I Don't Know Shit About BMW, I'm Thinking of Going BMW

JohnRogers

13 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

I can't build one at bmwusa.com as the article specs out.

Gotta wait brah, it just got revealed. The new Tacoma got revealed seven months ago and the build & price tool still isn't out.

In general, it would be a $70-75k car. Oof. Makes me buddies' lightly used 2022 Supra at $47k a little more digestible.

Edited by That One Guy

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Gotta wait brah, it just got revealed. The new Tacoma got revealed seven months ago and the build & price tool still isn't out.

In general, it would be a $70-75k car. Oof. Makes me buddies' lightly used 2022 Supra at $47k a little more digestible.

Okay, I’ll be more patient.

I’ll skip the leather. 

5 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Okay, I’ll be more patient.

I’ll skip the leather. 

I hate how the "fancy" brands make everything a la carte. Adaptive Cruise Control is standard equipment on a base $22,000 Corolla, and has been for a few years now. On a $125k 911? $2,500 option. That Z4? $500 option.

My 4Runner has a standard heated steering wheel (...on a high up trim). How much do I have to pay to get that with ze Germans?

On 12/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, That One Guy said:

I hate how the "fancy" brands make everything a la carte. Adaptive Cruise Control is standard equipment on a base $22,000 Corolla, and has been for a few years now. On a $125k 911? $2,500 option. That Z4? $500 option.

My 4Runner has a standard heated steering wheel (...on a high up trim). How much do I have to pay to get that with ze Germans?

Yeah, when buying a nearly $70K car it should come with plenty of kit.

My purchase window is March-April-May 2024, unless I buy a '78 Pontiac out of California in January. That gives me plenty of time to see where my true desire takes me. As a gear head I believe there are some vehicles to own before ending this mortal coil. I've had my early first gen Mustang, two Corvettes and a Wrangler used on the trails. BMW, the ultimate driving machine is on the list. I claim to know nothing about BMW, which is mostly true other than the floggings I've seen on Top Gear/The Grand Tour. I do know that many enthusiasts feel that BMW has been losing it's way for over decade. This manual/performance package Z4 might be my last best hope for getting the right BMW.

Is this Z4 worth $58K more than the driving experience of 2019 Spider Abarth?

I'm still considering a late C6 GS or early C7, my xenophobia and money sense might have me get my third 'Vette. I'm watching the next generation Dodge. Still, that Z4 might be fun for a few years and scratch that itch. 

On 12/12/2023 at 9:27 AM, That One Guy said:

I hate how the "fancy" brands make everything a la carte.

Apparently people with a lot of money don't mind paying extra for everything even at places like Ruth's Chris. You want a steak? $52.00 You want a baked potato? $15. You want green beans? $10.50. 

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

Yeah, when buying a nearly $70K car it should come with plenty of kit.

My purchase window is March-April-May 2024, unless I buy a '78 Pontiac out of California in January. That gives me plenty of time to see where my true desire takes me. As a gear head I believe there are some vehicles to own before ending this mortal coil. I've had my early first gen Mustang, two Corvettes and a Wrangler used on the trails. BMW, the ultimate driving machine is on the list. I claim to know nothing about BMW, which is mostly true other than the floggings I've seen on Top Gear/The Grand Tour. I do know that many enthusiasts feel that BMW has been losing it's way for over decade. This manual/performance package Z4 might be my last best hope for getting the right BMW.

Is this Z4 worth $58K more than the driving experience of 2019 Spider Abarth?

I'm still considering a late C6 GS or early C7, my xenophobia and money sense might have me get my third 'Vette. I'm watching the next generation Dodge. Still, that Z4 might be fun for a few years and scratch that itch. 

Tell me this is the Pontiac you're maybe getting. This is a '79 but you get the drift. Do it.5480097494_d1763bcc87_b.jpg

13 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

Tell me this is the Pontiac you're maybe getting. This is a '79 but you get the drift. Do it.5480097494_d1763bcc87_b.jpg

1978 Pontiac Grand Am - Picture 1 of 16

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235312115807?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CYjvU1HAQVO&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=9Xi0sn5pT_6&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 9:08 PM, That One Guy said:

What's the rationale? Are the SuperDuperCouper and the TransgenderAm being too reliable?

I'm just in the mood to move on and experience something else.

38 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

I'm just in the mood to move on and experience something else.

That's fair. I would get sick of wheezy breezy no-powa malaise V8's eventually as well, even if they sound lovely, and give you a lot of time to experience the sound before incurring legal problems.

Had my Miata for just shy of five years now. Might sell it around the end of next year or the spring of 2025. I've had enough times in it, and my body is becoming too old-man-ey for a stick. That thing has been from Rapid City to Crescent City, Salmon ID to St. George UT, and everywhere in between.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Haha 1