How can i easily record my drums

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Jun 6 2006, 09:19 PM)
I have a mac with garage band, two mics, no stands or anything. What's a profcient way for me to record my drums.

record from above a little away & maybe behind....you have to play around (sound check!!) once you have that, you can check it with the rest of the band....The best for for one mic with my drums was above about 3 feet in front & 5 feet above...It wasn't much but it worked!

Edited by Der Trommler

You may want to get a couple mic stands and a small mixer (you may be able to get these for less than $100). Your Mac can take a stereo mini input. Set the mics up about 5 feet apart (maybe a bit more, give or take) and about 3 or 4 feet in front of your kit. Set the height at just above your tom height. Run the mics to a mixer and pan one hard left and the other hard right. Take the output of the mixer and run it to the line in on the Mac. This should give you an adequate sound to record. Just be aware of the levels and make sure they are even and aren't overloading. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 7 2006, 01:39 AM)
You may want to get a couple mic stands and a small mixer (you may be able to get these for less than $100). Your Mac can take a stereo mini input. Set the mics up about 5 feet apart (maybe a bit more, give or take) and about 3 or 4 feet in front of your kit. Set the height at just above your tom height. Run the mics to a mixer and pan one hard left and the other hard right. Take the output of the mixer and run it to the line in on the Mac. This should give you an adequate sound to record. Just be aware of the levels and make sure they are even and aren't overloading.

Are you a drummer or record? Obviously, you've done this before...

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 7 2006, 02:44 PM)
You may want to get a couple mic stands and a small mixer (you may be able to get these for less than $100). Your Mac can take a stereo mini input. Set the mics up about 5 feet apart (maybe a bit more, give or take) and about 3 or 4 feet in front of your kit. Set the height at just above your tom height. Run the mics to a mixer and pan one hard left and the other hard right. Take the output of the mixer and run it to the line in on the Mac. This should give you an adequate sound to record. Just be aware of the levels and make sure they are even and aren't overloading.

He's a drummer, AND does a great Geddy Lee (bass, keyboards, vocals)! Add to that the fact that he's a gear hound, and that's why his name is on this forum. yes.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 6 2006, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Jun 6 2006, 09:19 PM)
I have a mac with garage band, two mics, no stands or anything. What's a profcient way for me to record my drums.

record from above a little away & maybe behind....you have to play around (sound check!!) once you have that, you can check it with the rest of the band....The best for for one mic with my drums was above about 3 feet in front & 5 feet above...It wasn't much but it worked!

This definately improved the quality, it's just dont very loud. It kinda sounds like theres are blanket over my speakers. Im gonna keep experimenting with this one mic for now.

Thanks!

Edited by MrMiltonBanana

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Jun 7 2006, 03:15 PM)
This definately improved the quality, it's just dont very loud. It kinda sounds like theres are blanket over my speakers. Im gonna keep experimenting with this one mic for now.

Thanks!

You will get more fidelity with two mics panned stereo. What is your signal path?

If you have some EQ in Garage Band (I don't have it on my Macs) try adjusting in small doses, no more than 1.5 db at a time in either direction. You'd be surprised how much you can clean up a drum sound by "notching" or dipping frequencies around 250 Hz. The "mud" or blanket you are hearing is more than likely in this frequency range. Sometimes an EQ reduction is more powerful and useful than a boost.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 7 2006, 03:01 PM)

He's a drummer, AND does a great Geddy Lee (bass, keyboards, vocals)! Add to that the fact that he's a gear hound, and that's why his name is on this forum. yes.gif

He's much cuter than Geddy, too.

(Sorry, Ged gals wink.gif )

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 7 2006, 11:44 AM)

Take a listen to Jacob's Ladder in my signature. I played all of the parts myself! pokey.gif

Aside from all of that I am video game sound designer so I engineer some sort of audio everyday.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 7 2006, 08:19 PM)

I don't think that's much of a stretch, but thank you anyway.

You're not so bad yourself!

wub.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 7 2006, 10:22 PM)

wub.gif

I said MUCH!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 7 2006, 07:23 PM)

wub.gif

I said MUCH!

tongue.gif

doh.gif Get a room you two! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 7 2006, 10:29 PM)

wub.gif

I said MUCH!

tongue.gif

Oh, puhleeze. tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 7 2006, 04:01 PM)

Cool...Luckily, I have no $$$ cause I'd be a gear junky too laugh.gif

I used to sell musical equipment so I had to know the latest. But lately, I haven't been on the cutting edge....Been away from it for a year now.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone but I sold a PRS guitar to Jodi Messina. LSM gets so annoyed when I say that...hehehehe ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 7 2006, 08:29 PM)

wub.gif

I said MUCH!

tongue.gif

Gladly! yes.gif

beathorse.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 7 2006, 11:16 PM)
QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Jun 7 2006, 03:15 PM)

Thanks!

