Dr Who

Arndrake

I was very pleased to see that Sci Fi is now showing the new episodes of Dr Who. OK, so they are not new. There seems to be a bit of lag getting TV shows across the Pond. Sci Fi appears to be well committed to trying to help create fans of The Doctor here in the U.S. The episodes are being shown on Fridays between SG-1 and Atlantis while Galactica is between seasons.

I have to say, after seeing the first two episodes, that the show has much of what made the original show good. It has adventure, humor, wit, and a touch of horror. Christopher Eccleston is an interesting choice as the Doctor. His Doctor kind of comes across as a touch of a hoodlum with the leather coat and devil-may-care attitude. Billie Piper is pretty and her character, Rose, comes across as an adventurous spirit who is a little overwhelmed by how much adventure the Doctor can provide. As they journey backward and forward in time and journey to other worlds, meeting new and old enemies, I sense the adventures will get even better. I look forward to seeing more episodes.

It was filmed in my home city Cardiff, Wales.

smile.gif

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mikerossi/plodder/Dr%20Plodder.jpg

Me in front of the Tardis couple of years ago.

I saw an episode of this the other night, and thought it was pretty entertaining. I'd heard of Dr. Who before, but didn't know it was an actual show.

Tom Baker has always been my favorite Doc. At least its on a cable network now, I used to watch the Doctor on my local PBS station when I was a kid. Peter Davidson did a good doc too. I never saw any of the Colin Baker eps. I got to see about 10 minutes of the new one before I went to work. First impression.....the Farcape design team had a hand in desinging the new insides of the Tardis.

QUOTE (Xeislan @ Mar 23 2006, 09:45 AM)
Tom Baker has always been my favorite Doc. At least its on a cable network now, I used to watch the Doctor on my local PBS station when I was a kid. Peter Davidson did a good doc too. I never saw any of the Colin Baker eps. I got to see about 10 minutes of the new one before I went to work. First impression.....the Farcape design team had a hand in desinging the new insides of the Tardis.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Xeislan @ Mar 23 2006, 09:45 AM)
Tom Baker has always been my favorite Doc.  At least its on a cable network now, I used to watch the Doctor on my local PBS station when I was a kid.  Peter Davidson did a good doc too.  I never saw any of the Colin Baker eps.  I got to see about 10 minutes of the new one before I went to work.  First impression.....the Farcape design team had a hand in desinging the new insides of the Tardis.

Agreed Tom Baker was my favorite too.

See all previous 8 Doctor Whos

I just started watching the first season of the new Doctor Who a few weeks ago.

I had been taping it for a friend, but hadn't been watching it (I largely gave up watching TV years ago). I watched one episode, got hooked, and then went back through my tapes and was able to see most of the first season.

It looks like the USA will get a standard boxed DVD set in July. The UK got a bigger boxed set in the shape of the TARDIS. I'll end up getting one or the other in July (I'm still hoping the bigger box gets released for region 1 smile.gif )

Tom Baker is the Doctor for me, too. Then Peter Davidson.

QUOTE (Batman @ Nov 15 2006, 02:12 PM)
Anyone still watching this.

I am loving the new doctor.

Trying to, although finding the time is difficult.

I did think Eccleston's Doctor was interesting, kind of a rebel. Tennant's Doctor kind of hearkens back to the older ones, although he kind of comes across like Davison's version.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Nov 15 2006, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Nov 15 2006, 02:12 PM)
Anyone still watching this.

I am loving the new doctor.

Trying to, although finding the time is difficult.

I did think Eccleston's Doctor was interesting, kind of a rebel. Tennant's Doctor kind of hearkens back to the older ones, although he kind of comes across like Davison's version.

I think thats why I like him.

Reminds me of watching it on PBS when I was a Kid. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 14 2007, 10:48 PM)
Time to bring this thread back.

So, did any Americans get the chance to see The Runaway Bride (Christmas '06 Special)? And more importantly, have any of you heard the rumours for the upcoming third series?

From what i've heard, it's going to be absolutely brilliant.

I've just read (over at marillion.com, bizarrely) that the new season is going to start on BBC1 on either the 24th or 31st of March new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 19 2007, 11:41 AM)

Can anyone give me recommendations of what DVD's to get of the 1st-7th Doctors? I need some more good ones!

I can recommend for the 4th Doctor Tom Baker (since he is my classic favorite):

Logolopolis and Hand of Evil

Edited by redlake

QUOTE (redlake @ Mar 21 2007, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Feb 19 2007, 11:41 AM)

Can anyone give me recommendations of what DVD's to get of the 1st-7th Doctors? I need some more good ones!

I can recommend for the 4th Doctor Tom Baker (since he is my classic favorite):

Logolopolis and Hand of Evil

Thank you! Got City of Death last weekend, and should get Genesis of the Daleks next weekend

30 MINUTES UNTIL SERIES THREE STARTS! 653.gif

The first Doctor that I saw was Jon Pertwee back in the early 70s and he was the best for me. When they brought in Tom Baker I wasn't so sure about him at first and it took me a full series to get used to him. After the next season though he'd won me over totally and for the next 5 seasons till 1981 he proved he was the best of Doctor of them all.

The actors who followed, Peter Davidson, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy were absolutely shocking, abysmal in fact, along with the scripts. And between them, over the next 7 years, they destroyed the whole show. Peter Davidson was more like one of the Doctor's assistants, Colin Baker was like a parody of Tom Baker and Mccoy, while being the right type to play the Doctor, was hampered by the seeming desire by the producers to make the show into a kid's pantomime...

The last three guys including the new one are or were all too young to play the doctor, though David Tennent does have that little bit wild-eyed eccentricity that's required.

Tom Baker's the king though and always will be...

http://www.foolquest.com/trek%20pix/Tom_Baker_4_b.jpg