The HULK thread

Tick

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 1 2007, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 1 2007, 08:24 PM)
As to the Hulk... never one of my favorite characters.  I did like the series with Bill Bixby though. 

Whaaaat? You liked that late 70s-early 80s Bill Bixby Hulk series?? It was the same thing every week: Banner turns up in some town calling himself David Benton or Brierly or some other B name and go to work as a fry cook or janitor or a lab assistant and as it happened the people who he works for just happen to have a Mr Big after them with a bunch of criminal thugs that are going to make them kiss the dirt unless they stump up some money, cue Bixby saying don't rough me up boys, don't do that cue vampire contact lenses cue Big greened up Lou and we see The HUlk growl the same old way, throw a few guys around the same old way, and he runs off the same old way. 30 seconds later cue Bixby in a pair of ripped jeans looking tired. Eventually the crooks get nailed by the cops after one more Hulk appearance and Bixby hugs everyone and gets ready to leave, Ohhhhh don't go David says this week's cute love interest, cue the intrepid and always on time Mr Jack Mcgee, the worst investigative reporter in history!!! Exit Mr Benton or Brierly walking off into another sunset, cue piano music na na na, na na na, na, na na

Next week it's Banner in recording studio, at the docks, the airport, a bar, a hairdressers, working in Macy's, Banner cleans up after some ballet dancers who have Mr Big #331 after them, Banner sings the blues, Banner goes gay blade, Banner goes to Mars and the Hulk throws a few green men around and runs off!! Anything they could think of but the same thing happened each and every time!!

And Mcgee never makes the obvious connection between Banner and The Hulk and they never allow him to discover that Banner is alive and he's crossed his path about 100 times without him knowing, so the story is never allowed to develop, we just get two 3 minute glimpses of the Hulk each week, he throws a few guys around and runs off as usual, hey Bill Bixby is the star not Big Lou.

It could have been good, the pilot show was really promising, but they wanted a safe, show that was more like the Fugitive than the Hulk comic, most of all they wanted sad sack piano music at the end each week, na na na, ne ne ne na, na na...

laugh.gif

I was like TEN when it came out. I liked it then. I might not now. I dunno. All I know, i don't like the comic much. There's been a few good runs in it's history, but the character just doesn't have enough for me to enjoy as a main character. He's cool as a support character, or a main obstacle... like in THE ULTIMATES, but in his own solo comic... BOOOORRRRRINNNG!!!

tongue.gif

And the movie... don't even get me started on the movie. GAMMA DOGS??? Sheesh. laugh.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erm.... punny humans? Don't you mean puny? =\

See when I see punny I pronounce it kinda like bunny... or funny.

lol. Sorry for the grammer/spelling check. wink.gif

It's just in my nature. ph34r.gif

Edited by Retrospective

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 1 2007, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 1 2007, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 1 2007, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 1 2007, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jan 1 2007, 01:36 PM)
http://www.samcci.comics.org/astonish/tta_93.jpg

The Sub-Mariner and Silver Surfer and quite easily my two favorite characters of all time. I had when I was a kid (believed lost) this super sized Marvel comic that had multiple stories in them of great battles between characters. One was Captain America vs. Ironman, another was Hulk vs. Thing, and another was Sub-Mariner vs. Surfer. IT WAS AWESOME.

I assume you're referring to the Kirby Silver Surfer, and not the Moebius one? tongue.gif

Regardless of what Denzel thinks... i could never stand Kirby's Surfer. So many other artists did Surfer so much better. Moebius just one of them.

I'm sorry, but I have to defer to Denzel's judgement there. Because of him, we didn't nuke Russia! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

tongue.gif

Okay... because he made a good sake of the world decision... i'll defer to him on this.

Frankly... neither of them are that good. Now if he'd chose Kirby over Joe Jusko... then that would be just wrong. yes.gif

Hulk has always been similar to the Jekyll/Hyde thang. And in the past, very similar to the Wolfman (since Hulk's transformation occurred at night). Jekyll/Hyde/Wolfman boring? I don't think so. All the anti-heroes like him, Sub-Mariner, and Silver Surfer are cool. 'Boring' is reserved for those boy scout heroes like Superman.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 2 2007, 09:27 AM)
Hulk has always been similar to the Jekyll/Hyde thang. And in the past, very similar to the Wolfman (since Hulk's transformation occurred at night). Jekyll/Hyde/Wolfman boring? I don't think so. All the anti-heroes like him, Sub-Mariner, and Silver Surfer are cool. 'Boring' is reserved for those boy scout heroes like Superman.

Good point JB. There's one you forgot though - there's Banner and Hulk, Jeckyl and Hyde and the wolfman PLUS there's another: Kenny and Necro...

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 04:24 AM)
Hulk has always been similar to the Jekyll/Hyde thang.  And in the past, very similar to the Wolfman (since Hulk's transformation occurred at night).  Jekyll/Hyde/Wolfman boring?  I don't think so.  All the anti-heroes like him, Sub-Mariner, and Silver Surfer are cool.  'Boring' is reserved for those boy scout heroes like Superman.

Good point JB. There's one you forgot though - there's Banner and Hulk, Jeckyl and Hyde and the wolfman PLUS there's another: Kenny and Necro...

ohmy.gif

You're right. And there's 2 you forgot...Aprul and 2hi. He's kind of like the whole Banner/Rampaging Hulk/Smart Hulk/Grey Hulk thing.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 2 2007, 04:39 PM)
Hulk has always been similar to the Jekyll/Hyde thang.  And in the past, very similar to the Wolfman (since Hulk's transformation occurred at night).  Jekyll/Hyde/Wolfman boring?  I don't think so.  All the anti-heroes like him, Sub-Mariner, and Silver Surfer are cool.  'Boring' is reserved for those boy scout heroes like Superman.

ohmy.gif

You're right. And there's 2 you forgot...Aprul and 2hi. He's kind of like the whole Banner/Rampaging Hulk/Smart Hulk/Grey Hulk thing.

This is why he doesn't like the Hulk, cos it's to much like his own reality and he's going through similar things as Banner every day, thus he finds it boring...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2007, 06:43 AM)

ohmy.gif

This is why he doesn't like the Hulk, cos it's to much like his own reality and he's going through similar things as Banner every day, thus he finds it boring...

laugh.gif

So true. And I've seen Ken in every mode...Banner: vulnerable, Rampaging Hulk: ready to punch a building or throw a tank if you anger him, Smart Hulk: he occasionally has some intelligent comments within that massive destructive frame tongue.gif , Grey Hulk: a sarcastic and sadistic bastard to the end.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 2 2007, 05:05 PM)

ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

So true. And I've seen Ken in every mode...Banner: vulnerable, Rampaging Hulk: ready to punch a building or throw a tank if you anger him, Smart Hulk: he occasionally has some intelligent comments within that massive destructive frame tongue.gif , Grey Hulk: a sarcastic and sadistic bastard to the end.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 2 2007, 05:05 PM)

ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

sad.gif

rage.gif

653.gif

sarcasm.gif

Oh yeah... you're right. z7shysterical.gif

goodpost.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 2 2007, 12:30 AM)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/necroTRF/untitled.jpg

Just an example of Jusko's art. 

Sorry Jack... I can't discuss/argue comics without the visuals. 

Sorry Tick... Hulk is just boring.  Surfer ROCKS!!!  1022.gif

i love the hulk, will always be one of my favorite comics along with ironman and spidey. 1022.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 2 2007, 07:18 PM)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/necroTRF/juskoshulk.jpg

Okay Tick. Here's some Hulk art by Joe Jusko. In my opinion, Joe is the best comic artist in THE WORLD. He fully paints all his work. He's also a very cool guy for an ex-cop. yes.gif

awesome work indeed ! yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 2 2007, 06:18 PM)

Okay Tick. Here's some Hulk art by Joe Jusko. In my opinion, Joe is the best comic artist in THE WORLD. He fully paints all his work. He's also a very cool guy for an ex-cop. yes.gif

Great artwork but I don't like that style for comic book characters it's kind of like pseudo-live action stuff, to me comic book characters should look like comic book characters...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 4 2007, 05:15 AM)

Okay Tick.  Here's some Hulk art by Joe Jusko.  In my opinion, Joe is the best comic artist in THE WORLD.  He fully paints all his work.  He's also a very cool guy for an ex-cop.  yes.gif

Great artwork but I don't like that style for comic book characters it's kind of like pseudo-live action stuff, to me comic book characters should look like comic book characters...

I somewhat agree with Duck on this one. I don't prefer this style but I can recognize it's value.

Duck, what would you characterize as 'comic book characters looking like comic book characters'? Kirby? Kubert? etc...

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 3 2007, 04:03 PM)

Okay Tick.  Here's some Hulk art by Joe Jusko.  In my opinion, Joe is the best comic artist in THE WORLD.  He fully paints all his work.  He's also a very cool guy for an ex-cop.  yes.gif

I somewhat agree with Duck on this one. I don't prefer this style but I can recognize it's value.

Duck, what would you characterize as 'comic book characters looking like comic book characters'? Kirby? Kubert? etc...

Well yes Kirby and Romita as well and all those guys but even modern guys like Deodato jnr, Terry Dodson and I really loved the artwork in Villains United which was by Dale Eaglesham...

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/img/2005/may/DC/VillainsUnitedCv4.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 4 2007, 06:18 AM)

Well yes Kirby and Romita as well and all those guys but even modern guys like Deodato jnr, Terry Dodson and I really loved the artwork in Villains United which was by Dale Eaglesham...

I see. I actually like that team pic better than the Hulk/Thor one

I'm a big fan of many different styles, but I tend to gravitate toward photo-realism. Guys like Jusko and Texiera are some of my faves. My buddy Tom Derenick had a photo-realistic style, but changed it up a bit for the same reasons you mention. He mingled a bit of a cartoony style into his already amazing style and it's worked well for him. He's working like crazy right now. yes.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 3 2007, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 4 2007, 06:18 AM)

I see. I actually like that team pic better than the Hulk/Thor one

Yeah the whole six issue series is great to look at, the story isn't bad too, I bought the whole thing as a graphic novel last year...

Check out this parody version it cracks me up a wee bit...

http://www.capvsbats.com/Parodies/VillainsUnited02.htm

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 4 2007, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 4 2007, 08:52 PM)
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/659/hulkvkentme6.jpg

Go on Hulk, beat the shit out of that little pansy!!

The Big Blue Boyscout WON!!!

laugh.gif

Not this time!!!

1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 4 2007, 11:05 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 4 2007, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 4 2007, 08:52 PM)
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/659/hulkvkentme6.jpg

Go on Hulk, beat the shit out of that little pansy!!

The Big Blue Boyscout WON!!!

laugh.gif

Not this time!!!

1287.gif

I can just see you pointing at your head and saying "Not in here, he didn't!" laugh.gif