King Crimson-

Cygnalschick

Okay I know many of you are fans, and I was introduced to these guys less than a year ago, and of course I was blown away trink39.gif

So in my endeavor to hear all the great bands that I can during my lifetime tongue.gif , today I picked up "Discipline" and I love it 1022.gif

I'm going to get more of their stuff, so where should I start????

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Well, in this case, it's really hard to point out one KC album to start from as their work is as if divided into four different stages: 1969-1979, 1980-1990 and 1991-1999 and 2000-now. My favourite KC release is definitely "Red" from 1974, then comes "Thrak", "Discipline" and so on...

The thing is not to take any of their works as kind of a representative of their total output. I would suggest you should get familiarized with all the stages of their carrer of which I like the second one best.

Good luck in your explorations! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Mar 28 2006, 09:54 PM)
Okay I know many of you are fans, and I was introduced to these guys less than a year ago, and of course I was blown away trink39.gif

So in my endeavor to hear all the great bands that I can during my lifetime tongue.gif , today I picked up "Discipline" and I love it 1022.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

frouse is correct. There are several periods. Between 1969 & 1974 there were numerous lineups, and their sound varied wildly. The only original member by 1973 (maybe even before that) was Robert Fripp. My favorite eras were 73/74 and 81-84 all featuring Bill Bruford on drums. The 73/74 era had John Wetton (played later with U.K. and Asia) on Bass/Vocals). The 81-84 era got even more interesting with the addition of Adrian Belew on Guitar/Vocals(occasionally drums) and Tony Levin on Bass/Chapman Stick.

May fav's:

CD's: Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Red, Discipline & Three of a Perfect Pair

DVD: "Neal and Jack and Me" (only 18 bucks and includes two concerts from '82/'84. An incredible value!!!)

If you don't want to invest in a buch on CD's yet, I think getting the DVD will expose you to some of their best work and you can see what you favor to aid in your future buying decisions.

Their work from 1994-present is awesome, too, but they lost Tony Levin and Bruford after a while, which was depressing... fists crying.gif

Of course their first album from 1969, In the Court of the Crimson King, is an absolute must-have classic:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/crimson1.jpg

But for me, their true masterpiece was their third album from 1970, Liazrd:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/crimson2.jpg

QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Mar 28 2006, 06:54 PM)
Okay I know many of you are fans, and I was introduced to these guys less than a year ago, and of course I was blown away  trink39.gif

So in my endeavor to hear all the great bands that I can during my lifetime  tongue.gif , today I picked up "Discipline" and I love it  1022.gif

trink39.gif  trink39.gif  trink39.gif

Not only was each era of King Crimson vastly different, but in the era I'm the most familiar with (1969-1974), each album could be, and usually was VERY different from the last. This is because Robert Fripp just could not keep the same line-up together for very.

There was the brilliant debut album In the Court of the Crimson King in 1969. The follow-up, 1970's In the Wake of Poseidon, features pretty much the same line-up, but that's because the album is mostly made up of leftover tracks from the first album sessions. The album suffers accordingly, but it's still a very good album and well worth owning. Just don't expect quite the magic of the 1st album.

1970's Lizard is very different with a lot of innovation, very varied instrumentation, a jazzy feel, extreme musical complexity, very surreal lyrics, and it boasts Jon Anderson of Yes singing in one part of the Lizard suite. The line-up changed yet again for 1971's Islands, and boy this album is awful when compared to Lizard. I suppose if you were to judge it on its own merits, you might think it was a pretty good album, as long as you can ignore what came before.

1973's Larks Tongues In Aspic was again a vastly different shift in sound. Now in place was a harder-edged version of the band, but still a great album and considered a classic. 1974's Starless and Bible Black featured pretty much the same line-up as Larks Tongues, but while very good, is less consistent. 1974's Red is again considered a classic, and is a great album, but is harder and darker than even Larks Tongues. A great album, but you'll be in for a shock if you're expecting them to sound like they did in 1969 or 1970.

I've heard a couple of albums from their next incarnation (1981-1984). By then it was again a vastly different, more modern sound from their earlier works with a completely new band (save the ever-present Robert Fripp). This era doesn't do too a lot for me personally, but a lot of people really love that era. Since you love Discipline, then obviously you dig this era. Be prepared when you journey to their earlier incarnations though. It's a vastly different band.

