Willy Wonka 2112

rushisaband

Someone posted the Willy Wonka/2112 synch-up on YouTube

For background go here: http://home.i1.net/~bytor/willywonka2112.html

Personally I don't see what the big deal is, but watching part of Willy Wonka while listening to 2112 ain't such a bad way to kill 20 minutes. tongue.gif

Didnt watch the entire thing. just up to Discovery, then when Geddy started singing, i fastforwarded to Soliloquy (the end, and watched a bit of the guitar solo. When Agustus fell in the chocolate river, i stopped it).

I personally didnt think any of it sinched up. the only thing that sortof sinched up was:

Discovery: You can hear a waterfall in the background while in the movie theres the Chocolate Waterfall/river.

I saw the "Dark Side of the Rainbow" and it didnt sinch up. but i think the person did it wrong, because he just started it at the beginning of the movie, whilst this one needed to be started part way through.

I personally think that anyone who will try and sit down to listen to an album and a movie at the same time and think they sinch up is a complete wackjob.

QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Jul 13 2006, 09:59 AM)
I personally think that anyone who will try and sit down to listen to an album and a movie at the same time and think they sinch up is a complete wackjob.

...and/or on some sort of recreational drug making them imagine that it synchs up in all kinds of cool ways. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I don't think you have to be a "wackjob" or "on recreational drugs" to see moments where the film(s) and the music are synchronous to one another. These are mere entertainments, and they're satisfying at that level.

The wackjobs and the drug users are the ones who believe the musicians intentionally wrote the music to fit the film. Yes, there actually were people who believed Roger Waters must've carefully watched "The Wizard of Oz" and crafted the music of Dark Side of the Moon to fit it! These folks were convinced that there were too many synchronous moments between music and film to be coincidental. They're the "wackjobs" and recreational drug users!

There are actually quite a few syncs... I found it very cool to watch. The best are when Charlie is signing his name as Geddy sings "And the meek shall inherit the earth."

While there are a lot of little parts here and there, if you didn't watch the ending then you missed the best part. The timing of the ending is quite amazing.

Of course it really helps if 1) you know the movie fairly well and 2) you know 2112 well.

Some little parts I can recall off the top of my head... faster music when Augustus falls in... when his mom is ushered away... a guitar "flare" when Violet turns to Veruca and yells at her...

I found it very enjoyable, and I've been drug free for 20 years.

I would recommend starting the music seperately and get that sync as it gets hard to hear it on the video.

• Like 1

I think it's entertaining. Some of my favorite "synch" moments (there are others):

1. "Temples of Syrinx" starts up hard and strong as Wonka skips away from the "contract" the kids have signed. Wonka's skipping and the music seemed synched.

2. The waterfall of "Discovery" matches the chocolate waterfall in the film. The synch's creator actually matched this moment up beforehand, and then worked backwards to find where to begin the synching.

3. The instrumental fury of "Grand Finale" fits nicely with the psychedelic boat ride through the tunnel.

4. The guitar part of "Passage to Bangkok" fits Wonka's peddling on a stationary bicycle.

5. The soft and wistful "Tears" fits the scene where Charlie and Grandpa Joe float amongst the bubbles.

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 1

QUOTE (BigAlH @ Jul 13 2006, 02:42 PM)
Of course it really helps if 1) you know the movie fairly well and 2) you know 2112 well. 

and 3) have way too much time on your hands tongue.gif

(I've actually done the willy wonka thing once a long time ago when I first heard about it, and yes I saw some vague items in synch, yes I was drug-free, I thought it was mildly amusing but when it was over I decided it was a waste of my time, but to each their own wink.gif )

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jul 13 2006, 02:12 PM)
3) have way too much time on your hands tongue.gif

Well... I'm at work, between meetings waiting for some builds to finish up. It was either that or stand around the coffee station shooting the breeze. Since this involved Rush it was actually a better use of my time considering the circumstances. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jul 13 2006, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (BigAlH @ Jul 13 2006, 02:42 PM)

and 3) have way too much time on your hands tongue.gif

I dunno... forty-five minutes isn't a lot of time to waste for a mild amusement. And it's not like you wouldn't already spend 45 minutes listening to 2112 by itself.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 13 2006, 04:29 PM)
I dunno... forty-five minutes isn't a lot of time to waste for a mild amusement.  And it's not like you wouldn't already spend 45 minutes listening to 2112 by itself.

I squeeze most of my music listening into my commute to/from work. My household duties (5-year-old kid, groundskeeper, handyman, etc) pretty much take up most of my free time. smile.gif

I've never seen most of Willy Wonka - that movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid...

It didn't seem to synch up that well to me, but hey, there are much, much worse things to listen to biggrin.gif .

QUOTE (Kid_Gloves @ Jul 13 2006, 10:07 PM)
I watched it for a few minutes...but it didn't really go together. confused13.gif

Doesn't really work for just a few minutes. One thing to keep in mind is that the two weren't written to go together, so it's not going to sync all the time. But the few times it does it's pretty cool.

The ending is the best part.

Wow that was crazy. biggrin.gif

I just watched this over on RIAB and figured I'd do a search before I made a thread, and sure enough. laugh.gif

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is the bit where Willy is welcoming the kids and parents, it seems to sync perfectly. Also when the hangar grabs Charlie's grandpa's hat. ohmy.gif laugh.gif

I think the creator was huffing Scotchgard when he got the idea for this.

Willy Wonka 2112 is amazing. You can find lots of information about it as well as a high-quality video sync at the link below. The video has the whole 2112 album and not just the song 2112. Check it out.

https://www.brainattic.org/featured/2021/11/02/willy-wonka-rush-2112/

:ebert:

I thinks it's good fun.

• Like 1