How would you feel if the new album was kind of

treeduck

What I'm talking about it is this: an album that features, whether by accident or design, songs that seem to cover a wide range of Rush's previous styles plus something new, so for example...

A New World Man style song (I'm not talking carbon copies here btw).

An explosive Freewill meets Freeze rocker (if that's possible)

An epic length/odd time signature tune.

A retro rocker ala Working Man.

An 80s keyboard driven hard rock song like Subdivisions.

A guitar driven tune with a taste of synths like something off Moving Pictures.

A 90s instrumental similar to Leave That Thing Alone.

A Tears/Different strings ballad.

A Counterparts hard rocker

4 tunes that go in an all-new direction

In this scenario all the throwback style songs are done in a style that fits in with the all-new direction and have modern sensibilites...

I doubt it'll happen this way but I thought it was an interesting thing to explorw so how does this sound then people? Make up your own Rush overview album if you have to just don't kill your own dog's mother over this, ok?

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 8 2006, 10:20 PM)
Both.

Oh give the boys a chance Puppet it's not even finished yet!!

And as for me I have to ask these questions I'm helping you Puppet, I'm forcing you to think of things that you wouldn't have considered good or bad and that's my mission on here...I want you to think outside the box instead of just stumbling through the next few months...

In other words yes I'm your new stalker Puppet!!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2006, 07:24 PM)
Both.

I feel confident that their album is going to be their best yet. VT was, and this time they have a decent producer, and Neil described the songs as being their freshest-sounding yet, so I don't see why they can't top all their previous work.

What I said was a terrible idea was this album that was proposed, where most of it is retreads of the same territory they've already travelled. If you want a Counterparts-style hard rocker, listen to Counterparts. If you want a Tears/Strings-style ballad, listen to those songs. If you want a Moving Pictures type album, listen to Moving Pictures. Let's hear something new.

I think Rush will come through.

And as for me I have to ask these questions I'm helping you Puppet, I'm forcing you to think of things that you wouldn't have considered good or bad and that's my mission on here...I want you to think outside the box instead of just stumbling through the next few months...

tongue.gif

You know what? I thought you were weird at first when you joined, but I have come to really like these questions you are asking, even if I think some of them are ludicrous. Gives me a reason to actually come in the "Rush" section, since I usually just post in the "Music of the Spheres" section. Usually, when Rush doesn't have any new product or tour going on, the threads on here are mostly the usual favorite song/favorite album stuff we've all done a million times.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 8 2006, 10:42 PM)
Both.

I feel confident that their album is going to be their best yet. VT was, and this time they have a decent producer, and Neil described the songs as being their freshest-sounding yet, so I don't see why they can't top all their previous work.

What I said was a terrible idea was this album that was proposed, where most of it is retreads of the same territory they've already travelled. If you want a Counterparts-style hard rocker, listen to Counterparts. If you want a Tears/Strings-style ballad, listen to those songs. If you want a Moving Pictures type album, listen to Moving Pictures. Let's hear something new.

I think Rush will come through.

Well I'm playing devil's advocate in this thread, I just..."set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines..."

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 8 2006, 10:48 PM)

tongue.gif

You know what? I thought you were weird at first when you joined, but I have come to really like these questions you are asking, even if I think some of them are ludicrous. Gives me a reason to actually come in the "Rush" section, since I usually just post in the "Music of the Spheres" section. Usually, when Rush doesn't have any new product or tour going on, the threads on here are mostly the usual favorite song/favorite album stuff we've all done a million times.

Oh I'm weird alright...

bncegrn.gif

You are not weird!

RUSH always seems to go the "fresh new music" route. Or should I say the "fresh current music" route?

Let's face it.

After MP then went keyboard fusion with "Signals."

Then on "Power Windows" they used a symphony on "The Manhattan Project."

They went with female vocals on "Time Stand Still." Amiee Mann.

I believe "Presto" was slightly retro in that the guitar was back on top and the keyboards were simply atmospheric in most cases.

Of course on the song "Roll the Bones" they did that rap section.

That alone would be an interesting discussion on a separate thread. How many of you like that rap part? I never liked it. I remember hearing "Roll the Bones" on the radio back in 1991 and sometimes the radio station would actually cut out the rap part!

To each his or her own. I can live without the sign of the times gimmick!

Then it was on to "Counterparts" and the catchy "grunge" tune hit the charts, "Stick it Out." Not a bad tune but hey, that dude in the "Stick it Out" video looked like Chris Cornell! common001.gif

Anyway, I am sure you see my point.

What will the new record be like?

I can't remember who mentioned it on this Forum, but if they went for a more soulful, blues vibe that would be great!

I love the guitar work on "Ghost of a Chance!"

I remember reading years ago when Geddy was asked why RUSH doesn't do epic 20 minute songs anymore and his response was that it was more challenging to make a 5 minute song.

That is all fine and dandy and sweet as candy.

But now it's time to bring back a "LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG SONG!"

I am sure we will all like the new record. I am glad I did join this Forum so we can talk about the cd before the release and then all review after it comes out!

The bottom line here is let the record be what ever it may be.

Selfishly though???

I miss those self indulgent days of RUSH when they would go in the studio and lay down the first side of HEMISPHERES in one take!!!

True!

So personally what I want on the new record would be the last song to be a powerful, passionate, progressive 14 minute Rush Monster!

Cheers!!!

Earl

Yeah, I wish I knew why Neil would want to do that. After all Neil was going through his note book that he had over the years and found some of the "Roll the Bones" lyrics scribbled on the same pages where he wrote most of the lyrics for the "Permanent Waves" record.

"Why are we here? Because we're here, Roll the Bones. If you chose not to decide you still have made a choice."

I combined the two on purpose.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 9 2006, 12:27 AM)
When I first heard Roll the Bones I was convinced it was Neil doing it for some reason...

wacko.gif

I thought it was Alex doing the rap part...I still somehow can't quite get my head around the fact that it's Geddy. That just does not sound like him... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Maddy @ Sep 9 2006, 08:04 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 9 2006, 12:27 AM)
When I first heard Roll the Bones I was convinced it was Neil doing it for some reason...

wacko.gif

I thought it was Alex doing the rap part...I still somehow can't quite get my head around the fact that it's Geddy. That just does not sound like him... laugh.gif

It's possible that it could have been Geddy altering his voice a little, and then they edited it alot to be really different so that it didn't even sound like him anymore.

Alright then! No more lame rap talk!

Let's explore the hope and chance then that RUSH will record another instrumental for the new record!

Please don't get me wrong I do love the instrumentals that RUSH has done since YYZ but I must say the last few instrumentals are not as strong as YYZ!

With saying that, I would love to hear a new jamming intrumental cut on the new record featuring some solid guitar work from Alex. No more atmospheric keyboards. Just an all out assault attack of bass, drums and guitar!!!

Hey even though I am a drummer I seem to always want more guitar with each new release! If what Alex said was true, meaning that he is going to "let it loose on the new album" then it's time to let him shine again within an instrumental surrounding!!

Archived