You've started an immense journey, one that will frustrate you, but very worthwhile.

I agree with Goob, Lizard is a wonderful piece of work, very underrated.

If I had to pick 5 albums for you to buy they would be:

In The Court of The Crimson King

Lizard

Larks Tongue In Aspic

RED - Awesome, mind-blowing, mood altering album

Three Of A Perfect Pair

There's an abundance of live albums out there, all lovingly put together by Mr. Fripp - the best one is Absent Lovers, from an 84 gig, I think.

However avoid, Earthbound, their first live album.

2 box sets were released in 04 and 05, covering 69-74 and 81-03(forgive me if the dates are wrong). Excellent also, with some some rare live tracks.

Then start listening to the "projeKts", welcome to the other side.......

Awesome! Thank you guys for your elaborate explanations about the band; it definitely sounds like an ideal group for me to get into. I'm thinking I'll purchase "Red" next 1022.gif

QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Mar 29 2006, 11:27 AM)
Awesome! Thank you guys for your elaborate explanations about the band; it definitely sounds like an ideal group for me to get into. I'm thinking I'll purchase "Red" next 1022.gif

Great choice! biggrin.gif

Get ready to hear one of the most fantastic piece of work in all music history! Hard opening title track has very little to do with their 'symphonic' era, Fallen Angel-wonderful performance especially by John Wetton (vocals), One More Red Nightmare - hard wah on the bass (haha). That really made a huge impression on me! Riveting soprano-sax solos. And, finally, what comes as an overwhelming display of the band's genius - "Providence" followed by a breathtaking "Starless"...

Hope you'll love it, but mind you, do penetrate all the layers the music offers!!!

By the way, did you ever hear The Flower Kings? Highly recommend!

Just one more thought> Yeah, I agree with the Masked Drummer in that when Bill and Tony left the line-up, it was a big loss for KC. Anyway, it's good they joined forces again as B.L.U.E with Chris Botti and awesome David Torrrrrn!

QUOTE (frouse @ Mar 29 2006, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Mar 29 2006, 11:27 AM)
Awesome! Thank you guys for your elaborate explanations about the band; it definitely sounds like an ideal group for me to get into. I'm thinking I'll purchase "Red" next  1022.gif

Great choice! biggrin.gif

Get ready to hear one of the most fantastic piece of work in all music history! Hard opening title track has very little to do with their 'symphonic' era, Fallen Angel-wonderful performance especially by John Wetton (vocals), One More Red Nightmare - hard wah on the bass (haha). That really made a huge impression on me! Riveting soprano-sax solos. And, finally, what comes as an overwhelming display of the band's genius - "Providence" followed by a breathtaking "Starless"...

Hope you'll love it, but mind you, do penetrate all the layers the music offers!!!

By the way, did you ever hear The Flower Kings? Highly recommend!

I'll check out the Flower Kings 1022.gif

IMO king crimson are the most talented and amazing band ever.

In the court of the crimson king is without a doubt the best album in the world, robert fripp is god.

start with-in the court,and other great albums are:larks tongues in aspic,lizard,in the wake of posedions and red.

for the more newer king crimson pick Thrak

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 29 2006, 09:59 AM)
You've started an immense journey, one that will frustrate you, but very worthwhile.

I agree with Goob, Lizard is a wonderful piece of work, very underrated.
If I had to pick 5 albums for you to buy they would be:
In The Court of The Crimson King
Lizard
Larks Tongue In Aspic
RED - Awesome, mind-blowing, mood altering album
Three Of A Perfect Pair

There's an abundance of live albums out there, all lovingly put together by Mr. Fripp - the best one is Absent Lovers, from an 84 gig, I think.
However avoid, Earthbound, their first live album.

2 box sets were released in 04 and 05, covering 69-74 and 81-03(forgive me if the dates are wrong). Excellent also, with some some rare live tracks.

Then start listening to the "projeKts", welcome to the other side.......

I like Lizard. Indoor games and happy family are two awesome tunes. Islands kinda sucked in comparison I would agree, and In The Wake of Poseiden is actually pretty cool, IMO.

