Limelight by rushfanNlv and KirkDS

rushfanNlv

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Sep 8 2006, 06:36 AM)
QUOTE (_pete_ @ Sep 8 2006, 06:52 AM)
That sounded great Mike!

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks guys! smile.gif

Tom Sawyer shall be this weekends project.

Sounds great guys, anxiously awaiting Red Barchetta and Tom Sawyer!!! Keep up the good work!!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/applause-clapping_sm.gifhttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/applause-clapping_sm.gifhttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/applause-clapping_sm.gifhttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/applause-clapping_sm.gifhttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/applause-clapping_sm.gif

/screaming audience

Edited by Drumnut

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Sep 10 2006, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Sep 10 2006, 11:02 AM)
I can't get it to work  sad.gif

comp26.gif

I wanna hear it  1022.gif

Disable your pop up blocker or you can go to http://www.soundclick.com/rushfannlv and check it out there. There are three versions, onwe without a solo, one with a solo and one without drums.

Works now trink39.gif

Sounds great! 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Sep 10 2006, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Sep 10 2006, 12:27 PM)
I like the spiders one too  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks! smile.gif

Yeah I guess me secret is out now. I do play something other than Rush songs from time to time. wink.gif

Sorry unsure.gif

Did I blow the whistle?

ALL your tunes are great! smile.gif

Wow, the playing is spot on. I like the tone but it sounds kinda... iunno... like AM radio. Guitar & drums are both mixed center like it's mono. Is it that way in the original and the bass just fills it out?

I can tell that it must sound amazing in front of that amp, though. That's the 4140, right?

Did you learn the guitar parts by ear or by transcription?

QUOTE (Xabiche @ Sep 15 2006, 12:05 AM)
Wow, the playing is spot on. I like the tone but it sounds kinda... iunno... like AM radio. Guitar & drums are both mixed center like it's mono. Is it that way in the original and the bass just fills it out?

I can tell that it must sound amazing in front of that amp, though. That's the 4140, right?

I'm using a 4-track and recording in mono so yeah, the sound of the recording is a bit shitty but for what I am trying to do, my methods suit me fine. There are definitely some recording gear purchases in my future though.

I learn everything by ear and yes, the tone does sound different in front of the amp. A tube amp (in my opinion) must be cranked loud to really get warm and fuzzy and for this recording, I didn't crank the amp due to the high recording levels the volume produced. The recording sounded better at around 4 instead of 7.

The amp is a Marshall 4140 combo. I usually run in stereo via the CE-1 chorus pedal but with only one mic, I recorded this in mono.

QUOTE (RushDrummer @ Sep 15 2006, 11:04 AM)
Great stuff man.

Look forward to hearing some more.

Thanks man! I have been just dying to do the other songs. I have a new set of strings on my guitar and I'm ready to go but unfortunately, work has had me all damn week and it looks like I will be here all damn weekend too. I guess progress has no patience! cool.gif These damn hig hrise condos are not going to design themselves! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Sep 15 2006, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (Xabiche @ Sep 15 2006, 12:05 AM)
Wow, the playing is spot on.  I like the tone but it sounds kinda... iunno... like AM radio.  Guitar & drums are both mixed center like it's mono.  Is it that way in the original and the bass just fills it out? 

I can tell that it must sound amazing in front of that amp, though.  That's the 4140, right?

I'm using a 4-track and recording in mono so yeah, the sound of the recording is a bit shitty but for what I am trying to do, my methods suit me fine. There are definitely some recording gear purchases in my future though.

I learn everything by ear and yes, the tone does sound different in front of the amp. A tube amp (in my opinion) must be cranked loud to really get warm and fuzzy and for this recording, I didn't crank the amp due to the high recording levels the volume produced. The recording sounded better at around 4 instead of 7.

The amp is a Marshall 4140 combo. I usually run in stereo via the CE-1 chorus pedal but with only one mic, I recorded this in mono.

Yeah, but couldn't you take two versions of the same mono track and pan them to each side, like 75% each, or maybe 60/40? That would fill up the space a lot. I'm guessing that Alex did multiple tracks on it but I haven't gone back to listen to how they're panned in the stereo space.

Man, after listening to your version again I've got to say that it sounds like you've totally nailed Alex's parts & the style. That's awesome. I can only hope to do that one day smile.gif

Edited by Xabiche

QUOTE (Xabiche @ Sep 18 2006, 03:56 PM)
  Yeah, but couldn't you take two versions of the same mono track and pan them to each side, like 75% each, or maybe 60/40?  That would fill up the space a lot.  I'm guessing that Alex did multiple tracks on it but I haven't gone back to listen to how they're panned in the stereo space.

Man, after listening to your version again I've got to say that it sounds like you've totally nailed Alex's parts & the style.  That's awesome.  I can only hope to do that one day smile.gif

That's exactly what Alex does.

He almost always doubles his parts and pans them hard left & right. On many he songs he would use different guitars to double the parts. For example, Fly By Night's rhythm guitar track is a Les Paul and a Telecaster. He uses a Tele do double parts quite a bit. He said it gives the guitar part a nice high end sparkle.

Listen to the tracks we did in the Digital Men link in my signature. On YYZ, Tom Sawyer, Xanadu, and Red Barchetta I doubled and triple tracked most of the guitars. For some reason I never doubled Limelight. I should have but I liked the way it came out so I never messed with it.

Edited by _pete_