Some 'Dark Knight' casting rumors

Jack Aubrey

Thanks to Jo Blo.

Folks are saying that THANK YOU FOR SMOKING lead-man Aaron Eckhart is the leading contender for the role of Harvey Dent aka Two-Face in the upcoming THE DARK KNIGHT. They're also corroborating the rumors that Rachel McAdams and Emily Blunt are candidates for the role of Batman love interest Rachel Dawes.

Jack here. I hope they go with Rachel McAdams because she's totally hot a terrific actress.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 4 2007, 08:56 PM)
Thanks to Jo Blo.

Folks are saying that THANK YOU FOR SMOKING lead-man Aaron Eckhart is the leading contender for the role of Harvey Dent aka Two-Face in the upcoming THE DARK KNIGHT. They're also corroborating the rumors that Rachel McAdams and Emily Blunt are candidates for the role of Batman love interest Rachel Dawes.

Jack here. I hope they go with Rachel McAdams because she's totally hot a terrific actress.

No Katie Holmes this time? No problem. I like Katie but she was somewhat ineffective in Batman Begins. I'll take Rachel McAdams any day of the week.

Why are we caring who plays his "love interest"??? He shouldn't even HAVE a love interest. Early in his career is when he was insanely dedicated to his fight and his cause. He had no time for a love interest. This is the only point I don't care for in the new franchise. Other than this, the movie was great and I think the sequel will be too.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 6 2007, 04:27 AM)
Why are we caring who plays his "love interest"??? He shouldn't even HAVE a love interest. Early in his career is when he was insanely dedicated to his fight and his cause. He had no time for a love interest. This is the only point I don't care for in the new franchise. Other than this, the movie was great and I think the sequel will be too.

I see your point, but don't you think that a love interest helps make the character more human and relatable?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 6 2007, 05:27 PM)
Why are we caring who plays his "love interest"???  He shouldn't even HAVE a love interest.  Early in his career is when he was insanely dedicated to his fight and his cause.  He had no time for a love interest.  This is the only point I don't care for in the new franchise.  Other than this, the movie was great and I think the sequel will be too.

True. But him having a love interest this early in his career is a small flaw compared to the others that exist in movies with comic book roots...see also: the disgusting bastardization of Dr.Doom in FANTASTIC 4, nearly ALL of HULK, and Spidey's organic web-shooters. There are several more but these are the first 3 I thought of.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 6 2007, 08:29 AM)
Why are we caring who plays his "love interest"???  He shouldn't even HAVE a love interest.  Early in his career is when he was insanely dedicated to his fight and his cause.  He had no time for a love interest.  This is the only point I don't care for in the new franchise.  Other than this, the movie was great and I think the sequel will be too.

I see your point, but don't you think that a love interest helps make the character more human and relatable?

The only reason for the Love interest is for the chick flick appeal - If it's too dark and violent our wives and girlfriends will be pissed at us.

Edited by alphseeker

no.gif

HOW is anyone supposed to relate to him? That's the appeal. The deep thing about Bats that you have to realize, is that he's INSANE. His guilt complex over surviving when his parents didn't is what drives him. There's no time for love in that scenario. Especially THIS early in his career.

I agree though, that they add it for the chick factor. If Batman was ever done completely correct, only fanboys would probably go see it. sad.gif

Heath Ledger to play The Joker?? confused13.gif

TDK on IMDB

I don't know if I like the idea of Sir Ulrich Von Lichtenstein playing one of Gotham's most feared criminal masterminds...

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 7 2007, 06:42 AM)

no.gif

HOW is anyone supposed to relate to him? That's the appeal. The deep thing about Bats that you have to realize, is that he's INSANE. His guilt complex over surviving when his parents didn't is what drives him. There's no time for love in that scenario. Especially THIS early in his career.

I agree though, that they add it for the chick factor. If Batman was ever done completely correct, only fanboys would probably go see it. sad.gif

I would submit that there has to be some aspects to the character with which the audience can connect, otherwise you wind up with a hero that is just so inhuman that audiences will react negatively. Everybody wants to see some part of themselves in a hero.

