2006 U.S. Open

Test4VitalSigns

The Open is well under way and at the moment Colin Montgomery is the leader at -1 after his finished round (Ryan Baca is also -1 but he just finished his 1st hole). Tons of players are E and one back and a lot are still playing...Good to see Tiger back out there as he plays in his first tourney since his dad passed on...he is off to a shaky start but just played 6 holes and is 3 over....The show's just begun so let's hope for an exciting finish at the Open this Father's Day weekend! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 15 2006, 04:05 PM)
The Open is well under way and at the moment Colin Montgomery is the leader at -1 after his finished round (Ryan Baca is also -1 but he just finished his 1st hole). Tons of players are E and one back and a lot are still playing...Good to see Tiger back out there as he plays in his first tourney since his dad passed on...he is off to a shaky start but just played 6 holes and is 3 over....The show's just begun so let's hope for an exciting finish at the Open this Father's Day weekend! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm hoping for Tiger to turn it around. My father saw him when he was a kid & said...'that is going to be one great golfer.'

Top 10 after Friday:

1 T2 Steve Stricker -1 F 70 69 - - 139

2 1 Colin Montgomerie E F 69 71 -140

T3 T7 Kenneth Ferrie +1 F 71 70 - - 141

T3 T7 Geoff Ogilvy +1 F 71 70 - - 141

T5 T2 Jim Furyk +2 F 70 72 - - 142

T5 T28 Padraig Harrington +2 F 73 69 - 142

T7 T7 Graeme McDowell +3 F 71 72 - - 143

T7 T2 Phil Mickelson +3 F 70 73 - - 143

T7 T52 Arron Oberholser +3 F 75 68 - -143

T7 T15 Jason Dufner +3 F 72 71 - - 143

Phil is 4 shots back.

No course personifies the Open like Winged Foot. Test mentioned the massacre in '74. The one I remember watching was when Fuzzy Zoeller beat Greg Norman in the 18 hole playoff about 20 years ago. Norman made an amazing putt to tie for the lead on Sunday, and Fuzzy waved his white towel in mock surrender. The playoff itself wasn't too exciting, though. Irwin played himself out of contention that weekend, I remember. There was a very tricky 18 inch putt that he missed, I remember. (Don't laugh. That putt had a ton of break in it.) I think that was most symbolic of his weekend.

I think I'll be ordering Pizza and watching about 12 hours of US Open Golf this weekend.. Oh, and I'll be screaming for that Pizza and Ice Cream eating "Phil Mickelson" to win his 3rd Major in a row...

biggrin.gif

Phil just birdied the 16th to move to +2 and he's about to be in the lead as everyone in front of him is falling back. If he's in the final group tomorrow, he will win this thing!!!

trink39.gif

I haven't seen Phil Mickelson for a wee while I think he has been overdosing on Pizza.

Great final day tomorrow.

How difficult was the 18th today?

T1 Kenneth Ferrie GBR +2 F

T1 Phil Mickelson USA +2 F

3 Geoff Ogilvy AUS +3 F

T4 Vijay Singh FIJ +5 F

T4 Ian Poulter GBR +5 F

T4 Colin Montgomerie GBR +5 F

T4 Steve Stricker USA +5 F

T8 Jim Furyk USA +6 F

T8 Mike Weir CAN +6 F

T8 Padraig Harrington IRL +6 F

That's the leader board going into Sunday. Mickelson is in a great spot, but there are enough other good players lurking right now. Should be a great finish tomorrow.

Winged Foot is really shining this week.

Monty and Phil tied with 2 holes to go. The only other player that has a chance is Geoff Ogilvy.

Monty in the fairway at 18, Phil in trouble at 17. This will be some finish...!!

This is unbelievable! They are all leaking oil coming in. Phil keeps hitting driver, and he's only hit 2 fairways all day.. Monty doubled the 18th with a horrible 2nd shot from the fairway.

Ogilvy posts +5. Phil at +4 and in big trouble at 18.

Archived