Wierdness in Jacob's Ladder (Live In Missouri, 1980)

currygoat11

This post is ridiculously inconsequential.

In Jacob's Ladder (Live In Missouri, 1980) from the Permanent Waves 40th anniversary, after the quiet synths section, why does the 6/7 guitar arpeggio section actually start off in 6/7, then inexplicably shift to 6/6 just one time right when the china symbol comes in? It's supposed to be in 6/7 throughout there..  what happened?  Or more importantly why do I care?!?! LOL I don't care, just thought it was completely weird. Here I've linked to the exact moment below..

I count it the way it's played on the studio, alternating measures of 6/8 and 7/8.

Oh yeah, I hear what you're hearing, there's a spot where he plays two measures of 6/8.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, JARG said:

I count it the way it's played on the studio, alternating measures of 6/8 and 7/8.

Oh yeah, I hear what you're hearing, there's a spot where he plays two measures of 6/8.

I haven't listened to the recording, just wanted to concur - 6/8 to 7/8.

10 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I haven't listened to the recording, just wanted to concur - 6/8 to 7/8.

The initial count on the video is 6/8, 7/8, 6/8, 6/8, and then drops into the regular pattern of 6 & 7.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

Now it's very possible there was some kind of minor mistake, and the audio was attempted to be repaired, but they made (another) mistake (?);

speaking of fixing mistakes, like on Different Stages on Xanadu live, where they covered up Neil's dropped drumstick on Different Stages, but once we got the same recording on A Farewell to Kings 40th, the mistake was instead preserved.

Edited by currygoat11

Just listened to it.  It actually sounds like he came in a beat late.  When Geddy hits the high note on the keyboard, he is supposed to start the arpeggio on that note.  Instead, there is a beat, and then he starts.  I don't know if he had the presence of mind to play two measures of 6/8 to correct the patter, because Neil comes in on time with the cymbal crash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maverick said:

Since we are picking apart these performances, what the heck is is Alex doing to the main lick at the end of The Spirit of Radio at 4:55?

Octave pedal? I'm trying to imagine playing that as we hear it....that's a lot of frets to jump...I sure as shit couldn't do it, not that smooth anyway.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, JARG said:

Octave pedal? I'm trying to imagine playing that as we hear it....that's a lot of frets to jump...I sure as shit couldn't do it, not that smooth anyway.

That very well could be it. Once again, we're being messed with.  Might be fun to try to recreate it with and octave up.

• Like 1