They have a love interest in a Hollywood movie for the eye candy factor which ensures a baseline-bums-on-seats guarantee, plus the romance element gets more casual female moviegoers on board...

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 7 2007, 08:56 AM)

no.gif

I would submit that there has to be some aspects to the character with which the audience can connect, otherwise you wind up with a hero that is just so inhuman that audiences will react negatively. Everybody wants to see some part of themselves in a hero.

Yeah, I get that, but I don't think it really needs to be in the form of a love interest. Especially in the beginning of the career.

Do you know that in the comics, he's been in love a few times, but supposedly (depending on which editor you talk to), he's a virgin? There's a story called the Son of the Demon, where he impregnates Talia, Ras' daughter, but they've "done away" with that storyline by calling it an ELSEWORLDS arc. Longtime DC editor, Denny O'Neil claims that for all of Bruce's playboy act, it is just that... an act. He always manages to steal away from the woman before closing the deal, so to speak. They claim the closest he's come to actually loving a woman physically was the recent HUSH storyline with Catwoman. But again... this is editor dependent.

Just thought you might care. laugh.gif

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Feb 7 2007, 06:19 AM)
Heath Ledger to play The Joker??  confused13.gif

TDK on IMDB

I don't know if I like the idea of Sir Ulrich Von Lichtenstein playing one of Gotham's most feared criminal masterminds...

I posted this a while back:

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 20 2006, 08:35 PM)
From this week's Entertainment Weekly:

EW: Why Heath Ledger as the Joker?
Christopher Nolan: The word is fearless. Heath is a fearless performer, and that's exactly what I need in taking on a massive icon like the Joker.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 8 2007, 07:31 AM)

no.gif

Yeah, I get that, but I don't think it really needs to be in the form of a love interest. Especially in the beginning of the career.

Do you know that in the comics, he's been in love a few times, but supposedly (depending on which editor you talk to), he's a virgin? There's a story called the Son of the Demon, where he impregnates Talia, Ras' daughter, but they've "done away" with that storyline by calling it an ELSEWORLDS arc. Longtime DC editor, Denny O'Neil claims that for all of Bruce's playboy act, it is just that... an act. He always manages to steal away from the woman before closing the deal, so to speak. They claim the closest he's come to actually loving a woman physically was the recent HUSH storyline with Catwoman. But again... this is editor dependent.

Batman just might be psychotic enough NOT to sleep with Catwoman and Talia

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 7 2007, 03:46 PM)

TDK on IMDB

Christopher Nolan: The word is fearless. Heath is a fearless performer, and that's exactly what I need in taking on a massive icon like the Joker.

Oh, ok. Well, i'll go rent some more things with him in it, cause I really haven't seen much of his work. But thanks for the heads up man. trink39.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 7 2007, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 8 2007, 07:31 AM)

no.gif

Batman just might be psychotic enough NOT to sleep with Catwoman and Talia

EXACTLY!!!

For all his heroism, at the core of Batman's psyche, is a very dark, twisted man who's terribly f*cked up (proffessional terminology) over surviving his parent's murder. Mix that with the revenge he wishes to take on ALL things criminal and you have a very SICK man. He finds new ways to make himself suffer. He takes pleasure from the suffering. To fall in love completely... including the physical... would resolve him of his pain and therefore nullify his quest or mission.

In Son of the Demon, he was totally losing his edge by being so in love with Talia. He was becoming blind to the evil of Ras. He's just a man, so he slipped. But he straightened that all out. Talia faked her miscarriage and sent Bruce BACK to his crusade. Again... he'd lost someone he loved. The story was great, but DC decided it could no longer exist in REAL continuity, so they made it an ELSEWORLD story, years after it's existance. Kinda sucks... but I see the point that editors like Denny O'Neil have. He just can't be IN LOVE. Especially this early in his career. He's still far too consumed by guilt and vengeance.

But if they have to put it in a movie for the uninformed sheep... i can live with it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Feb 10 2007, 04:43 AM)

TDK on IMDB

Oh, ok. Well, i'll go rent some more things with him in it, cause I really haven't seen much of his work. But thanks for the heads up man. trink39.gif

I think Heath will be fantastic. As long as his version of Joker doesn't get all "BrokeBacky" with Bats. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 11 2007, 09:24 AM)
EXACTLY!!!

