be hard to live with." - Neil Peart, TheStar.com, Oct. 21, 2006

"To me, it's raw and immature and all that it should be - it's 30 years ago...A lot of our early stuff does (make me cringe) but on the other hand, I know that it's genuine." - Neil Peart, Jam!Music, Oct. 22, 2006

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 5 2007, 11:03 PM)
Bootleg giveaway?

Indeed. biggrin.gif He's doing each album, and I won the first round! biggrin.gif

All you have to do is write a review and you'll be entered into a random draw. It has to be thought out, though. "2112 rules, it's Rush's first classic," isn't good enough, but as long as you put some effort into it and write a paragraph or two about why you like or dislike the album, you're entered into a draw and could win a bootleg.

So compete, dammit!!! tongue.gif

Well I mean were talking about 2112 here...

While this is not my favorite album, it is right up there, and always will be.

Some people speak of 2112 as the bands' marquee album, which of course is easy to identify to Rush fans simply because we all know the numbers, but for people who are "surface" Rush fans, they may not even know about 2112.

2112 is great from start to finish. Clearly the song is well thought out, and as story books songs go, it's the best. IMO

I personally LOVE Bangkok...short...fast...loud!

Twilight Zone...I really used to dig this song, and it's obvious parts is the voice you hear in parts of the song...as a youngster, I kinda thought my tape was broken or something.

Lessons and Tears - I like these songs, and I really enjoy Tears...may be a bit loose or something, but if I really want to hear some slower stuff, this is great!

Something for Nothing - YES YES YES!!!! Who hasn't turned this up to 99 and stood in the living room screaming?

2112 is great...and we all know the numbers, and the songs...I have to say that if they had just skipped out on that album, I'm not entirely sure we'd all be here, so to speak...there is not a point in my day where the red star is not somewhere on my body...chain, shirt etc etc...

2112 is a good album certainly, but I honestly think it is somewhat overrated. The title track is a classic of course, some amazing music and lyrics, but as far as their 20 minute epics go, both The Fountain and Hemispheres I prefer. That said, Soliloquy has some of Geddy's best singing ever.

My favorite track on the album is The Twilight Zone. Neat, quirky little tune. I wish they'd bring it out on tour. They've only played it twice, and both of the boots are shitty quality.

Passage to Bangkok and Something for Nothing are great as well, but Lessons and Tears are really lackluster. Geddy would later redeem himself by writing Cinderella Man and Different Strings, but from Lessons, it's quite obvious why Alex has never written another song for Rush (although I really like a lot of Victor).

Overall, I'd give this album a 3 or 3.5/5. I understand that it's one of Rush's most important albums career-wise, but musically, all of their 77-89 work is superior.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 6 2007, 07:16 PM)
2112 is a good album certainly, but I honestly think it is somewhat overrated.

Overall, I'd give this album a 3 or 3.5/5. I understand that it's one of Rush's most important albums career-wise, but musically, all of their 77-89 work is superior.

FULLY agree with this (edited) part. (I happen to love Tears, for example...but I agree with your overall summary whole-heartedly)

QUOTE (yetz @ Feb 5 2007, 07:06 PM)
Trivia:
Certified Gold by RIAA: November 16, 1977 - Certified Platinum: February 25, 1981 - Certified 2x Platinum: December 1, 1993 - Certified 3x Platinum: November 17, 1995 - Highest Billboard Chart Position: 61
"The quickest ever was 'The Twilight Zone' from our '2112' album. That was written and recorded in one day." - Neil Peart, "Stories From Signals", Signals Tourbook
"Polygram had written us off before '2112' had come - we'd seen their financial predictions and we weren't even on it!" - Neil Peart, Classic Rock, Oct. 2004
"All those paeans to American restlessness and the American road carried a tinge of wistfulness, an acknowledgment of the hardships of the vagrant life, the notion that wanderlust could be involuntary, exile as much as freedom, and indeed, the understanding that freedom wasn't free. In the mid-'70s, the band was driving to a show in downtown Los Angeles, at the Shrine Auditorium, and I noticed some graffiti splattered across a wall: 'Freedom isn't free,' and I adapted that for a song on 2112, 'Something for Nothing.'" - Neil Peart, Traveling Music
"The prog-rock experiments of the band Rush are among works that should be preserved for future generations, says a committee tasked with saving the best in Canadian television, radio, film and music. The band's 1976 album 2112, a unique blend of classic rock and synthesizers that made Rush a sensation both in Canada and the United States, is one of 12 cultural pieces named Thursday as MasterWorks by the Audio-Visual Preservation Trust. The public-sector group promotes the protection of classic Canadian works and selects a dozen every year for preservation, offering funds for those in danger of being lost...'The safeguarding of these selections is so important to the foundation of Canadian culture.' added president David Novek..." - Jam Showbiz, Oct. 19, 2006

