marillion thread

Tick

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 15 2009, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Jul 15 2009, 05:41 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 15 2009, 03:54 AM)
I liked the album Clutching At Straws with Warm Wet Circles on it.

But that song shows that the guitarist was clearly trying to sound like Steve Hackett as you can hear on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-qbFee8VPU

I still like them though! common001.gif

I couldn't tell ya if he was trying to sound like Hackett or not, but WWC is the best song on the record.

Then check this thread to hear and see this great musician!

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=49333

I checked out all the songs and yes Rothery does have a Hackett like sound.

Hackett is REALLY good!!!

When it's all said and done though, so much of the prog coming out of Europe from the early 80's has a very distinct sound which seems to have been shared by many of the bands from those days, Genesis, Saga (canada), Marillion, and Hackett now, just to name a few.

I really love Rothery's tone, and he's just awesome.

Clutching at Straws was really a great album and I think I appreciate it more now than I did in '87 when I first got it (my cassette copy has long since bitten the dust)...time to get it on CD

Back to more Marillion youtube vids.

Thanks for the hook up Earthshine

U 1022.gif

Mr. H's solo show last night. Sensational. Tiny venue, great crowd, bar a phantom farter, gobshite would have a gotten a size 11 in the arse if I could have pinpointed the filthy animal.

Steve was in sparkling form, he'd play 3 tunes then field some questions and have a bit of a chat. Can't remember all the setlist, but this is close...

The Party

Easter

On the Street Where You Live

Lover You Should Have Come Over

Cover My Eyes

Fantastic Place

Hard As Love

House

Real Tears for Sale

Estonia

The Whole of the Moon

Cloudbusting

Three Minute Boy

The covers were fantastic. The Whole of the Moon was epic. It's a song I normally don't like due it's ubiquitousness over here.

Three Minute Boy at the end was really charged, crowd bellowing. Excellent night.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 7 2010, 09:04 AM)
Mr. H's solo show last night. Sensational. Tiny venue, great crowd, bar a phantom farter, gobshite would have a gotten a size 11 in the arse if I could have pinpointed the filthy animal.

Steve was in sparkling form, he'd play 3 tunes then field some questions and have a bit of a chat. Can't remember all the setlist, but this is close...

The Party
Easter
On the Street Where You Live
Lover You Should Have Come Over
Cover My Eyes
Fantastic Place
Hard As Love
House
Real Tears for Sale
Estonia
The Whole of the Moon
Cloudbusting
Three Minute Boy

The covers were fantastic. The Whole of the Moon was epic. It's a song I normally  don't like due it's ubiquitousness over here.

Three Minute Boy at the end was really charged, crowd bellowing. Excellent night.

Oh, wow. Must have been amazing.

I don't know any of his solo stuff, but you KNOW I would have been falling all over the place when they did Fantastic Place.

Sounds like a good show. So glad you were able to catch it. trink39.gif

edit: He did HOUSE too?!?! OMG I would have been a complete mess!!!!

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 6 2005, 09:47 AM)
one of the best kept secrets in music,the latest release marbles is a classic.if you dont own it you should. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I am a huge fan up to Fish leaving. After that I couldn't get into the band. I have tried countless times. I think it is due to the new vocalist.

QUOTE (Sark @ Dec 10 2005, 11:04 AM)
They actually opened for Rush at one time. Man, that would have been the best concert. I've heard some good things about Marbles but I must say I'm partial to the Fish material. His solo stuff is good too. I love the song Credo 1022.gif

I think it was the Power Windows Tour. I saw two shows from that tour, one in Rochester and one in Buffalo. I don't remember which city had Marillion open but I was very impressed at that time and went out and bought "A Brief Encounter". "Clutching at Straws" is their best IMO.

So far, I've heard 2 Fish albums and 6 Hogarth albums. I've enjoyed all of them, but from what I've heard, I prefer Hogarth's voice over Fish's. This might change once I listen to Misplaced Childhood, which I ordered last week.

I really want to see this band live. They are touring Europe with Deep Purple, and DP is supposedly going to tour America in 2011, so I hope Marillion will still be the opener.

Deep Purple and Marillion in one night would be awesome. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Picture Moving @ Nov 7 2010, 10:01 PM)
Possibly only been into Marillion for around 12 months, I have the first 4 albums which I love.

Wondered whether the Hogarth era is worth listening to?

Better if you ask me, and I LOVE the Fish era. H is a tremendous vocalist and lyricist.

I just got "In The Last Waking Moments..." by Pete Trewavas' project Edison's Children. All the members of Marillion make guest appearances. Any Marillion fan that doesn't have this should consider picking it up - Its really good!

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/6967/cover_0531619122011_r.jpg