Where is the love?

what went wrong?

I don't often come to this board, but I need some advice. I have been dating a guy steadily for over a year. He is very quiet and reserved, but at times he finds the ability to say a few words. I don't normally mind this, but when I see every other boyfriend saying wonderfully nice, romantic things to their girlfriends, I become quite down in the dumps. A factor that certainly doesn't help is the my recent clinical diagnosis of chronic depression. Until this summer, I figured all my problems were just teenaged angst, but after more serious issues cropped up (self-abuse, among others) my mom put me through therapy. I've explained this to my boyfriend, as well as tried to hint that I'd like to say the nice things that I hear other guys say. Maybe I'm just envious, or maybe he's clueless; I don't know. But I'm wondering if it's still worth it to go out with him.

If anyone is brave enough to disentangle this mess of words and figure out what I'm asking (because I'm not exactly sure), I wish her the best of luck in trying to help. Thanks in advance; I am not worthy of the company of such wonderful people... notworthy.gif

Yeah, my boyfriend is socially retarded too. We've been together for over 2 years, 2 wonderful years I might add. wub.gif We're getting engaged in December, actually. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

While other boyfriends seem to gush about how hott their girlfriend is and how much they love her, Matt just mumbles "soul mate". eyesre4.gif

As if that explains everything?

Actually, it does.

He expresses his emotions differently, and that's totally cool. It just took me a while to understand and appreciate it. yes.gif

I look at it this way: If he's committing himself to me for the rest of his life, it's serious. Now, you aren't getting engaged (or even close, I hope), but if you've been together for over a year things must be going good for you two to still be together. (Does that even make any sense?)

With Matt, he puts up with my crazy shyt. And I mean CRAZY. He's been with me through so many ups and downs it makes a roller coaster look docile. I have mild bipolar disorder, but it's just enough to make me do weird things sometimes. confused13.gif

While other guys would run away, Matt has always been patient and kind. You have a close situation with the depression, but if he sticks with you he's worth it. He may just not know how to correctly deal with it and be supportive- a lot of guys don't.

What I'm trying to say is, he has his own way of communicating his emotions.

I've learned with Matt that not all guys give compliments. Deal with it. Move on. There's more to life than that. What matters is how he feels- which is communicated through the little things. Does he treat you well? Has he always been there for you?

Yes, I sometimes wish Matt would boast about how "hott" his girlfriend is, but who cares. That's superficial, and if the guy is with you- he likes you. smile.gif

Hope I helped trink39.gif

QUOTE (what went wrong? @ Oct 11 2006, 10:58 PM)
I don't often come to this board, but I need some advice. I have been dating a guy steadily for over a year. He is very quiet and reserved, but at times he finds the ability to say a few words. I don't normally mind this, but when I see every other boyfriend saying wonderfully nice, romantic things to their girlfriends, I become quite down in the dumps. A factor that certainly doesn't help is the my recent clinical diagnosis of chronic depression. Until this summer, I figured all my problems were just teenaged angst, but after more serious issues cropped up (self-abuse, among others) my mom put me through therapy. I've explained this to my boyfriend, as well as tried to hint that I'd like to say the nice things that I hear other guys say. Maybe I'm just envious, or maybe he's clueless; I don't know. But I'm wondering if it's still worth it to go out with him.

If anyone is brave enough to disentangle this mess of words and figure out what I'm asking (because I'm not exactly sure), I wish her the best of luck in trying to help. Thanks in advance; I am not worthy of the company of such wonderful people... notworthy.gif

You mean...you're a girl...?

tongue.gif laugh.gif

Actually I did think you were a guy for a while...

QUOTE (Kid_Gloves @ Oct 11 2006, 11:12 PM)
Yeah, my boyfriend is socially retarded too. We've been together for over 2 years, 2 wonderful years I might add. wub.gif We're getting engaged in December, actually. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

While other boyfriends seem to gush about how hott their girlfriend is and how much they love her, Matt just mumbles "soul mate". eyesre4.gif

Actually, it does.

He expresses his emotions differently, and that's totally cool. It just took me a while to understand and appreciate it. yes.gif

I look at it this way: If he's committing himself to me for the rest of his life, it's serious. Now, you aren't getting engaged (or even close, I hope), but if you've been together for over a year things must be going good for you two to still be together. (Does that even make any sense?)

With Matt, he puts up with my crazy shyt. And I mean CRAZY. He's been with me through so many ups and downs it makes a roller coaster look docile. I have mild bipolar disorder, but it's just enough to make me do weird things sometimes. confused13.gif

While other guys would run away, Matt has always been patient and kind. You have a close situation with the depression, but if he sticks with you he's worth it. He may just not know how to correctly deal with it and be supportive- a lot of guys don't.

I've learned with Matt that not all guys give compliments. Deal with it. Move on. There's more to life than that. What matters is how he feels- which is communicated through the little things. Does he treat you well? Has he always been there for you?

