New Sloppy Foot Cowboys - Our Naked Problem

On 11/17/2023 at 7:33 AM, Prime Mover and Shaker said:

We're back like a bad rash!

Here is the new album on Bandcamp:   https://sloppyfootcowboys.bandcamp.com/album/our-naked-problem

"Fishtail" is the most serious song ever, as far as songs inspired by Bass Pro Shops go, so be sure to check it out!  :P

Finally managed a full listen through uninterrupted.  Fishtail definitely jumps out.  The obvious Primus nods in there duly noted.  ;)

I like the musical idea of the song that followed (Bite Marks), but Mike's vocals are just a bit too muddied so I'd need lyrics for that one.

The opening track and the intentional dissonance I found somewhat off putting, but I wouldn't say it was failed execution maybe just a couple overdub choices that may have created a bit too much attitude/tension.

Very ambitious mix of styles, sometimes within the same song.  It feels like a natural progression from the past couple albums.  I'd say an incremental bump in the mix quality, very little jumps out at me when listening critically.

The drums are improved, though still sometimes a bit mechanical overall I thought they felt more 'live'/session player.  Your vocals worked but I might have EQ'd and effected them to give them a bit more meat.  We could do a mix session sometime if you'd like I could remote into your computer and we can tinker with The Wheel or one of the other tracks I thought needed a bit of adjustment/different strategy.  On the other end of the spectrum, Mike's vocals seemed to always have a bit too much effect on them.  Sometimes less is more, which allows the moments where effects are used to help elevate those moments with greater impact.

Anyway, degraded into rambling about mix engineering.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Oh, and very much worth noting -- Paul's guitar work on several of these songs is very interesting and accomplished.  I kinda feel like this project has given him an opportunity to explore the instrument more than he seemed to on the earlier albums.  His musical fingerprints are all over this album in a good way.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 5:57 AM, stoopid said:

Finally managed a full listen through uninterrupted.  Fishtail definitely jumps out.  The obvious Primus nods in there duly noted.  ;)

I like the musical idea of the song that followed (Bite Marks), but Mike's vocals are just a bit too muddied so I'd need lyrics for that one.

The opening track and the intentional dissonance I found somewhat off putting, but I wouldn't say it was failed execution maybe just a couple overdub choices that may have created a bit too much attitude/tension.

Very ambitious mix of styles, sometimes within the same song.  It feels like a natural progression from the past couple albums.  I'd say an incremental bump in the mix quality, very little jumps out at me when listening critically.

The drums are improved, though still sometimes a bit mechanical overall I thought they felt more 'live'/session player.  Your vocals worked but I might have EQ'd and effected them to give them a bit more meat.  We could do a mix session sometime if you'd like I could remote into your computer and we can tinker with The Wheel or one of the other tracks I thought needed a bit of adjustment/different strategy.  On the other end of the spectrum, Mike's vocals seemed to always have a bit too much effect on them.  Sometimes less is more, which allows the moments where effects are used to help elevate those moments with greater impact.

Anyway, degraded into rambling about mix engineering.

As ever, very valuable feedback from you Kevin, and I (and I'm sure the others) will take your suggestions for improvement on board.....I like the idea of the mix session, anything that helps I'm on board with....When I have the time (and you) I think I'd like to pick your brains on the finer points of de-essing, I'm not sure I'm getting the best out of that effect.

Anyway, thanks very much for taking the time to critique our latest "opus", it means a lot....

On 11/22/2023 at 6:03 AM, stoopid said:

Oh, and very much worth noting -- Paul's guitar work on several of these songs is very interesting and accomplished.  I kinda feel like this project has given him an opportunity to explore the instrument more than he seemed to on the earlier albums.  His musical fingerprints are all over this album in a good way.

What can I say to this?.....coming from you this is high praise indeed, and I'm very grateful.

You're right, I think I've had more free time to spend on this album, and I agree it shows....I fell in love with playing again after a period of frustration and disillusionment and have been able to learn a few more techniques (including a weird hybrid sweep/tapping) which have added to my arsenal)

Anyway, enough about all that, appreciate the acknowledgement and onwards and upwards.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

As ever, very valuable feedback from you Kevin, and I (and I'm sure the others) will take your suggestions for improvement on board.....I like the idea of the mix session, anything that helps I'm on board with....When I have the time (and you) I think I'd like to pick your brains on the finer points of de-essing, I'm not sure I'm getting the best out of that effect.

Anyway, thanks very much for taking the time to critique our latest "opus", it means a lot....

Sibilance is the enemy, for sure.  I didn't hear much of it on this recording so you've likely figured that part out.  Most plugin brands have a de-esser in their lineup, I use the Waves plugins most for these quick fix things.  Some vocal plugin packages will include one along with other quick tools like eq, reverb, compression, etc.  It's usually just a matter of finding the right amount top remove without also lobbing off any details you want to still keep in the vocal track.  You are always welcome to contact me, don't ever feel like it's a nag.

• Like 1

fwiw, when it comes to de-essing, I've never found a plugin that can control sibilants entirely to my satisfaction as an automatic process. While I found switching to a ribbon mic lessened the issue, that also didn't completely eliminate it. So I at least partly do it the tedious way - separating each sibilant that's still too loud (which is often a lot of them) and manually reducing its gain.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 7:33 AM, Prime Mover and Shaker said:

We're back like a bad rash!

Here is the new album on Bandcamp:   https://sloppyfootcowboys.bandcamp.com/album/our-naked-problem

"Fishtail" is the most serious song ever, as far as songs inspired by Bass Pro Shops go, so be sure to check it out!  :P

Looking forward to listening when I get home. Is there such a thing as a good rash?

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:32 AM, Vectorman said:

fwiw, when it comes to de-essing, I've never found a plugin that can control sibilants entirely to my satisfaction as an automatic process. While I found switching to a ribbon mic lessened the issue, that also didn't completely eliminate it. So I at least partly do it the tedious way - separating each sibilant that's still too loud (which is often a lot of them) and manually reducing its gain.

I wonder if it's at which step/stage in the chain you're using the de-esser(?).  I use the de-esser very early in the chain, and don't (typically) use heavy handed compression/gain on the vocal track.  Like you with de-essing, I'll raise/lower the vocal level using automation because I find compressors will hype sibilance.  So we do the same process, except I do it with the vocal's 'volume'/placement in the mix and you do it for de-essing.

Edited by stoopid

I think it's fairly early in the chain for me, too. But indeed, compression surely does accentuate it. I think the biggest godsend plugin I've found in recent times is oeksound soothe 2. All the excessive resonant peaks I used to tame with manual EQ band automation (like those pesky "e" vowels), that plugin clamps them down to the point that I hardly ever have to use EQ automation on a vocal now. Also can work a trick on other potentially harsh things like guitar solos.

Apologies to the Cowboys for going off on a vocal production tangent in the new album announcement thread, btw. Nice job on the new release, guys!

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 11:00 AM, BastillePark said:

Looking forward to listening when I get home. Is there such a thing as a good rash?

On a whole, all rashes are suspect.  This one's a bit pussy but heals after a couple years.  Scar is barely noticeable.

• Haha 1