Rush's record label...

Timbale

Has anyone ever read a description of the band naming the record label Anthem?  I can only assume this was Peart paying tribute to the Ayn Rand novella...but I've never heard any of them talk about what I guess is a re-naming from Moon records.

It seems a little bit funny that the new guy, in the band for such a short period of time, got to give the label its name...

37 minutes ago, Timbale said:

I always knew they should have put Bytor & The Snow Dog in the lead-off track position...

I would have gone with Rivendell, but that’s just me.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ytserush said:

That song included music from their first jam together which likely figured into it.

I suppose so...but if they had jammed Making Memories that day instead....I'm not sure they would have named the label that.  I mean, Peart named the song after the Ayn Rand book...so by extension they named the label after that too.  Always wondered if Ray had a say as well...

• Like 1

I think you're overthinking things a bit.

anthem

ăn′thəm

noun

1. A hymn of praise or loyalty.
  2. A choral composition having a sacred or moralizing text in English.
  3. A popular song, especially a rock song felt to sum up the attitudes or feelings associated with a period or social group.

That's about as on-the-nose as you can get for the name of a music label; the only really surprising thing about the choice is that no one else had called their label Anthem before Rush did.

The fact that it's also the name of a song the band wrote is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

I think you're overthinking things a bit.

That's about as on-the-nose as you can get for the name of a music label; the only really surprising thing about the choice is that no one else had called their label Anthem before Rush did.

The fact that it's also the name of a song the band wrote is just icing on the cake.

:yes:

Wait...

:no:

Too many bands and labels came before them for that to be the case