Big Ben in Motorcycle Crash

Papa Emeritus

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 14 2006, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jun 14 2006, 02:41 PM)
* fractures to upper & lower jaws

* mild concussion

* fractured nose

* fractured facial bones

* multiple head lacerations

*multiple abrasions & contusions

* lost 2 teeth

*chipped several teeth

* no evidence of structural damage to knees

* CT scan of brain showed no injury

* fractures to upper & lower jaws

$18,000

* mild concussion

$1500.00

* fractured nose

$6,000

* fractured facial bones

$12,000

* multiple head lacerations

$2000

*multiple abrasions & contusions

$2000

* lost 2 teeth

$4000

*chipped several teeth

$4000

* no evidence of structural damage to knees

* CT scan of brain showed no injury

$3000

Wearing a stupid helmet "PRICELESS"

While i get the joke ( and rofl3.gif BTW) I gotta say that the most expensive helmet I know of is a Schubert, not sure if its the C2 or S2 but thats only like $600. Most of that is because its also the quietest helemt (not saying much there) on the market, nothing to do with its safety or reliability.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 13 2006, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 13 2006, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 12 2006, 10:33 PM)
Sheesh!!!

Where do I begin to say how this easily avoidable accident is sheer stupidity in so many ways? confused13.gif

Did Ben ever make the wrong "choice."

Way to go Pennsylvania. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/tinfoil.gif I hate this place. (Yes unfortunately, I live in PA)

Its not PA's responsibility to prevent people from being stupid. He didnt hurt anyone else, only himself by being stupid.

It is however, irresponsible of law makers in PA to remove the "mandatory" from state helmet laws. Most of the injuries Ben suffered could have been avoided if he had been wearing a helmet no matter who was at fault. I think it's kind of strange that a man who makes a living playing "a child's game" that requires him to wear a helmet would not wear one while riding a motorcycle. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

To be devil's advocate though - the state didnt make him not wear a helmet. personal responsibility. He took the chance, and he lost. If youre dumb enough not to wear a helmet, you are taking the risk yourself. If you need the state and cops make you put a helmet on, then youre an idiot. If you feel its a reasonable risk given your enjoyment of riding a bike wihtout a helmet, then I say you should be free to ride without one.

Roethlisberger Is Released From Hospital

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been released from a Pittsburgh hospital.

Doctors had said after Roethlisberger's surgery Monday that he would be hospitalized three to five days.
A hospital official tells The Associated Press that Roethlisberger is in fair condition this morning.

Roethlisberger's broken jaw did not have to be wired shut, a factor that could hasten his recovery from his scary motorcycle accident, and the Steelers quarterback got out of his hospital bed Wednesday to talk with teammates and family members.

Roethlisberger's doctors said a second round of tests again showed no brain injuries, although he has a concussion. Initial CT scans taken shortly after Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car at a busy Pittsburgh intersection Monday morning also showed no apparent problems.

"The results of this second and final scan confirm our previous findings that Mr. Roethlisberger has suffered no brain injury," said Dr. Larry Jones, the chief of Mercy Hospital's trauma unit.

www.breitbart.com

Big Ben Releases Statement, Will Wear Helmet

"In the past few days, I have gained new perspective on life. By the grace of God, I am fortunate to be alive, surrounded by loved ones and lifted by the prayers and support of so many. I am sorry for any anxiety and concern my actions have caused others, specifically my family, the Steelers organization, my teammates and our fans.

"I recognize that I have a responsibility to safeguard my health in the offseason so I can continue to lead our team effectively. I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws. I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me. If I ever ride again, it certainly will be with a helmet."

kdka.com

Ben Roethlisberger should become the poster child for re-instating the helmet law in Pennsylvania.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 15 2006, 08:54 AM)

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been released from a Pittsburgh hospital.

Doctors had said after Roethlisberger's surgery Monday that he would be hospitalized three to five days.
A hospital official tells The Associated Press that Roethlisberger is in fair condition this morning.