Yes, I sometimes wish Matt would boast about how "hott" his girlfriend is, but who cares. That's superficial, and if the guy is with you- he likes you. smile.gif

Hope I helped trink39.gif

goodpost.gif That was just what I needed. Problem solved.

Thanks so much Katie!!!!!!!!!!!

He is so very good to me, despite "social retardation", and I love him so much. No, we're not to the engagement stage, being that we're only 16, but someday.... wub.gif

QUOTE (what went wrong? @ Oct 11 2006, 08:58 PM)

If anyone is brave enough to disentangle this mess of words and figure out what I'm asking (because I'm not exactly sure), I wish her the best of luck in trying to help. Thanks in advance; I am not worthy of the company of such wonderful people...  notworthy.gif

Relationships an be very complicated in life. It sometimes takes work to make it work but too much work can also ruin the relationship as well. It's a balance of give and take. You both have to be willing to understand each other and appreciate each other's company as well. I hope that helps. I wish my relationships were easy but they are so hard for me. I guess that's why I am still single all these years. unsure.gif

QUOTE (what went wrong? @ Oct 11 2006, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (Kid_Gloves @ Oct 11 2006, 11:12 PM)
Yeah, my boyfriend is socially retarded too.  We've been together for over 2 years, 2 wonderful years I might add.  wub.gif  We're getting engaged in December, actually.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

While other boyfriends seem to gush about how hott their girlfriend is and how much they love her, Matt just mumbles "soul mate".  eyesre4.gif

Actually, it does.

He expresses his emotions differently, and that's totally cool.  It just took me a while to understand and appreciate it.  yes.gif

I look at it this way: If he's committing himself to me for the rest of his life, it's serious.  Now, you aren't getting engaged (or even close, I hope), but if you've been together for over a year things must be going good for you two to still be together.  (Does that even make any sense?)

With Matt, he puts up with my crazy shyt.  And I mean CRAZY.  He's been with me through so many ups and downs it makes a roller coaster look docile.  I have mild bipolar disorder, but it's just enough to make me do weird things sometimes.  confused13.gif

While other guys would run away, Matt has always been patient and kind.  You have a close situation with the depression, but if he sticks with you he's worth it.  He may just not know how to correctly deal with it and be supportive- a lot of guys don't.

I've learned with Matt that not all guys give compliments.  Deal with it.  Move on.  There's more to life than that.  What matters is how he feels- which is communicated through the little things.  Does he treat you well?  Has he always been there for you?

Yes, I sometimes wish Matt would boast about how "hott" his girlfriend is, but who cares.  That's superficial, and if the guy is with you- he likes you.  smile.gif

Hope I helped  trink39.gif

goodpost.gif That was just what I needed. Problem solved.

Thanks so much Katie!!!!!!!!!!!

He is so very good to me, despite "social retardation", and I love him so much. No, we're not to the engagement stage, being that we're only 16, but someday.... wub.gif

I'm so glad I was able to help! smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 11 2006, 11:19 PM)

If anyone is brave enough to disentangle this mess of words and figure out what I'm asking (because I'm not exactly sure), I wish her the best of luck in trying to help. Thanks in advance; I am not worthy of the company of such wonderful people...  notworthy.gif

tongue.gif laugh.gif

blah.gif I'm pretty sure that you and I have gone over this: I AM A GIRL.

I don't understand why it is so hard for people to figure out. Do I give off some sort of masculine aura? confused13.gif

QUOTE (what went wrong? @ Oct 12 2006, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 11 2006, 11:19 PM)

tongue.gif laugh.gif

blah.gif I'm pretty sure that you and I have gone over this: I AM A GIRL.

I don't understand why it is so hard for people to figure out. Do I give off some sort of masculine aura? confused13.gif

no.gif

Unisex, maybe.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (what went wrong? @ Oct 11 2006, 08:58 PM)
Maybe I'm just envious, or maybe he's clueless; I don't know. But I'm wondering if it's still worth it to go out with him.

yes.gif you're envious yes.gif yes, he's clueless no.gif it's not worth it

You answered your own questions. laugh.gif

aww, i'm sorry WWW, it sux. sad.gif rose.gif

For the envious part, you need to be aware of that and learn to overcome it for your own future benefit. Somebody will always have something better in some way. Learn to appreciate what you have when you have it. When you wake up in the morning, decide whether your boyfriend is who you want to spend time with. If he is, don't let anything someone ELSE does or doesn't do change your mind. If he is not who you want to spend your time with, find someone who you enjoy.

The fact that you are asking for advice tells me that you really already know the answer. wacko.gif I know that sounds confusing, but think about it this way. If this guy was the love of your life, would you need to ask other people what to do about him? no.gif

Give him the BOOT! Life is too short to sit around dissatisfied. There are too many really great guys out there that won't leave you wondering. BUT you should also take some time to reflect and recover before you get involved again. Focus on yourself and your own ambitions for a while.

