Neil's Pre-Gruber Playing(Do You Prefer It?)

presto123

Not that Neil would give a rat's a##, but from all the sites I've been on it seems that most people prefer Neil pre- Gruber rather than post Gruber. I know he put alot of work into refining his technique and outlook about the kit and it's kind of ironic that alot of people harken back to his "old" style. I think Vapor Trails was a good album, but it's my least favorite from a drumming perspective. Neil tried to groove more on that album and use alot of cymbal work for various accents and ornamentation. But to me he was ALOT less creative on that album and I hope for some of that old Neil returning on this release complete with a few electronic samples thrown in. He's still a great player, I just wonder if he realizes how many people like the old Neil better. He's got to do what makes him happy though right? Mike Portnoy once said he needs to forget about all that jazz shit and get back to playing like the old Neil or something to that effect. I wouldn't go that far but he does have a point.

By the way, there is no bigger Neil fan than I. He's the reason a started playing drums 23 years ago. Just some constructive critisizm. Like I said, as if he cares what I think. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

As a drummer...

I personally like Post Gruber Neil better.

Thats right.

I can play most of his styles when i put my mind to it...

from Tom Sawyer to Resist, from Driven to Anthem

And before, when I'm not playing it, his earlier work is more...on the surface flashy and brilliant, where as now his work is so cerebral from the actual movements to why he placed them there. Everything he hits makes sense now, instead of before.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 29 2007, 07:45 PM)
Mike Portnoy once said he needs to forget about all that jazz shit and get back to playing like the old Neil or something to that effect.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

He refers to it as jazz "shit"?

Um....

Buddy Rich

Louis Bellson

Art Blakey

Elvin Jones

Roy Haynes

Max Roach

Joe Morello

Billy Cobham

Tony Williams

Philly Joe Jones

Papa Jo Jones

Jack DeJohnette

Mel Lewis

Shelly Manne

Gene Krupa

Jake Hanna

Peter Erskine

Ed Shaughnessy

Oh! Back to the main subject! biggrin.gif

Neil's playing has greatly improved since studying with Freddie Gruber.

His touch and concept of playing as a whole has not changed, but grown to a new level.

NeilFinal.gif

I agree aspects of Neil's playing have certainly improved with his re-invention. But he quit playing like Neil. I'm sure he thinks that is better. I beg to differ. tongue.gif He became the drumming icon of our generation being old Neil, not GruberNeil. The result is less inventive, less challenging drumming. Which is ok if that's what he likes doing now. I miss the old unapologetic indulgence.

Was Different Stages pre or post Gruber?

I found the different style of drumming on the whole of 2112 annoying.

In fact, I'll take the All the World's a Stage shortened version of 2112 over the Different Stages whole thing any day of the week.

The old Neil was more exciting. Even though the new Neil is more refined, it's less exciting to me.

The new setup he uses is interesting, but I'd like to see him setup kinda like he used to. The new setup is too weird and looks difficult for him to navigate, and is it me, or do the drums just sound dead? DW's tend to have that tone (I know, I have a set). The best sound I ever had was with Ayotte's which I'm surprised he's not using since they are a Canadian brand of drums. Ok, now I've gone way off track...

2.gif

This has been brought up a lot on here.

Again, just watch the Buddy Rich Memorial Tapes before Neil embarrassed himself with his stiff un "swing" drumming technique. Neil can't swing. It's that simple. He worked on it for a year with Gruber but you can tell. Just ask Steve Smith. He told my parents when they met him vacationing in the Bahamas. "Neil is an incredible drummer when playing within the Rush mind set. Take Neil out of that musical environment and put him in a jazz structure and he will struggle."

Not Steve's exact words, but damn close.

Just watch the "Burning For Buddy" tapes too. Oh yeah and by the way the "Burning For Buddy" stuff is now on a 2 dvd set! SWEET!

It's a long story and I already threaded it on here.

The old Neil style his what I want.

I noticed while observing Neil on the R30 Tour that he is going "old school" more often than the Gruber Structure.

I am willing to bet that on the new record he will be playing more "matchstick" grip than "traditional!"

beathorse.gif beathorse.gif beathorse.gif beathorse.gif beathorse.gif

Ive heard some people talking smack about Neil about how the only reason hes so good is because he only uses a MASSIVE kit. Which ofcoarse is stupid because he used to use a smaller kit and was still amazing. But, hearing Neil on a smaller refined kit would be an awesome sight if you ask me.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 30 2007, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 30 2007, 12:45 AM)
Mike Portnoy once said he needs to forget about all that jazz shit and get back to playing like the old Neil or something to that effect.

The moment Neil starts taking advice from Mike Portnoy about drumming is the day he should give it up.

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 30 2007, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 30 2007, 12:45 AM)

The moment Neil starts taking advice from Mike Portnoy about drumming is the day he should give it up.

I will second that!!!

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Archived