Porcupine Tree

Rush!

In Abstentia... Blackest eyes is a great track, and the next one is alright, but it sort of loses me from there on.

However, I think Deadwing would find its place in my top 20 albums of all time (were I to bother to make such a list). It is incredible!

I need to listen to all of IA again... it's been a while; maybe I'll give it another chance.

...and that's all the PT I know.

In Absentia sucks. YOU MUST ALL BUY "ON THE SUNDAY OF LIFE"!!!!!!

PT was better when they were a spacey progressive band. They're getting a bit much into the Hot Topic whiny emo teenager with overdramatic pseudo-sorrowful imagery now. Steven Wilson is a brilliant musician, but also one of the biggest egomaniacs on this side of the music business.

And until you've heard the old drummer on a couple of albums, you'll never understand how badly the new guy overplays.

Words cannot describe how much I love Porcupine Tree. I got into them about 2 1/2 years ago and they are now my 2nd favorite band of all-time, behind only Rush.

I love all eras of the band, although On the Sunday of Life is pretty spotty. Lightbulb Sun is my favorite individual studio album.

Steven Wilson is a brilliant musician, but also one of the biggest egomaniacs on this side of the music business.

Aren't most musical geniuses or brilliant songwriters, whichever you want to call Wilson, egomaniacs? It is often that ego that drives them to be as good as they are.

QUOTE (The Great Zo @ May 26 2006, 05:19 PM)
They're getting a bit much into the Hot Topic whiny emo teenager with overdramatic pseudo-sorrowful imagery now.

Urm, no they're not.

I think you need to listen to them and emo music properly. PT still have thought provoking lyrics, even if they are on a more depressing side. Emo music is NOT thought provoking.

Try and get your facts right next time you try and come in with an argument wink.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 31 2006, 07:39 AM)
QUOTE (The Great Zo @ May 26 2006, 05:19 PM)
They're getting a bit much into the Hot Topic whiny emo teenager with overdramatic pseudo-sorrowful imagery now.

Urm, no they're not.

I think you need to listen to them and emo music properly. PT still have thought provoking lyrics, even if they are on a more depressing side. Emo music is NOT thought provoking.

Try and get your facts right next time you try and come in with an argument wink.gif

Yeah I have to disagree with that statement as well. PT are one of the last bands I would ever expect to see getting a swing of Fall Out Boy/My Chemical Romance fans. Not todays version of emo in the slightest. When I went to see them last year, it was all people in thier mid 20's and older who were just rocking out to the music, no emo kids.

I must show this picture off every chance I get. My one and only moment of fanboyish dipshitism. I did everything I could to cover it up, but it still breaks through by the idiotic look on my face. This also happened to be on my bday. Best present ever.

http://myspace-873.vo.llnwd.net/00277/37/83/277143873_l.jpg

QUOTE (The Great Zo @ May 26 2006, 12:19 PM)
In Absentia sucks. YOU MUST ALL BUY "ON THE SUNDAY OF LIFE"!!!!!!

PT was better when they were a spacey progressive band. They're getting a bit much into the Hot Topic whiny emo teenager with overdramatic pseudo-sorrowful imagery now. Steven Wilson is a brilliant musician, but also one of the biggest egomaniacs on this side of the music business.

And until you've heard the old drummer on a couple of albums, you'll never understand how badly the new guy overplays.

Are you speaking of the early to mid 90's PT period? I only have Signify and Deadwing. I really like Deadwing a lot and have been thinking about picking up In Absentia. I have also heard 1995's The Sky Moves Sideways is a great album as well.

Archived