Heading to the NAMM show

CygnusX-1Bk2

Getting ready to head down to Anaheim for this year's NAMM show. I will report back any interesting findings and post pics if I get some good ones.

All the new gear for this year will be displayed. Gotta love the NAMM show!

I'll take 2 Neve 1066's, a Teletronix LA2A and a Universal Audio 1176LN.

Please.......... laugh.gif

Yeah, that'll be $15,000 thank you. laugh.gif laugh.gif

You have expensive taste!

What, no Millenia, Empirical Labs or SSL for you?

The first studio I learned in had an LA2A.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jan 18 2006, 07:42 PM)
Check out the First-act booth - i'm interested in their Deliah and the Lola customs if you have time - tell me which one you would prefer -
Thanks

I'll check 'em out. First-Act makes children's instruments correct?

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 19 2006, 03:40 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jan 18 2006, 07:42 PM)
Check out the First-act booth - i'm interested in their Deliah and the Lola customs if you have time - tell me which one you would prefer -
Thanks

I'll check 'em out. First-Act makes children's instruments correct?

uh yeah that's right - kid's toys - the delia (kid's semi-hollow toy) was given a great review in this months guitar world - just curious to know what their like since can't find one anywhere -

Thanks

Sorry, never made it to First Act. They were there, but the show is so overwhelming that everytime I inteded to get over to it to check it out something or someone would distract me to the point of getting diverted elsewhere.

Not a lot new this year. I have some pictures that I will post when I get a chance.

I did get a chance to check out the TC-Helicon VoiceLive that Drumnut asked about in another thread. It was pretty cool. I heard it through speakers and headphones. Over speakers it was quite airy sounding. The demo guy had it setup for 4 part harmony. It has inteligent pitch so when he bent notes it was enharmonic to the key he was singing in. The transitions were fairly smooth over the speakers. When listening on headphones it did have a bit more of a synthetic feel, yet still fairly listenable. Because there a serious calculations happening there was some latency happening with some of the voices (slight delay). Over all it seems like a very useful device for specific applications. I got a demo disc that I still have to check out.

The show is so large and so overwhelming it will take me a day or so to go through all of the product literature and demo discs.

Worth mentioning:

Zildjian was kind of a disappointment for me this year. In fact I didn't even listen to everything they had displayed because I didn't hear much I liked. Sabian has a new line developed with Dave Weckl called Legacy. There was a ride cymbal in particular that I liked. It is a thinner ride cymbal with 5 large holes around half of the cymbal. When used as a ride it is very dry with little overtone buildup. When used as a crash it was nice and trashy, much like a china but with a very long decay. Very tasty. The rest of the Legacy line resemble older A Zildjians from the 80s in much the same way as Paragons. They are out-Zildjian-ing Zildjian.

Meinl also had some really nice cymbals. Not much new, but their Amun and Byzance lines are quite tasty. Amun crashes, splashes and rides are nice and the Byzance hats and rides are probably the ones I like the best.

Paiste has a lot left to be desired as far as standard cymbals go, but their chimes an other percusion items are pretty nice.

Craviatto is making full kits now. They had some shallow toms that just sang, all about 5 inches deep. They had a 10 inch that was just amazing sounding.

Reason is the be-all-end-all software synth/sampler and general Swiss Army knife processor made by Propellerheads Software in Sweden. This program is awesome. It can be used as a stand alone or as a Re-Wire instrument for your DAW. There isn't much it can't do. We will be using this for Trilogy as well as use it for sound design and voice processing where I work.

Gibson had some nice guitars on display. I saw a cool SG and Les Paul that had some hot rod finishes. The Les Paul even had a hood-style cowell covering the bridge and tailpiece. Very cool. They also had some guitars with clear pickup spools that reveal the wire windings and pole pieces. They also showed a new Jimi Hendrix psychedelic Flying V and a Peter Frampton Les Paul Junior with 3 P-90 pickups (kind of strange).

I played a lot of cymbals and a lot of drums. The only guitar I played was a MusicMan Steve Morse "Frankenstein" style. The MusicMan/Ernie Ball both was made up like Caddy Shack, complete with dancing gopher and hot chick named Lacey on the putting green.

As for things Rush, it is Fender's 60th anniversary this year so all of their artists had special promo shots posted all over. There was our hero Geddy in a picture with the 2112 Jazz bass (the red one). Also Hughes and Kettner had a very large display with a mammoth picture of Alex, as well as his new model amp with a 4 x 12 cab.

Pictures to come.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Thanks for checking out the TC-Helicon VoiceLive! trink39.gif I need to get to a Guitar Center that has one in stock. I want to check it out for compatibility with midi to follow chord and key changes like the Digitech Vocalist does.

The harmonizer sounded really good, almost Eventide-like. It is midi capable. The demo guy seemed to change keys at will.

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/picturesoflily.jpg

Me behind a replica of Moonie's Pictures of Lily Premier drum kit.

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mickydolenz.jpg

Micky Dolenz and me. When I was very young Micky was an inspiration to me, way before Neil. Little did I know then.

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jimandampsm.jpg

Me and Alex's Amp. Wish I could have played though it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~trilogy-band/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jimandal.jpg

Me and the Al display. There was a cool picture of Geddy at the Fender booth, but my friend with the camera wasn't with me there.