You will get more fidelity with two mics panned stereo. What is your signal path?

If you have some EQ in Garage Band (I don't have it on my Macs) try adjusting in small doses, no more than 1.5 db at a time in either direction. You'd be surprised how much you can clean up a drum sound by "notching" or dipping frequencies around 250 Hz. The "mud" or blanket you are hearing is more than likely in this frequency range. Sometimes an EQ reduction is more powerful and useful than a boost.

Yeah, i've been fidling with the positioning of the mic and the eq. What do you mean by signal path?

Im a n00b.

Signal path is from the source sound (your drums) to everything in the signal chain to the recorder; mics, mixer, effects, recorder, etc. Basically I'm asking what mics you are using and how you are getting the sound into Garage Band.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 8 2006, 05:55 PM)
Signal path is from the source sound (your drums) to everything in the signal chain to the recorder; mics, mixer, effects, recorder, etc. Basically I'm asking what mics you are using and how you are getting the sound into Garage Band.

You good with words! biggrin.gif

I was trying to remember what signal path realy meant...It's been awhile

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 8 2006, 05:55 PM)

Well, the computer has an audio imput. It's small, so i have an adapter (made for macs) that makes it a 1/4 inch jack. Then, I plug my microphone in to that. Here's what the microphone says

TEV Uni-Directional Dynamic Microphone.

YOu may know what that is.

Ok. That's part of your problem right there. You are taking a mono signal (a single mic) and inserting it into a stereo input. You said you have two mics. If you can find a Y adaptor that will take two 1/4 inch inputs then you should do that with the two mics (if no 1/4 inch Y to mini stereo is available get an RCA to mini stereo cable and two 1/4 inch female to RCA female adaptors for the same functionality).

Another problem is the mic outputs at one level and the input for the computer is another level. A small mixer will do two things. It will convert the mic level to a line level and give you better overall control of the mic input gain. Also two mics panned stereo, even if they are different will give you a better sound than just the one.

The mic seems to be quite cheap, not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. I used to record my kit with a RadioShack omni directional $10 job that did me well until I knew better. Sure, it never sounded like a $4000 Neumann microphone but it worked in a pinch.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 8 2006, 07:37 PM)
Ok. That's part of your problem right there. You are taking a mono signal (a single mic) and inserting it into a stereo input. You said you have two mics. If you can find a Y adaptor that will take two 1/4 inch inputs then you should do that with the two mics (if no 1/4 inch Y to mini stereo is available get an RCA to mini stereo cable and two 1/4 inch female to RCA female adaptors for the same functionality).

Another problem is the mic outputs at one level and the input for the computer is another level. A small mixer will do two things. It will convert the mic level to a line level and give you better overall control of the mic input gain. Also two mics panned stereo, even if they are different will give you a better sound than just the one.

The mic seems to be quite cheap, not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. I used to record my kit with a RadioShack omni directional $10 job that did me well until I knew better. Sure, it never sounded like a $4000 Neumann microphone but it worked in a pinch.

You can use a Behringer mixer. They're cheap but work very well. I have a slightly larger one that cost me about $70....The small ones go for about $30-$40....

My recomendation is to visit your local el-cheapo electronics and hardware store (NOT radio shack) and pick up two more mics. My brothers and I got four identical no-name mics for $12.99 each (the name was something like 2000 Audio, don't laugh, the bodies were aluminum and they sound pretty amazing for the money) and set them up around my drumset. Two hanging from the ceiling above it, one mounted just off the top of the snare (gives a great snare sound, but it can be a little hard to control hi-hat volume,) and one just poking in the opening of my bass drum head. The downside is that that many mics make a mixer a requirement, not an option, but the result is pretty professional sounding for the investment. If I had somewhere to host an mp3 I'd give you a sample of a song we recorded.

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 19 2006, 10:31 AM)
If I had somewhere to host an mp3 I'd give you a sample of a song we recorded.

RD, go to my site (in my signature mikekreidel.com), you can upload your files there.

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 21 2006, 08:19 PM)
Done. It's uploaded as Numatic Lemur - East By Northwest.mp3