That didnt take long...

lerxt1990

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/02/news/newsm...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Cruise helps resurrect historic movie studio

Actor will star and produce, while partner Paula Wagner will head United Artists, founded by Chaplin and others.

November 2 2006: 5:28 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Movie superstar Tom Cruise and MGM are partnering to resurrect the historic United Artists movie studio founded by Charlie Chaplin and associates, MGM's CEO announced Thursday.

The deal, which will give Cruise and his partner Paula Wagner "substantial ownership" in the new studio, will also give the pair control of the company's production slate.

Tom Cruise and producing partner Paula Wagner will run United Artists, the studio founded in 1919 by Charles Chaplin and other stars.

Cruise will star in films for United Artists and produce, while Wagner will serve as chief executive of the studio, MGM CEO Harry Sloan said a statement.

The move marks a major comeback for Cruise and Wagner after Viacom's (Charts) Paramount Pictures dumped the couple last summer, when Viacom CEO Sumner Redstone complained that Cruise's behavior, such as his couch-jumping incident on Oprah Winfrey's talk show and criticism of actress Brooke Shields for her taking of antidepressants, hurt the actor's most recent film, "Mission: Impossible 3."

Paramount cut ties with Cruise in August.

United Artists was founded by Chaplin, along with Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford and D. W. Griffith 85 years ago. The studio helped make the "James Bond", "Rocky" and "Pink Panther" movies.

Cruise last teamed up with the original United Artists on "Rain Man" in 1988, which won four Academy Awards including Best Picture.

UA has not released as many prominent films in the past few years, although it was the distributor of last year's "Capote," which featured an Academy Award-winning performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman in the title role.

MGM was acquired by Sony (Charts), cable firm Comcast (Charts) and a team of private equity firms in 2004. MGM and Viacom compete with Walt Disney (Charts), Time Warner (Charts) and General Electric's (Charts) NBC Universal Studios in the movie business.

I've come to really dislike Tom Cruise, probably because of his devotion to Scientology and what I know about that cult. Dismissing psychology and psychiatric drugs, rabidly arguing with Lauer, and jumping on Oprah's couch didn't endear him to me either.

Must I now boycott any movie from the UA house?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 2 2006, 06:02 PM)
I've come to really dislike Tom Cruise, probably because of his devotion to Scientology and what I know about that cult.  Dismissing psychology and psychiatric drugs, rabidly arguing with Lauer, and jumping on Oprah's couch didn't endear him to me either.

"You havent studied psychology, I have" fing.gif

Remember that little gem from the Today i-view?

Edited by lerxt1990

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 2 2006, 06:11 PM)
"You havent studied psychology, I have" fing.gif
Remember that little gem from the Today i-view?

"Matt... Matt... don't be glib, Matt!"

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 2 2006, 06:02 PM)
I've come to really dislike Tom Cruise, probably because of his devotion to Scientology and what I know about that cult.  Dismissing psychology and psychiatric drugs, rabidly arguing with Lauer, and jumping on Oprah's couch didn't endear him to me either.

Another thing that puts me off him is his insisting on acting like a dick when talking about his ex-Dawson's Creek girlfriend who appears to have become mute since she hooked up with Tommy. Plus he went apeshit when someone sprayed him with a water pistol over here in England at a film premiere: "You're a jerk!! YOU'RE A JERK!!!! YOU'RE A JERK!!! WHAT ARE YOU?

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4107922.stm

http://gorillamask.net/cruisewet.shtml

Edited by treeduck

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2006, 12:35 AM)
I many not be crazy about him personally, but he's still a hell of an actor in my book, and I'll see anything he's in that looks like a quality movie.

I quite liked Vanilla Sky...

Though I heard the original Spanish film was much better...

I remember most of my friends in high school (female-type, anyway) with pics of his in his freaking underwear pasted up in their lockers. eyesre4.gif

At that time, I had several pics of Geddy Lee up in mine. Albeit not in his underwear, alas. laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 2 2006, 10:37 PM)
I many not be crazy about him personally, but he's still a hell of an actor in my book, and I'll see anything he's in that looks like a quality movie.

Not to mention:

Risky Business

The Color of Money

Rain Man

Born on the Fourth of July

Far And Away

A Few Good Men

Jerry Maguire

Magnolia

Minority Report

War of the Worlds

I can't believe people would deprive themselves of seeing some of these kinds of quality movies because they're boycotting an actor who they don't like in their personal lives.

Too much for me to sacrifice personally.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2006, 10:10 AM)

Not to mention:

Risky Business

The Color of Money

Rain Man

Far And Away

A Few Good Men

Jerry Maguire

Magnolia

Minority Report

War of the Worlds

I can't believe people would deprive themselves of seeing some of these kinds of quality movies because they're boycotting an actor who they don't like in their personal lives.

I concur

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Nov 3 2006, 08:54 AM)

Not to mention:

Risky Business

The Color of Money

Rain Man

Far And Away

A Few Good Men

Jerry Maguire

Magnolia

Minority Report

War of the Worlds

I concur

I am concurrently concurring with your concurrence. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2006, 12:51 PM)

Not to mention:

Risky Business

The Color of Money

Rain Man

Far And Away

A Few Good Men

Jerry Maguire

Magnolia

Minority Report

War of the Worlds

I concur

Presently, I would in fact concur with your concurrence of the original concurrence. If we can agree that were all in concurrence of the concurred concurrence, let us consider ourselves in concurrence.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2006, 11:10 AM)
Risky Business
The Color of Money
Rain Man
A Few Good Men

For me these were particularly good movies, and I consider him a pretty good actor. I can seperate the man form the role, just like I evry much like Woody Allen films despite the fact that he's a lecherous sleaze...

Edited by lerxt1990

QUOTE (RushNut @ Nov 3 2006, 01:14 PM)
I don't concur with any of the concurrences or non-concurrences...

Are you registering a non-concurrence of the concurred re-concurrence of the concurred concurrence!?!?! How on earth are we to come to a consesus!?!?!?

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 3 2006, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 3 2006, 12:51 PM)

Not to mention:

Risky Business

The Color of Money

Rain Man

Far And Away

A Few Good Men

Jerry Maguire

Magnolia

Minority Report

War of the Worlds

I concur

Presently, I would in fact concur with your concurrence of the original concurrence. If we can agree that were all in concurrence of the concurred concurrence, let us consider ourselves in concurrence.

I concur. yes.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 3 2006, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Nov 3 2006, 01:14 PM)
I don't concur with any of the concurrences or non-concurrences...

Are you registering a non-concurrence of the concurred re-concurrence of the concurred concurrence!?!?! How on earth are we to come to a consesus!?!?!?

I think we should consent to the fact that the consensus is that we shall not have a consensus. If you can concur that there will be no consensus about any concurrnece or non-concurrence thereof, then at least we will have a consensus that there is no concurrence, and people can then proceed to concur with the consensus of non-concurrence. yes.gif

Not to mention:

Risky Business

The Color of Money

Rain Man

Far And Away

A Few Good Men

Jerry Maguire

Magnolia

Minority Report

War of the Worlds

As far acting I think Tom is a level up from the Matt Damons (though Matt was good in All the Pretty Horses) and his pal Ben whatsit...and he's waaaay above the likes of keanu Reeves...but

Too often Tom has played the cocky brat who just happens to be the best pilot (Top Gun), the best cocktail shaker (Cocktail), the best racing car driver (Days of Thunder), the best pool hustler (Color of Money), the best bareknuckle fighter [snigger](far and Away), the best lawyer (A few Good Men, The Firm), the best sports agent (Jerry maguire), the best secret agent (mission impossible), the best assassin (Collateral), the best wheelchair veteran (Born on the fourth of July). Most of the rest of the time he just plays a brat, so the best cocky brat (Rain man, Vanilla Sky).

I think you can see the pattern...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 3 2006, 02:41 PM)
Too often Tom has played the cocky brat who just happens to be the best pilot (Top Gun), the best cocktail shaker (Cocktail), the best racing car driver (Days of Thunder), the best pool hustler (Color of Money), the best bareknuckle fighter [snigger](far and Away), the best lawyer (A few Good Men, The Firm), the best sports agent (Jerry maguire), the best secret agent (mission impossible), the best assassin (Collateral), the best wheelchair veteran (Born on the fourth of July). Most of the rest of the time he just plays a brat, so the best cocky brat (Rain man, Vanilla Sky).

laugh.gif

...And don't forget that oftentimes his character has father issues; trying to equal his deceased father's expectations/job performance. We see this is Top Gun and A Few Good Men, and others if I'm not mistaken.

If the character is a cocky hot-shot with father issues, cast Tom Cruise in the role.

BTW, I've seen most of the films mentioned, and they're good for the most part. (Although I thought "Far and Away" was bad.) No, I guess I won't deprive myself of a good film and acting performance just because Cruise is a Scientology freakazoid.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 3 2006, 02:41 PM)

Not to mention:

Risky Business

The Color of Money

Rain Man

Far And Away

A Few Good Men

Jerry Maguire

Magnolia

Minority Report

War of the Worlds

As far acting I think Tom is a level up from the Matt Damons (though Matt was good in All the Pretty Horses) and his pal Ben whatsit...and he's waaaay above the likes of keanu Reeves...but

laugh.gif

aw cmon - who wants to watch a movie about a loser?? oh .. wait a minute ... that is fun... smile.gif