2.gif on, sister. heart.gif

QUOTE (what went wrong? @ Oct 12 2006, 12:05 AM)

blah.gif I'm pretty sure that you and I have gone over this

Have we?

Have we?

confused13.gif

Maybe it's the name, it's something I'd've thought a guy would choose, I never did check your profile before...who's got the time? So many Rush polls to make up so many spooky spiders to catch...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (what went wrong? @ Oct 12 2006, 04:58 AM)

I read your post and really felt for you.

I had a thread about cutting (self harm)

I am a 40 year old woman and I really would hate to see someone else go as long as I did without some understanding and support.

First. When you see other guys telling their girls all that romantic stuff, do not be envious. I had one that told me that and let me tell you, he wasn't that great. Some guys do really mean it and others just don't express themselves verbally. If your boyfriend shows he cares in other ways, don't worry about how romantic his language could be.

Second. Depression. You've been diagnosed I believe and that is the first step. Depression is different for everyone as is the treatment. I was undiagnosed for years and it was hell. The best advice I can give is to always take your meds(if you've been prescribed them) and lean on friends when it's bad. I have found that meds work fairly well but for me there is no 'magic' cure. On meds I can live and deal with life but still have really bad times. Off meds I am a wreck --a bad wreck.

Lastly. Self Harm. It can be addicting. I use it when things are rough and overwhelm me. I am starting to learn to go to my husband and talk instead of cutting. Please don't get as old as me and still self harm. sad.gif

You're 16, you've got a family that loves you and a guy too. Sometimes that doesn't seem to matter and we want something better. There is nothing better than those who love you. Nothing. Lean on your friends and family when you need to.

I hope this is not too preachy sad.gif

I really don't want to see someone get as messed up as me.

I promise not to preach anymore if you want to PM me anytime you feel the need to just vent of someone to listen. smile.gif

Sending good thoughts and healing light to you rose.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Oct 12 2006, 08:13 AM)

I am a 40 year old woman and I really would hate to see someone else go as long as I did without some understanding and support.

First. When you see other guys telling their girls all that romantic stuff, do not be envious. I had one that told me that and let me tell you, he wasn't that great. Some guys do really mean it and others just don't express themselves verbally. If your boyfriend shows he cares in other ways, don't worry about how romantic his language could be.

Second. Depression. You've been diagnosed I believe and that is the first step. Depression is different for everyone as is the treatment. I was undiagnosed for years and it was hell. The best advice I can give is to always take your meds(if you've been prescribed them) and lean on friends when it's bad. I have found that meds work fairly well but for me there is no 'magic' cure. On meds I can live and deal with life but still have really bad times. Off meds I am a wreck --a bad wreck.

Lastly. Self Harm. It can be addicting. I use it when things are rough and overwhelm me. I am starting to learn to go to my husband and talk instead of cutting. Please don't get as old as me and still self harm. sad.gif

You're 16, you've got a family that loves you and a guy too. Sometimes that doesn't seem to matter and we want something better. There is nothing better than those who love you. Nothing. Lean on your friends and family when you need to.

I promise not to preach anymore if you want to PM me anytime you feel the need to just vent of someone to listen. smile.gif

goodpost.gif

Good to see you Mrs. H smile.gif

WWW take this to heart....Mrs. H is a lady with a strong soul and knows what she is talking about.

This goes for the other NWW who have spoken in your thread as well trink39.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 12 2006, 12:35 PM)

goodpost.gif

WWW take this to heart....Mrs. H is a lady with a strong soul and knows what she is talking about.

You're a good man Testy smile.gif

trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

Excellent advice.

QUOTE (Huck @ Oct 12 2006, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 12 2006, 12:35 PM)

goodpost.gif

You're a good man Testy smile.gif

trink39.gif

Thanks man trink39.gif

I try to be unsure.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 12 2006, 06:43 PM)
Totally excellent advice by all. Very heartfelt knowledgable stuff too. I can only add that for me, if your first and last thought of each day is of this person, that tells you a lot. If they're not... that tells you even more. Good luck. trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

Can't say much more than that, really.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 12 2006, 05:43 PM)
Totally excellent advice by all. Very heartfelt knowledgable stuff too. I can only add that for me, if your first and last thought of each day is of this person, that tells you a lot. If they're not... that tells you even more. Good luck. trink39.gif

yes.gif Very true goodpost.gif

Thank you all for your help. It's great to see that there are people that care enough to put aside their own lives and help a complete stranger. I thank you all. heart.gif

QUOTE (mortkort @ Oct 14 2006, 07:23 PM)
there is a girl in my class at school that i think of every day, what does it mean? unsure.gif am in love? scared.gif

It all depends on how you think of her. Do you wish you could be closer, or you think of her as just a girl?

You know, ladies, we should really start asking for a subsection in NWW specifically for advice. Who wants to bug GG?

Archived