"I would definitely fear the realization that the best record we made was 10 or 20 years ago. That would be hard to live with." - Neil Peart, TheStar.com, Oct. 21, 2006
"To me, it's raw and immature and all that it should be - it's 30 years ago...A lot of our early stuff does (make me cringe) but on the other hand, I know that it's genuine." - Neil Peart, Jam!Music, Oct. 22, 2006

Hey, you didn't mention the Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture quote at the end of the 2112 Overture.

Get it? Get it? biggrin.gif 1812? 2112?

I've always thought that was really neat. smile.gif

Why is this thread about to die? What's wrong, people? Don't you like free 2.gif bootlegs!?

2112 is alright. It isnt Moving Pictures or Fly By Night but it does showcase greatness in the band. I would have to say that it mostly shows greatness in showcasing Geddy Lee is a metal singer. He sounds the most metal in this album more so than any other rush album. I believe that that can mostly be seen in the song Temples of Syrinx.

I like the song Twilight Zone. Mostly because I used to watch the show myself, but also because it gives an eerie and very unusual feel to the album that other Rush albums do not possess.

I think the second track, A Passage to Bankok is interesting to say the least. Many have said that this song is about gong to Bankok to get stoned. Personally I dont think you need to leave your house to get stoned but hey whatever floats your boat.

The last track something for nothing is one of my faves off this album. Why may you ask, well it is just so catchy and I often find myself singing that corus in context of saying no to someone. You cant get something for nothing etc.. I think it is a very true telling saying and I am sure it is something that they were thining about a lot at the time considering how famous they were getting and so quickly. It has to make you wonder why everything is easy and it makes you suspicious.

The reason why I dont like this album is because it really isnt all that accessable and overrated for the most part. I know people who say it is their fave, yeah it is the most metal but then they only like it for a few songs. To be honest I dont listen to as much as other Rush albums because when I listen t it I need to have a lot of time to hear the whole thing and my life is too busy to do that. But then that is just my opinion.

RUSH IS BACK FROM BEING "DOWN THE TUBES"...

While I personally love Caress of Steel, it was considered a failure by commercial standards. Calling only your THIRD tour as "Down The Tubes" certainly says that you don't think there's much life left. However, the boys had a final chance...and made damn good on it. I guess they really knew they could make it...and they refused to give up! I love how they say that the record company wanted them to got the ways of simplicity (circa "PINK" album), but the 3 of them chose instead to ignore them and go in a completely different direction. This is what symbolizes Rush...they always chose to go with what THEY believed in!

Bottom line: They stuck to what they wanted to do, and it paid off.

2112 is known primarily as the album that put Rush ON the map. It brought them new life, and a lot more fans I'm sure! This was the first album in what would become their "golden era"...this would ultimately start a series of absolute classic masterpieces!

2112 - what more can you say?! The entire epic is scripted out and arranged perfectly. Neil took a beautiful story-like concept, wrote it in absolute perfection, and the boys put amazing musical spin on it. This song is an absolute classic...and it paid off. Like the "man against the masses" theme that stems throughout this song, it was ultimately Rush against the record company. They chose to go their own way...and they never looked back. This song ultimately saved Rush, and prolonged their careers! Thank you 2112.

A PASSAGE TO BANGKOK - Awesome little song...the first of the five "mini-tracks" to fill-out side two of 2112. This song has a very powerful riff that never seems to get old. (The raw power of the music really stood out to me on the 'R30 Overture').

THE TWILIGHT ZONE - Written in one day? Wow...this song is absolutely fantastic. A nice little 'dark' musical masterpiece with some excellent lyrics from Neil. Nothing over-the-top fancy, but it works wonders. This is one of my personal favourites from this album, and shows that with Rush, there really are NO 'fillers'.

LESSONS - The only song (that I know of) that is noted as being penned by Alex. I personally, love this song. A fun little song that sounds very innocent, and quite simple. Perhaps it's what I love most about this song...it's just very simple. Easy to follow...and a nice light rocker!

TEARS - Geddy's ballad on the album. It's a nice little song that sounds very emotional. It's a great song, and even though it sounds out-of-place on this album...it does do justice on Rush's catelog. It's probably a forgotten song in the grand scheme...but is fantastic nonetheless.