Roethlisberger's broken jaw did not have to be wired shut, a factor that could hasten his recovery from his scary motorcycle accident, and the Steelers quarterback got out of his hospital bed Wednesday to talk with teammates and family members.

Roethlisberger's doctors said a second round of tests again showed no brain injuries, although he has a concussion. Initial CT scans taken shortly after Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car at a busy Pittsburgh intersection Monday morning also showed no apparent problems.

"The results of this second and final scan confirm our previous findings that Mr. Roethlisberger has suffered no brain injury," said Dr. Larry Jones, the chief of Mercy Hospital's trauma unit.

Whoa, hold on just a minute...no evidnece of a brain injury?? That must mean that they found evidence of a brain.... unsure.gif confused13.gif

I would have thought for sure... no.gif

I read about this the other day and it's terrible that all he had to do was put on a helmet and avoid most of his injuries. I ride every day in Los Angeles traffic and no way would I ride without one. I use a FOX V-3 and it will save my life. Full face protection is the only way to go. Forget about looking cool by wearing an ostrich egg like some bikers, it will blast your brain all over the road. Cops should wear full face too I don't no why it is not mandatory what with all the high speed chases here. Ride, Race, Live.TCL boarder.gif

QUOTE (Want2bLikeBrutus @ Jun 15 2006, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 15 2006, 08:54 AM)

Whoa, hold on just a minute...no evidnece of a brain injury?? That must mean that they found evidence of a brain.... unsure.gif confused13.gif

I would have thought for sure... no.gif

CT scans of his brain revealed nothing! wacko.gif

QUOTE (Want2bLikeBrutus @ Jun 12 2006, 08:04 PM)
Young professional athlete

+

Just coming off the emergent year of your career

+

A majorly over powered motorcycle (Hyabusa I heard on EPSN) that should require a special license and training course

+

NO HELMET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (OMG...just think about your endorsements dude!!)

=

Completely predicatble outcome.

Fortunately everything I've seen and read so far, it sounds like he got off pretty easy ie no traumatic head injury that will leave him a vegetabble with a STEEL plate in his head instead of a STEELERS helmet on it.

ESPN was running an old interview with him about riding w/o a helmet and he just kept spewing all the same crap I've been hearing and reading on bike boards for years now. "It's not the law so its ok", "I feel freer", "I'm not out doing stunts and tricks on a sports bike" (I'm paraphrasing a bit despite the quotation marks).

I'm a rider. I've spent almost $800 on protective gear. Full face helmet, Leather jacket with infused ceramic, full fingered gloves with palm and knuckle padding, denim jeans with kevlar padded butt and knees that you can insert full armor pads into, perforated padded summer jacket. And all of this goes on if I'm just going down the road 5 miles to get gas in the bike. If my number is up, all this isnt going to make a hill of beans difference, but I'm not going to make it easy. I want every chance to get through the worst of crashes, be able to stand up look at the bike and say "well shouldnt have done that. Won't make that mistake again" pick up the bike and go on down the road.

There is an inherent risk everytime we leave the driveway whether it be on 2 or 4 wheels. Do you disable the ABS, airbags and remove the seatbelts from your cars?? I dont think so. Thats what not wearing the proper protective gear on a bike amounts to. It doesnt eliminate the risk, just improves your chances for walking away from an accident with nothing worse than bumps and bruises.

Just today I'm on way to the grocery store and big box hardware store. Since its the first warm and sunny day in about a week, I wanted to take the bike but I didnt think I could fit the wet/dry vac and a weeks worth of groceries so I took the "cage". I come off the back road onto the state highway and some kid goes infront of me on a crotch rocket in I kid you not, shorts, sandals and a sleeveless sweatshirt. Oh yeah and a helmet since VT has a helmet law.

Hey I'm glad it sounds like Ben is gonna be ok and be able to play. Assuming Cower doesnt break both his arms and legs for pulling such a dumb ass stunt. Anyone got doug Fluties number???

Awesome!!!

Great to see more fellow riders!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived