Illegal to be drunk in Texas Bars

alphseeker

The problem I have with this is that it is completely subjective. I live across a state highway from our local hotel, Houston 59 and 6. As an expat worker here a couple of times a week myself and a few UK work mates will head across for a number of beers, no cars involved and a five minute walk home.

Now, I can assure you I never get 'shitfaced' but the fact is because of all those beaker of coke slurping, burger munching mobile phone using fuckwits turning left on a walk sign I will probably end up in jail for succumbing to the temptation to jaywalk because in Texas pedestrian crossings at intersections are by far the most dangerous place to cross a road!

I will say I am absolutely horrified at the blaze attitude to rubber driving that exists in Texas, truly endemic.

trink38.gif + boarder.gif = fing.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas is completely insane in the manner in which it deals with the sale of alcoholic beverages... I don't think there's another state quite like it.

For example, I played a gig in a bar in Lewisville this past Friday. The gig had to end at midnight because the bar could not sell alcohol past midnight on a Friday (it extends to 1 AM on Saturday, whoopee...). But I can go to a club in Euless, TX and stay until around 2 AM no problem.

I can buy all the beer and wine I want in my town (Watauga), but no liquor. I can go to a liquor store in Fort Worth, but if I go to a restaurant and buy a drink, I must present my license and sign a form, which allows me membership into their "club" which can then sell me liquor "privately". However, I cannot buy alcohol anywhere I know of before noon on a Sunday.

I swear I need a book or chart to tell me what I can get where and when. It's so damned confusing it could drive me to drink! wink.gif

QUOTE (Milton Banana @ Jul 31 2006, 11:16 PM)
Texas is completely insane in the manner in which it deals with the sale of alcoholic beverages... I don't think there's another state quite like it.

For example, I played a gig in a bar in Lewisville this past Friday. The gig had to end at midnight because the bar could not sell alcohol past midnight on a Friday (it extends to 1 AM on Saturday, whoopee...). But I can go to a club in Euless, TX and stay until around 2 AM no problem.

I can buy all the beer and wine I want in my town (Watauga), but no liquor. I can go to a liquor store in Fort Worth, but if I go to a restaurant and buy a drink, I must present my license and sign a form, which allows me membership into their "club" which can then sell me liquor "privately". However, I cannot buy alcohol anywhere I know of before noon on a Sunday.

I swear I need a book or chart to tell me what I can get where and when. It's so damned confusing it could drive me to drink! wink.gif

laugh.gif Sorry, I'm laughing with you, not at you. Didn't you move to Texas from Washington, or something like that? I believe you are the Milton Banana from CP with whom I joked about the traffic here. Things ARE screwy here, and it doesn't end with the bizarre liquor laws either. You should have been here for the Blue Laws. Retailers had to abide by these weird and non-sensical laws applicable on Sundays only where, for example, they could sell you a hammer but not nails. Welcome to the Bible Belt and all of its confusing wonders! wacko.gif fing.gif

Sullysue, I believe the 'hammer and nails law' was introduced to combat a wave of 'self crucifiction' sweeping the Bible Belt at the time. Fortunately the craze soon died out once people realized its impossible to hammer in the last nail!!!!!

I'll get my coat....... bolt.gif

QUOTE (dons01 @ Aug 1 2006, 05:33 PM)
Sullysue, I believe the 'hammer and nails law' was introduced to combat a wave of 'self crucifiction' sweeping the Bible Belt at the time. Fortunately the craze soon died out once people realized its impossible to hammer in the last nail!!!!!

I'll get my coat....... bolt.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif Oh, my God. You hit the nail right on the head!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 1 2006, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Milton Banana @ Jul 31 2006, 11:16 PM)
Texas is completely insane in the manner in which it deals with the sale of alcoholic beverages...  I don't think there's another state quite like it.

For example, I played a gig in a bar in Lewisville this past Friday.  The gig had to end at midnight because the bar could not sell alcohol past midnight on a Friday (it extends to 1 AM on Saturday, whoopee...).  But I can go to a club in Euless, TX and stay until around 2 AM no problem.

I can buy all the beer and wine I want in my town (Watauga), but no liquor.  I can go to a liquor store in Fort Worth, but if I go to a restaurant and buy a drink, I must present my license and sign a form, which allows me membership into their "club" which can then sell me  liquor "privately".  However, I cannot buy alcohol anywhere I know of before noon on a Sunday.

I swear I need a book or chart to tell me what I can get where and when.  It's so damned confusing it could drive me to drink!  wink.gif

laugh.gif Sorry, I'm laughing with you, not at you. Didn't you move to Texas from Washington, or something like that? I believe you are the Milton Banana from CP with whom I joked about the traffic here. Things ARE screwy here, and it doesn't end with the bizarre liquor laws either. You should have been here for the Blue Laws. Retailers had to abide by these weird and non-sensical laws applicable on Sundays only where, for example, they could sell you a hammer but not nails. Welcome to the Bible Belt and all of its confusing wonders! wacko.gif fing.gif

Holy black cow batman, is this thread still alive??!! Good to see you're still on the case SS.

Personally, all the differing laws and such are a terrific pain in the arse, as I enjoy an adult beverage as much as (or more than) the next guy. Yet I support the way Tejas allows the locals to decide for themselves if and when alcohol is available. This means that if you want to live in an alcohol free area you can, or you can live smack in the middle of several bars. This to me is the libertarian ideal. This ideal is destroyed however, by the state mandated limits on hours of sale, and the outright prohibition of hard stuff on SunGodDay.

RIP Blue Laws!!! trink39.gif

I'll get my coat.......  bolt.gif

Not true, Don. Texas had Sen. Tom DeLay, and he was perfectly adept at crucifying himself!

QUOTE (Milton Banana @ Aug 1 2006, 08:22 PM)

I'll get my coat.......  bolt.gif

Not true, Don. Texas had Sen. Tom DeLay, and he was perfectly adept at crucifying himself!

Yup! It only takes one of each to nail your own ass to the wall.