SOMETHING FOR NOTHING - Wow...a proper sendoff indeed. This song is nothing but pure anger, emotion, and RAW power! One of Rush's hardest rockers...this song has always captivated me. I consider this song to be my second-favourite off this album...but I could listen to this on any given day. It's a fantastic rocker that just blows me away everytime. Fascinating bass-work by Ged...I love the melodic intro, and how Alex closes out the album soloing like he has to get in every last note!! Amazing closer!

Overall, 2112 has become known to be one of Rush's greatest albums. Although I wouldn't rank it alongside Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures, it did do the band justice, and commercially resurrected them back into the spotlight. This was the first album of the 'golden era', and was ultimately the starting point to turn them into a main player, rather than just an 'opening act'! cool.gif

Here is my short review:

although the attempt to add prog-rock style to their heavy-rock character in music composing is already obvious in their two previous albums, 2112 is considerred to be the album that mark RUSH as `a Progressive-rock` band.

This Album feature the two of this album that made out to be`Rush classics`,`2112` and `Bangkok`. Yes,There is a 18 minutes epic songs that successfuly hooked more listeners, while in Careess Of Steel, they have two long tracks but they don`t seem to atract people really much.

And `passage to bangkok`that is short but contains best of their work.

I think,the songwriting in 2112 are better, because they contains both complexity that Rush demand, yet not to alien to common rock listener.

it seems that 2112 as the point where Rush can see their new direction in their future songwriting.

This is easily the band's angriest album, something that the title track demonstrates with aplomb. It's also a very streamlined album: there's a refinement to the band's sound here that's very fresh and exciting.

The first time I heard the title track was when a friend loaned me All The World's A Stage. I bought this album as soon after that as my pocket money would allow laugh.gif

As I've said before, it doesn't leave as much room for light and shade, for me, as Fountain of Lamneth - it's very aggressive and very different in atmosphere from the latter track, which is not a bad thing. In some ways, as a result, it's more cohesive than FoL. There's a definite feeling of a band flipping the finger at their critics and telling the world "this is who we are, this is what we want to do". It works brilliantly. And those final words "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation" (7 words repeated 3 times) "We have assumed control" (4 words repeated 3 times) is just annoyingly clever laugh.gif

Side two (I'm still in vinyl/gatefold cover mode ph34r.gif ) is more of a mixed bag. It's almost heresy to say, but A Passage to Bangkok has never been one of my favourites. Don't ask me why, it's just never really done it for me. By contrast I have always loved The Twilight Zone and Lessons - the latter, particularly, has an infectious groove to it that is guaranteed to get my foot tapping whilst the temptation to dig out the air guitar for the final moments is almost too difficult to resist new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've never been able to make up my mind about Tears. Depending upon what mood I'm in I either like it or hate it. It's a very un-Rush-like song in so many ways, and yet so typical of their constant desire to throw a curve ball into the mix at least once per album. It's a very brave step, considering the general feel of this album, and for that reason alone I appreciate it without particularly loving it.

Something For Nothing is my favourite track on the album. Geddy's bass at the start sounds phenomenal, the lyrics are simple and to the point (and a very effective point they make, too) and the way the track gallops towards the album's close is indicative of one of the band's marvellous traits throughout their career - always end on a high new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

On the whole 2112 shines as a classic. From the packaging (kimonos and handlebar moustaches included) and presentation, to the performance, lyrics and production, it is a bold, clear and classy statement of intent which quite rightly catapulted the band into the big league.

Fantastic applaudit.gif

Boy what can be said that Rush themselves have not already said. Most poeple so far have said it too - 2112 was THE rebellion album for Geddy, Alex and Neil, after being told by "the industry' that they had to write something more radio playable. BS!! I first heard 2112 when I was just getting into Rush, and could not get enough of side 1. I don't think it is any coincidence that, as a teenager, whenever I was angry or frustrated with school, parents, friends (girlfriends, specifically!) I would play 2112 as LOUD as my stereo would allow.

The only thing left to say, is has anyone noticed that when you type "2112" using the shift key, you get '@!!@' - symbols commonly used in cartoons to represent curse words? laugh.gif

That was a long 7:00

Not too many here again. Guess all the hype over S&A has people not too interested in old RUSH!!! confused13.gif

Anywho, the list is as follows...

1) finbar

2) presto-digitation

3) jdl2112

4) puppetking2112

5) yabigtree

6) emotion detector

7) buttprobe

8) willowroolz

9) alph seeker

winner in 2&2

Archived