I've also got the 4 disc boxed set called "The Great Deceiver" which is a compilation of live recordings from the 73/74 era and it's really cool for die-hard fans. It was released in the nineties. It was like 70 bucks and has some repeat tracks done differently which is pretty awesome. The book it comes with is really interesting to read, written by Robert Fripp. I guess Fripp got tired of seeing all the bootlegs in Japan going around so he made his own "bootleg" collection so he could get a piece of the action. He explains in his book all the problems with the music biz and has some very funny parts in it. Very cool to hear versions of 21st century with John Wetton and Bruford and Fripp as a 3-pc. I highly recommend it to those who like a hard-rockin live sound. Prob much cheaper if you bought it now.

QUOTE (Larks @ Mar 29 2006, 03:54 PM)
IMO king crimson are the most talented and amazing band ever.
In the court of the crimson king is without a doubt the best album in the world, robert fripp is god.

start with-in the court,and other great albums are:larks tongues in aspic,lizard,in the wake of posedions and red.
for the more newer king crimson pick Thrak

On Larks Tongues in Aspic (one of my all-time fav albums), Exiles is a very badass tune. Kinda mellow with acoustic guitar but outrageously heavy basswork. Very original and awesome with a good subwoofer!

On Lizard, the acoustic guitar work is phenominal on "Indoor Games". That too has some cool bass layered ontop as well. Very cool stuff that most people have never heard.

I picked up Red today, and I do hear the vast difference in eras here. This band is crazy!! Just my style tongue.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ May 11 2006, 06:31 PM)
I picked up Red today, and I do hear the vast difference in eras here. This band is crazy!! Just my style tongue.gif

"One More Red Nightmare" off Red is def one of my fav's. I'll tell you what, tho, if you haven't checked out "Indiscipline" from "Three of a Perfect Pair Live In Japan" video, you're missing out. It's now available now on the new "neal and jack and me" dvd. It's not explainable in words. You've gotta see it to believe it. It inspired me to implement electronics once again (third time as a drummer, wtf?) in my new band SimplySick, especially from an aesthetic standpoint. The fine print: We've got a possible deal with Virgin Records, so maybe I'll be able to quit my day job for a while and do what I never thought possible: Play drums for 45 minutes to 3 hours a night, not "go to work" and love life. Work is good at times, but I wanna rock. -lol We'll see. Anyway, if it inspired an aging metal drummer like me, it has to pack some punch...

trink39.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ May 11 2006, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ May 11 2006, 06:31 PM)
I picked up Red today, and I do hear the vast difference in eras here. This band is crazy!! Just my style  tongue.gif

"One More Red Nightmare" off Red is def one of my fav's. I'll tell you what, tho, if you haven't checked out "Indiscipline" from "Three of a Perfect Pair Live In Japan" video, you're missing out. It's now available now on the new "neal and jack and me" dvd. It's not explainable in words. You've gotta see it to believe it. It inspired me to implement electronics once again (third time as a drummer, wtf?) in my new band SimplySick, especially from an aesthetic standpoint. The fine print: We've got a possible deal with Virgin Records, so maybe I'll be able to quit my day job for a while and do what I never thought possible: Play drums for 45 minutes to 3 hours a night, not "go to work" and love life. Work is good at times, but I wanna rock. -lol We'll see. Anyway, if it inspired an aging metal drummer like me, it has to pack some punch...

trink39.gif

Sounds awesome! I can only imagine how great the video is trink39.gif It's always great to be inspired by another band yes.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ May 11 2006, 03:31 PM)

*cough* Get Lizard *cough*

sorry, just a little phlegm there. unsure.gif

*takes cough drop*

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 16 2006, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ May 11 2006, 03:31 PM)
I picked up Red today, and I do hear the vast difference in eras here. This band is crazy!! Just my style  tongue.gif

*cough* Get Lizard *cough*

sorry, just a little phlegm there. unsure.gif

*takes cough drop*

ph34r.gif

Let me help you with that cough syrup (*gives another spoonful) tongue.gif

Unfortunately the store I was at didn't have that one Rushgoober, but I promise to get it next time I have a chance! I trust your recomendation! yes.gif

Hi CYG! bekloppt.gif

Sorry if this was mentioned before, but Discipline is the 1st of a kind of "trilogy" of the Belew era (and current lead singer) The second being Beat, then the amazing Three of a Perfect Pair. It's a great way to get the feel of this era!!

And they come in pretty colorful cd covers! wub.gif

mmmmmmmmmmmmcrimsonsogoodsogood heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

Archived