Fates Warning

I really loved them for a short time (Awaken the Gaurdian & No Exit).

very good live btw.

There earlier stuff is ok, and their later stuff is ok too, but those two in particular are awesome.

Interestingly, two different singers.

Everything before these two (in my opinion) is kinda a "junior varsity" attempt, they really didn't put the pieces together.

After these two, they changed in order to try to get more exposure IMO.

Their most recent stuff is the hardest for me to get into.

ANYONE into them?

I have some of their discs and one of their DVD's. A Pleasant Shade of Gray was pretty cool stuff. My fav, though, is an album entitled: Parallels. There's a song on it called "Leave The Past Behind", which is my fav by those guys. It sounds kinda like Rush with the guitar sound. It has a really cool feel, if you ever gat a chance to listen to it. I saw them play live a couple years ago at a small venue. Those guys are pretty damn talented players, but their sound is a bit too dark IMHO...

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jul 24 2006, 07:25 AM)
I have " a pleasant shade of grey" ( i think thats the title) . I listened to it quite a bit, but it never really "clicked" for me.

Tangdog: Ozric Tentacles are really cool -really tripped out stuff. They played in Detroit a few years ago and the flute player got his custom flute ripped off during the show and became utterly furious. Another black eye for Detroit...

eh.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Jul 24 2006, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Jul 24 2006, 07:25 AM)
I have " a pleasant shade of grey" ( i think thats the title) . I listened to it quite a bit, but it never really "clicked" for me.

Tangdog: Ozric Tentacles are really cool -really tripped out stuff. They played in Detroit a few years ago and the flute player got his custom flute ripped off during the show and became utterly furious. Another black eye for Detroit...

eh.gif

Cool man, glad to hear that you have seen the Tentacles. Like you said, talk about tripping! Its amazing the light and effects show they put on for being on such a low budget.

tangdog

I think I've said it before but I have everything by the Ozrics and have been lucky enough to see them live. Very cool band.

I have to say that if music was what I did for a living I would want to create something like that.

so you like rush, and YUENGLING and the Ozrics?

Stop COPYING ME!

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jul 25 2006, 09:27 AM)
tangdog
I think I've said it before but I have everything by the Ozrics and have been lucky enough to see them live. Very cool band.
I have to say that if music was what I did for a living I would want to create something like that.
so you like rush, and YUENGLING and the Ozrics?
Stop COPYING ME!

I should start partying with you !

I've seen Ozrics 3 times and they are one of my top 5 bands of all time. I got most of their studio stuff, but am missing rarities like Vitamin Enhanced. I occasionally post on the Rubbish Records messageboard, which seems to be the most active Ozrics and related music board I can find, under the name of Curious Cornelius. I am really bummed that they did not play any southeast dates in the last tour they wrapped up about 2 weeks ago. The new disc is out soon though, and the songs and samples I have heard thus far are fantastic.

I keep planning to start an Offical Ozrics thread here but haven't done so just yet.

Have you checked out Dream Machine yet?

do so

here

I tried it. Not quite the Ozrics to me, 3 songs sounded very similar, but I still respect what they are doing. I wouldn't mind hearing more though.

Thanks, I'm always searching for new stuff.

and stop w/ the Yuengling torture!

Did you see that its the old ozrics flutist and keyboardist ( John and Joie ) playing? You are right though, its not ozrics. Its a bit mellow for my tastes but is kinda reminiscent of some the older OT material.

Are you a Steve Vai fan as well?

yes I noticed. I looked that site up and down.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather listem to that than most of the radio!

Sorry, but I am NOT a steve vai fan. Too much guitar out front from what I've heard.

Honestly, that'd be my complaint about the Ozrics too, if I had one.Sometimes I just cant take that guitar.

Eric Johnson-Yes, Vai-no.

sorry.

I am a big Vai fan, and have been since 1989, long before I was aware that the Tentacles existed. I asked because both Vai and OT, IMHO are similar in terms of instrumental musical intensity. As it turns out Vai is Ed Wynnes favorite player as well.

I learned yesterday that eric johnson is playing here in town. This tour is the first in a long time for EJ with tommy taylor and roscoe beck, who recorded Tones and Ah Via Musicom with EJ. catch it if you can. ( or want to)

Archived