For all his heroism, at the core of Batman's psyche, is a very dark, twisted man who's terribly f*cked up (proffessional terminology) over surviving his parent's murder. Mix that with the revenge he wishes to take on ALL things criminal and you have a very SICK man. He finds new ways to make himself suffer. He takes pleasure from the suffering. To fall in love completely... including the physical... would resolve him of his pain and therefore nullify his quest or mission.

In Son of the Demon, he was totally losing his edge by being so in love with Talia. He was becoming blind to the evil of Ras. He's just a man, so he slipped. But he straightened that all out. Talia faked her miscarriage and sent Bruce BACK to his crusade. Again... he'd lost someone he loved. The story was great, but DC decided it could no longer exist in REAL continuity, so they made it an ELSEWORLD story, years after it's existance. Kinda sucks... but I see the point that editors like Denny O'Neil have. He just can't be IN LOVE. Especially this early in his career. He's still far too consumed by guilt and vengeance.

But if they have to put it in a movie for the uninformed sheep... i can live with it. biggrin.gif

Love that professional terminology! rofl3.gif

It all harkens back to the whole relatability thing. It's my opinion that average moviegoers can relate better to a hero who has love interests more than they can relate to a hero who lives his life as some kind of self-flagellating monk who treats vengeance as his religion. Though I could understand how he would have a fear of commitment due to the fact that his parents were killed right in front of him, and at such a young age.

Some of the best all-time Batman stories are the psychological ones. The ones about what drives him and what his crusade is all about. If you ever get a chance to read some comics, let me know and I'll recommend certain story arcs that are just amazing. The one JLA arc where Ras hacks the batcave computers and comes up with all of Batman's protocols to ELIMINATE the other members of the league if ever the need arises, is just PHENOMENAL. The way they react to finding out that what they just went through was because Bats sits at home in this world of distrust and comes up with brilliant ways to kill his partners is totally nuts. One of the best JLA arcs EVER.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 11 2007, 12:55 PM)
Some of the best all-time Batman stories are the psychological ones. The ones about what drives him and what his crusade is all about. If you ever get a chance to read some comics, let me know and I'll recommend certain story arcs that are just amazing. The one JLA arc where Ras hacks the batcave computers and comes up with all of Batman's protocols to ELIMINATE the other members of the league if ever the need arises, is just PHENOMENAL. The way they react to finding out that what they just went through was because Bats sits at home in this world of distrust and comes up with brilliant ways to kill his partners is totally nuts. One of the best JLA arcs EVER.

Spider-man could take out Batman...

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2007, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 11 2007, 12:55 PM)
Some of the best all-time Batman stories are the psychological ones.  The ones about what drives him and what his crusade is all about.  If you ever get a chance to read some comics, let me know and I'll recommend certain story arcs that are just amazing.  The one JLA arc where Ras hacks the batcave computers and comes up with all of Batman's protocols to ELIMINATE the other members of the league if ever the need arises, is just PHENOMENAL.  The way they react to finding out that what they just went through was because Bats sits at home in this world of distrust and comes up with brilliant ways to kill his partners is totally nuts.  One of the best JLA arcs EVER.

Spider-man could take out Batman...

wink.gif

rage.gif

Spider-man vs. Batman?

Well, the first time they'd meet, Spider-man would seriously injure Batman, throwing stinging insults all the while. Bruce Wayne would go back to the cave, struggle with his identity, maybe have a flashback to a similar situation, come up with a new plan, go out and kick Spider-man's webslinging self into tomorrow. Peter Parker would take this all in stride and end the comic with a wink and a joke.

Then Bane and Carnage team up to kick their collective superness, and all is right in the world. applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 11 2007, 06:25 AM)
QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Feb 10 2007, 04:43 AM)

TDK on IMDB

I think Heath will be fantastic. As long as his version of Joker doesn't get all "BrokeBacky" with Bats. laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

Spider-man could take out Batman

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

The way the Batman character is written, he could beat God given prep time.

1287.gif It would be a pretty close battle though...